FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Space Patrol holster project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Space Patrol holster project Reply with quote

Hope this is ok to post. While I made the holster repros, I no longer sell them or have any financial links to 'em.

Awhile back, I sold ready-to-go leather holsters and belts-- mostlty to friends who like me are rabid fans of the show. Many of the original 1950s guns survive, but very few original 1950s holsters do-- the leather was poorly processed and most of the ones that still exist are cracked and brittle.

Mine featured real leather, with resin cast and vac plated aluminum emblems and a solar burned silk-screened logo on the belt back. The mechanical part of the repro buckle was steel, with a vac plated Space Patrol logo epoxied on.

After I sold a run, the remaining stock went to a friend of mine-- also a major SP fan-- who still sells 'em (swapsale.com) as far as I know. Check his website to confirm this-- I don't know what inventory remains... it's been awhile.

The holster in the photos has the original (rechromed) brass emblem and buckle I used to make the casting molds for the repros. The belt in the photos is the test belt I initially reworked, and came from Goodwill. All the prop repro belts were new leather, and done from scratch. The gun in the photos was signed by Ed Kemmer (Commander Buzz Corry) in 2000 when I did a radio show recreation with him and some of the original Tom Corbett cast.

I think this raygun qualifies as a prop-building project, since I actually had to completely rebuild the gun by splitting the glued seam and re-fabricating some broken internal parts. These things have massive springs and will fire a dart with the tip removed right through a glass window. We won't go into detail why I know this... Shocked The U. S. Plastic Company made red and black guns (plus a few oddball colors in a run done after the show was off the air and the molds changed hands.)

The red guns were the exact same ones used as props in the tv show so they sort of qualify as screen used. They went with red on this vintage b&w tv show (which was broadcast live and on kinescopes), because they showed up well on 1950s tv cameras.

doc

Last edited by doc3d on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic links fixed...

Doc,

Awsome,

We are pretty cool about what is posted on this board and post anything that could be used as a prop even if it never was one.

There are also a few Vintage Ray Gun collectors here that will love what you have done here.

Thank you again,
Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Non Blade Runner Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: