FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BR wall tiles.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: BR wall tiles. Reply with quote

I posted this over at propcircle burt since they are not getting as many visits I thought I would post here as well.

Awhile back I saw wall tiles on a crappy sitcom called "Cuts" while flipping channels. These wall tiles looked like the design Android Andy uses for his avatar. A pal at work lent me some dvd's of a show called "Dexter". On season 1, episode 10 the police go to the hotel where Dexters girlfriend works and there on the wall behind the hotel reception desk are some tiles. Those of you who have access to this episode may want to check it out. I am thinking again that these are commercially available. I would imagine some of you BR fans would probably like to do a whole room with these tiles.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have more than one thread showing where these guys were sold (at one time or another, just don't ask me to find them all right now).

I did actually talk to a few people that had made them for an MTV Dance/exercize show a few years back. They said they made them to fashion off of Blade Runner, but made them themselves and cast them. Many of the shows that have used them also have reused existing sets as well as the actual FLW house. I think we even tried to list all the shows that featured them too.

As far as commercially made ones, they all seem either too small and/or too expensive(over $50 each) not to mention sold out for the most part.

Several guys here have made them themselves as well as on the RPF. For some reason it does seem like another cursed BR project though.

Andy
Finbladerunner
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: BR wall tiles. Reply with quote

SLK wrote:
I would imagine some of you BR fans would probably like to do a whole room with these tiles.

What kind of sick person would do so?!

Well, I...

Not exactly whole room, but part of it.
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: cool Reply with quote

thats great , where'd ya find em ,how'd ya make em and would ya sell some ?
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How...much...sir?

We must have.
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai is an artist.... and a lucky man.... Well, let's him to explain how these tiles are so accurate.... Smile
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but I was watching The Thirteenth Floor and the main character's apartment has those exact same tiles!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joberg here...newbie in this forum (wrote other posts in other topics already). I don't know if somebody thought of mass-producing the Ennis tiles before? It seems that, first we should make sure that by ''mass producing'' we're not infringing on any copyright.

Second by ''mass producing'' I'm talking about some kind of process that is both inexpensive, easy to produce, light and easy to ship.
I know also that in the past, the cost of producing such item is extremely expensive and/or heavy.
Soooo; if somebody, either in the RPF or at Propsummit, could make enquires for producing these tiles in Styrofoam and find a manufacturer that could produce a mould (I don't know exactly how do you mould Styrofoam into a specific shape) it could be the answer to our tile problems.

The idea is worth exploring since one kind of tile could be easy to make i.e. the flat one! It could be painted, nicked, transformed to have the look and the colour of Deckard's apt.

What do you think?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have (had) been working on a stencil to make a painted faux wall tile texture. Once I finalize it I will post the patterns and paint chips online, but it may be a while before I finish. I figured using a dark brown background and then two color layers of stencils to create the 3d effect. Some spattering of other paint colors and maybe some highlights too. By using a sponge for the layered textures it would even give a bit of real 3D feel too, as well as a texture similar to concrete/stone. It would make doing a whole room that much more affordable especially if combined with real block tiles.

As far as doing a cast tile on a large scale, word is that the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation sues with impunity. Sad thing is that they tossed many of the real tiles they tore off the building into the garbage when they started repair work on it. Imagine if they auctioned the pieces off instead.

Andy
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy's right. i was there just before the reconstruction began on my little BR pilgrimage. the tiles were strewn everywhere ... the ORIGINALS from 1924. i could literally have reached through the fence and picked one up but for some reason i didn't. in retrospect, i was an idiot. they ended up in a landfill....

anyway - i really like the idea of a stencil. most cost-efficient, simple, and if done right, can be very effective. standing by.
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have good artwork of the tiles? Smile

Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people who have the ability to use 3D CAD objects to create real objects there's this version of the block for sale. I've linked to it several times before but it kind of gets lost. Theres also a blank version available. I think the creator of this version is a poster on here. Wink

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm?id=315359

Last edited by Art Deckard on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
SaberFreak
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that CAD file available, why haven't someone printed a master, made molds, and became rich?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because everybody who has tried has been sued badly. FLW Estate does not fool around. Plus it would be easier and cheaper to make a copy by hand anyway. Machined molds are not cheap.

Of course the fact that G. W. hasn't been sued yet for his copies on Ebay, means they may be letting up a bit, or just don't care because they are hollow fiberglass casts, not stone blocks. I think more likely he has just flown under the radar so far and not listed them as FLW blocks, but BR. Which seems to be ignored by the powers that be for the most part.

Andy
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've never seen those. Are they any good? Smile
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one a while back, very straight lines but a great tile, came professionally packaged. In the process now of ageing it.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
I got one a while back, very straight lines but a great tile, came professionally packaged. In the process now of ageing it.

How are you aging it? and any chance of seeing a before and after set of photos?

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the before shot. The lighting doesnt show it up correctly but i was going for a washed out limestone look, first coat of dark beige, then a rough coat of light beige. To me , the movie originals look like they have been aged by rubbing along the edges and just general handling of some "stuff" to dirty it up. Im working out what that "stuff" might be now, so far ive tried tobacco ash and engine grease, not on the tile of course, and the ash works well. Will post pics when finished..............

jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
This is the before shot. The lighting doesnt show it up correctly but i was going for a washed out limestone look, first coat of dark beige, then a rough coat of light beige. To me , the movie originals look like they have been aged by rubbing along the edges and just general handling of some "stuff" to dirty it up. Im working out what that "stuff" might be now, so far ive tried tobacco ash and engine grease, not on the tile of course, and the ash works well. Will post pics when finished..............

I love this piece Tim!!!! Razz
SaberFreak
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size is that fibreglass tile? 16" x 16"

Can someone PM me the link to get one? I hope they'll have stock when I recover from my current 'credit crunch'...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Aesthetic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: