FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Need kit help

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neiloh1
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Need kit help Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member here and this is my first post. You may know me from the RPF as neilo1. I came here though because I hear it’s the place to be for Bladerunner fans.

I need some help with a kit I just purchased from an Ebay seller in Australia. The seller didn't have instructions for this kit. Does anyone recognize it? Can anyone help me out with instructions? Has anyone seen this kit before?

I will be replacing all cast screws in the body with real hardware where possible, similar to what I did here with this resin Solo blaster and I Robot Spooner pistol.

Thanks,
Neil.
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's a Rick Ross PKD or (more likely) a recast of it. Instructions were posted here a while back for one of his versions, I'll see if I can dig up a link that might help.

The other 2 guns look nice

edit - looks like I was wrong, the instructions were for wiring the LEDs
http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=759&highlight=instructions
Anson James
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resold recast from coolmodels on ebay.

Throw it in the bin.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great timing, i got one of these a week ago to go with a complete Deckard costume display i am working on, my metal sid-kit is just to heavy, am nearly finished and will post pics and review shortly. In short,
if i had found one of these a year ago when i started looking for my own blaster, i would have not needed another.
neilo1, its very simple to put together, just position the pieces together one by one before you start serious work, feel free to PM me for any help
and welcome to this forum.

Review now in Blaster Forum.
neiloh1
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the wiring ToothTech, that will really help.

Offworld66, I'm very much looking forward to seeing your completed build!

I did contact Rick Ross first, but unfortunately he had nothing to offer at the time. I would of bought one of his kits in an instant.

I did searches on the RPF and here for the seller to see if there were any recaster warnings, didn't fing any. I found a post on the RPF on the weekend that said Rick Ross had sold his old moulds. Could this be from those molds?

The kit itself seems to be quite good with vert little flash or bubbled. The seller had already done some filling and sprue removal. The amber grips are excellent. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

I spent Sunday printing off as many pics of the WorldCon as i could find. Now to figure out all the different screws needing replacing.

Cheers,
Neil.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kit isn't from coolmodels. I believe the fellow who recast these PKD-2's is in Australia.

Quote:
I did searches on the RPF and here for the seller to see if there were any recaster warnings, didn't fing any.

There is another thread about this kit on the board somewhere.

But niether the RPF nor propsummit provide "recaster warnings". It's something you have to keep an ear to the ground for.

When I first got into the hobby I bought several recasts without knowing it. Later on, I bought a recast of a poiseden kit. It's a gray area. It's a personal choice. I stay away from them if I know about it, and try to support the original sculptor.

Rick made the original masters himself with no found parts. That makes a difference I think.

Rick has been recast SO MANY times now, I think he takes it mostly in stride.

Still, he hurt his back but I believe he will be offering kits again.

Chip Wallace is the only person to my knowledge who ever bought any of Rick's molds, and this kit isn't from Chip. Chip (or EDC) is one of the worst scammers in the hobby.
neiloh1
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Noeland. My kit was shipped from Australia. I would prefer not to by recasts either. I hope Rick is ok and can start up again soon.

Holy crap, I just noticed all the spelling mistakes in my last post Embarassed

Cheers,
Neil.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kit is cast off of Rick's PKD2 (extra multiple piece version). He sold off his masters of those to Charles Wallace many years ago (and still regrets it because of CW's business practices). Because of this he himself is unable to offer kits of this version.

He told me he is okay with others buying from this seller as long as it isn't a piece of crap. I think we should contact the guy to send some kits to Rick for using his model, Or at least someway of paying Rick for his generosity. Unlike the other replicas, Rick actually owns the license for the name Pflager Katsumata series D and variations legally. So if he wanted to, Rick could at least Vero him on Ebay if not more.

The Australian seller seems okay from what I hear, but the seller known as "Coolmodels" that sells the PKD1 (or PDK on his box) is well known for selling complete crap. Avoid like the plague unless you want to spend weeks filling seams and bubbles. This goes for Charles "Chip" Wallace (EDC Studios) too, who will take your money but not send you anything.

Hopefully Rick will pop online sometime and fill in more of what he knows and his feeling about various recasters of his work.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: