FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Side panel musings . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Side panel musings . . . Reply with quote

SO, I was watching mythbusters and the cute red head (Kari Byron, not Adam Savage) sculpted a ring out of wax, and then had it cast in pewter.

Suddenly I wondered aloud . . .

Could this simple method be how the side panels were created for the blade runner blaster?

Because everything in my world some how relates back to this prop. I swear.

And what about the possibility of pewter as the material used on the side panels? Maybe even the buttplate?

Pewter doesn't rust, correct?
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let me get this straight, Noeland . . . a snappy-looking lady like Kari is on your TV and you're thinking about the BR blaster? Dude, that's wrong. Razz
4yearlifespan
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Side panel musings . . . Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
SO, I was watching mythbusters and the cute red head (Kari Byron, not Adam Savage) sculpted a ring out of wax, and then had it cast in pewter.

Suddenly I wondered aloud . . .

Could this simple method be how the side panels were created for the blade runner blaster?

Because everything in my world some how relates back to this prop. I swear.

And what about the possibility of pewter as the material used on the side panels? Maybe even the buttplate?

I'm pretty sure you can find the correct wax at Blick art supplies. I've seen various chunks of modeling wax there. Some of it is quite expensive though, like $30-40 or so for a piece the size of a small bar of soap. I've never messed with it myself. My major only required basic sculpture, so I never took the classes up to wax sculpting and casting.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:

It's possible.

For some of the master patterns(guns, swords etc ) I make for work I need to sculpt wax. When a rubber mold is made the cast parts come out as well as if I used plastic on the master.

Pewter turns a darker grey as it's form of rust as I recall.
SaberFreak
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Side panel musings . . . Reply with quote

Ah, finally something I know a little bit about: Wax sculpting and pewter. No I don't do wax sculpture or pewter casting, but I've worked in one of the world's biggest pewter manufacturing company before and they sculpt most of the pieces in wax.

Noeland wrote:

There are many types of pewter. If its made from tin & lead alone, then it won't rust. It will tarnish (like silver) if the surface is not sealed.

Pewter for modern tableware is made up of tin, copper and antimony (copper & antimony for strength), so sometimes slight oxidation can occur if the copper is not mixed evenly. Lead is not used in this type of pewter due to it being toxic.

I was around warehouses full of pewter items for almost 2 years and I haven't seen a single piece of rusty pewter before.

The Loyalizer wrote:
Some of it is quite expensive though, like $30-40 or so for a piece the size of a small bar of soap.

But you can use it almost indefinitely. Once the mold is made you can remove the wax sculpt and recycle it with hardly any lost in the wax content. Of course you also need to be mindful to collect the scraps while you're sculpting and not let them get blown all over the place.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thank you for sharing that SF. I'm just now (edit) getting into the world of metal casting and it's a subject I'm finding to be pretty interesting.

Last edited by Noeland on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Side panel musings . . . Reply with quote

SaberFreak wrote:

But you can use it almost indefinitely. Once the mold is made you can remove the wax sculpt and recycle it with hardly any lost in the wax content. Of course you also need to be mindful to collect the scraps while you're sculpting and not let them get blown all over the place.

I was under the impression that when the mold was heated, the wax melted out of it and was otherwise discarded, at least I think thats how its done for bronze casting with a plaster mold. I'm probably wrong tho.

The block I saw at the art store was way too small for the side cover with the steyr bolt lever, but you might have been able to work up the cylinder cover from it, but it looked like you wouldn't have much wax left over once you were done carving it.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
TridCloudwalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wants to sculpt a master out of two part epoxy putty (either the white plumbers stuff or the blue/green compound), and if there's an interest, I can cast pewter in my father's factory. We'd be looking at maybe $20 - $40 for a plate and butt set.

In my opinion though, the pieces were machined aluminum. With as many bumps and falls that gun took, there'd be dents and gashes galore in pewter pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: