FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Was the right-hand cylinder cover a 'found' piece?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnglishArcher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Was the right-hand cylinder cover a 'found' piece? Reply with quote

I've been puzzling over this for a while now...

It's been known for a long time now that most of the components of the blaster were sourced from somewhere else - Steyr receiver, Bulldog frame, and so on.

Most of the components that were made specifically for the weapon, for example the grips and grip frame, are reasonably 'obvious' designs (notwithstanding the use of amber resin for the grips!), with quite straightforward geometries. In other words, there the sort of designs you can imagine a sci-fi gun-designer coming up with.

The right-hand cylinder cover, though, strikes me as a bit of an oddity. It is a very convoluted shape - the curves and fluting at the back end, the compound curves, the 'flange' on the bottom edge. It doesn't look 'hi-tech'; in fact it almost looks out of place on the weapon (familiarity has just made it look 'right'), its curvilinear shape in contrast to the rest of the gun's mostly rectilinear design. To me, it just doesn't look like the sort of thing a sci-fi gun-designer would invent, given the choice.

I can imagine it would be a nightmare to machine from solid (as a one-off)

Is there a possibility, then, that the cover was, in fact, a found piece? Modified by the gun maker (for example, milling a slot for the Steyr bolt handle) to fit the other components. It might explain details like why the Bulldog cylinder is exposed when the Steyr bolt handle is lifted.

The BIG question of course then becomes: if it is a found part, what was it originally?
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good question, I think it was made, after all the 44 has a large cylinder and it fits so right, I think they made it into a more custom shape so that it would help hide the fact we are looking at a revolver.

They do that alot now a days in Hollywood, covers and add ons to hide the real guns.

But I could be wrong so keep looking everyone.

My 2 cents.

RIch
EnglishArcher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - the part is almost definitely there to hide the cylinder.

On the left side the cylinder cover is fairly conventional: it covers the cylinder; and it has that (ubiquitous) sci-fi plant on (the t-shaped panel) It's pretty much what I'd expect: complex enough to disguise the underlying components, but reasonably straightforward in shape

It's the shape of the right-hand cover I find so extraordinary. Who, when asked to come up with a sci-fi gun design would think of that shape? It's too fluid, too artistic to be traditional 'sci-fi'

I keep coming back to shotgun components. Classic, side-by-side or over-and-under, sporting shotguns. Certainly, manufacturers of shotguns would be prepared to invest the time in creating aesthetically pleasing shapes. It would also fit in with the rest of the manufacturing ethos of the gun: basing it on existing, available (and not necessarily cheap) real-world gun parts wherever possible

I'm thinking shotgun receivers, like this:

Last edited by EnglishArcher on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnglishArcher wrote:
It's the shape of the right-hand cover I find so extraordinary. Who, when asked to come up with a sci-fi gun design would think of that shape? It's too fluid, too artistic to be 'sci-fi'

Well we know Ridley was looking at a lot of sci-fi imagery such as the works of Mobius ect, and may have suggested it be something fluid and styllized. Its possible that they went with a similar style when they came up with that part. They also probably had to solve two design problems: 1. make a shap that would hide the revolver cylinder without impeding its movement, and 2. a shape that integrates with the steyr bolt handle.

I agree its not necessarily a shape that is typically sci fi, but then again 25 years ago alot of sci fi designs were more fluid in shape and less mechanistic. Designing a weapon to look both functional and realistically plausible is tougher than it sounds, especially when you're trying to avoid having it look like a contemporary weapon. Its a problem I come up against routinely when doing concept art that features high tech or futuristic weapons.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
EnglishArcher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Mobius connection makes a lot of sense. I can see the shape appearing as a result of his influence.

It could have appeared as a direct contrast to the very rectilinear Sid Mead designs
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought would be that if it is a found piece of some kind, it's highly modified, altered, and customized to work for the blaster.

I don't think she's a found piece though.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the 'design lines' at the top of it do not match where seperated by the lever, but are paralell lead me toward custom. I also agree that it does not completely 'jive' with any other elements of the gun, but it does seem to me to have been sculpted out of clay at one point. I am only slightly leaning toward custom, but I am hoping that it is a found piece.

andy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything out there in the world that even resembles the side cover? Either of the side covers?

I think if there is, guys, lets start posting pics and breaking it down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: