FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blaster Builders Blog
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Blaster Builders Blog Reply with quote

Instead of posting a new thread all the time I figured it might be better to direct all my blaster building/worldcon questions in one Smile

I will try to post or log my progress of the build at the same time. It would be great if others building a kit or modifying a build could do the same with this thread.

So gonna start off with a few questions on my mind:

Trigger Guard
What is the best way to re-shape the trigger guard? If I put it in a vice and start hammering it is it likely to break? Is the pewter quite brittle?

Large Cap Head Ammo Box Screw
Does anyone know the correct size? Also does anyone know where to get them? I still cant find the right one Sad

Filling Holes
I recall someone using solder to fill the holes. does anyone know where the thread is for that?

something I noticed about the wc that I never realized before. I see four white wires in karls pic, though I've come to the conclusion there were only two and that they have been cut, splitting them into four. the other two wires look as if they are feeding into the ammo box. Maybe they didnt want the green ones on all the time so the only way to deactivate them apart from the on off switch was to snip Wink

though is it me or is there a grove in the side panel for the wires to sit in? seeing that this panel was custom sculpted this could be the case. The Elfin Knights guys seem to have picked up on it too.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I did:

Untouched:

OMG! WTF!? I noticed the hole starting to get bigger as I tried to get the solder to stick to the frame. Then the corner of the frame gave way! I had to rebuild it with solder.

I then took it to the grinder and got most of it down. After some hand sanding, some holes open up, so I have to go back and put down some more solder.

It doesn't take to the dremel wheel very well either. Kind of turns black, so I had to hand sand it only.

Finished. I can still see some tiny holes but I say F it. lol!

BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was you then clutch? Smile glad to see you got it under control.

I might try adding some sculpey behind one side of the hole and pouring in some melted down "bullet" in there.

Went to this great old screw shop today. They probably got every screw you can think of in there, all sold induvidualy. The shops been there for thirty years, so they got some pretty ancient bits in there.

I found the large allan screw, but also dug up these slot screws, only two in the shop.

BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been filling alot of holes lately, of the blaster kind that is.

First off I tried using lead-free solder. The stuff was a nightmare as it was difficult to melt and shape. as a result I completely screwed up my first hole (marked in red) and pretty much collapsed the entire section!!

So I put aside the solder and grabbed a bullet. the metal melted like butter! by scraping off huge lumps I filled the rest of the holes dead easy in no time! I can even sculpt with the metal now, so any future screw ups with the dremel can be easily filled in.

Though the fact that the blaster metal melted so easily has me a bit concerned. Do we know if it is definitely lead-free alloy?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't stand on top of the fumes to make sure.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there aren't really any fumes from melting this metal. I noticed when melting the solder theres alot of smokey fumes.

ok got a question. I'm looking for one of these small cap head screws. does anybody know what the size this is?

chew
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using 6/32 socket head cap screws to replace the ones up front, I would guess they are size 2? I you buy some I'll paypal you a dollar for one!

How else are we expected to fit that piece? ( I have no instructions) the small phillips head screw from behind?

On a second note does anyone have any thoughts on how to secure the barrel? I am currently planning on inserting two grub screws that will be hidden by the steyr housing but I'd love other thoughts.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean 2mm for the little screw? I typed it on ebay but got all sorts of different sizes. There's also the small button head at the back which I need to track down. The screw shop unfortunately had neither of these.

dam! 211 views on this thread and no one else wants to chime in? Sad

as for securing the receiver, I noticed on sid's worldcon and the tomenosuke, there is a panel molded onto the back of the receiver that fits underneath the bolt side panel, securing it into place. I might try making this panel out of some tin sheeting. either that or just glue the sucker on Laughing
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info from Rich Cool

The rear one I use a 4/40 X 1/2 inch allen round head cap screw.

The side screw is a 2X 3/8 allen Buttonhead cap screw.
chew
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the size 2 screws are nice and small. The 6/32 screws I am using are for the front of the gun, below "5223". Speaking of which whats the deal with the stamped numbers on your gun? did you do that and if so how? mine has nothing. I am after all using an older model... but is there is a decent way to fix it?

connecting the barrel piece we just re cast was actually what I was referring to, it seems to fit in the revolver housing poorly.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone would put together a correct screw/bolt set, I'd buy one. I'm needing a few myself and can't find anything locally.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I found the screws on ebay. m2 cap head for the switch and m3 round head for the bolt receiver. though they only seem to do them in packs Sad

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M3-x-12-BUTTON-HEAD-A2-STAINLESS-ALLEN-KEY-BOLTS-x-20_W0QQitemZ370113689590QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ?hash=item370113689590&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M2-x-4-STAINLESS-ALLEN-CAP-HEAD-BOLTS-x20-FREE-P-P_W0QQitemZ150308443218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ?hash=item150308443218&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

there's a radio control car shop down my road who might be able to order them next week, so I'll wait for that first before spending £6 for two screws Shocked

chew: The 5223 numbers were hand engraved. I need to go over them with a bigger cutter. The other numbers and symbols are transfers I printed and stuck on for dremel engraving reference. Thats gonna be interesting hand engraving that eagle! I see cock-up on the horizon! Laughing

as for the barrel fitting into the revolver housing, it fits alot better when you eliminate that stubby bit in the hole. not perfect, but better. I assume you have to glue the barrel onto the revolver housing on sid's worldcon kit also?
chew
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great tips, I still think I want to install a couple of small grub screws to hold it rock steady... I bought a bunch of screws and such at a hardware store just for that purpose. They didn't stock most of the sizes I needed though.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to drill this sucker out today

you worldcon kit owners got it easy! Wink

I also cut the head off one of the slot screws. might drill a hole and insert a smaller screw thread inside it.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick fitting test today with all the main body fixture screws in place. you can probably see some of the modifications I've started with the kit.

I've been mostely filling holes in the gun and rebuilding areas which were filed off too much. think it would have been easier to get the kit off sid in it's raw form! Rolling Eyes

The only thing I didn't notice at first was the placing of the two front receiver screws on the sidkit is out. they should be lower. but I've already drilled and filled those areas, so I cant be arsed to redo them all over again.

BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok folks, I know you're all gagging for an update and that I'm not just talking to myself here Razz

the back receiver was another part I really wanted to correct. with most versions of the blaster it is always out or has gaps etc, yet on the wc it fits really flush. so I did alot of adding and filing to get it to fit right

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet job on the receiver Beast! Keep up the good work.

Last edited by joberg on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
chew
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow what a great job, when you say "fill" did you use a bit of bullet, or what? Mine is kind of funky and its the part I am currently fussing with. I have had some luck with a soldering iron and whats left of my melted bullets in re filling some dings here and there, but that seems like precision work.

nice one.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys Smile

chew: I pretty much built up the top edge of the receiver with bullet using the solder iron, then filed it into shape. also I filed off the overlapping surface of the receiver end to get it flush.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspirational! I can't wait to see it finished. No actually I can wait because your documentation of the process is the best part right now.

Thank you,
Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: