Forum Index      Log in  Register
DRINKIN' BIRDS & GASHAPONS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaff87 wrote:
All this talk on Alien is amazing. Things i've never even noticed before. This calls for another watch of it i think.

Of course pal! Alien quadrilogy is ever a good candidate to be watched again and again!

Smile
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfuste wrote:
Gaff87 wrote:
All this talk on Alien is amazing. Things i've never even noticed before. This calls for another watch of it i think.

Of course pal! Alien quadrilogy is ever a good candidate to be watched again and again!

Smile

I'll second that.
Alot of great material on the bonus features aswell.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quadrilogy pack was a great gift to the sci fi community, every version of each movie plus all the reference material they could squeeze
onto a disc, all in one box. UP YOURS LUCASFILMS Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, don't forget, Lucas is enforcing some strong control over any pictures/set of pictures deemed future material: i.e. more books=more money! Not too long ago they removed X-Wing pictures from the RPF!?
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan but must admit, all the material on the Aliens and Blade Runner sets are better, by far. I can imagine the Star Wars movies like this, shame it didn't happen.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:
Actually the Nostromo carries two shuttles, but one is out of service (accorxing to the novelization and background materials).

Yep, that's what I meant when talking about ONE fonctional shuttle !

Any chance the name of the second shuttle ever appeared somewhere in the novelization ??? (don't remember seeing it but I prefer to ask, just in case you would)

Quote:
Strangely though the Narcissus only seems to have ONE sleep pod! I think the original Cobb designs showed more. But an escape shuttle that carries only.one person is ratheer absurd!

I thought there was 2 sleep pods, just like in Cobb's early production design of his "life boat"... 1 for Jones + 1 for Ripley + 2 pilot seats = 4 persons.
I'll try to check if there's really 2 sleep pods in that damn shuttle or if it's just my imagination working full speed...

Quote:
Apparently the Narcissus set was just cobbled together from bits salvaged from the other sets, which is why it looks so haphazard.

-k

You're right, here is a pic Phil Rae sent me last year (we were briefly in contact for a few days), where we can clearly identify some main bridge elements, even if the monitors were missing at the time the photo was taken...

Fred

phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the film Ripley puts the cat into the same hypersleep chamber as herself. The overall layout of the Narcissus set has always baffled me, but in going back and looking at my reference, it seems the set has a central control pillar, with two hypersleep capsules, one on either side. There are two pilot seats in front, and the aft seat which Ripley straps herself into when jettisoning the Alien out into space.

In this shot you can see just the hint of the foot of a second hypersleep capsule, on the other side of the central control pillar.

In this wide shot of the set, it looks like there are just boxes on the other side of the pillar. But I suppose there might have been another capsule. Seven pods would have been available to use, from the Nostromo set.

The front angle (with the set composited into a model shot of the shuttle) clarifies that there are two pilot stations.

Unusual shot of Sigourney Weaver in the shuttle's sleep capsule.

Ultimately what this means, is that there are facilities for two hibernating crew in each shuttle, and three available seats. In THEORY this would imply that ten people could be evacuated on the two shuttles. In reality, since Nostromo is an interstellar ship, being in hypersleep is really the only way to survive a long voyage (Ripley drifted for 47 years before being picked up, remember). It's doubtful the shuttle would carry much in the way of supplies of food and oxygen to sustain several people for any length of time.

There's also Ripley's line, "the shuttle won't take four". This implies that the two sleep capsules are what she's referring to.

As far as Cobb's designs, I have a couple of contradictory preproduction sketches handy... this one has one pilot station and two sleep chambers

...while this one has two pilot stations but unknown sleep facilities.

As far as the name of the second shuttle Laughing I have no idea. The names "Nostromo", "Narcissus" and "Sulaco" all come from Joseph Conrad stories, so I would imagine that if the second shuttle had a name, that would be the source.

- K

Last edited by phase pistol on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you Kitchen fans, here's a shot of a bleary Kane trying to find the coffee. It's the only good thing on this ship!

And another shot of the kitchen set.

Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos guys! And alot of great info aswell.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:

...while this one has two pilot stations but unknown sleep facilities.

Thanks for the great pics and info, Karl !

Regarding Cobb's concept illustration above, are you sure it's a shuttle interior ? It looks too spacy to me... Always thought this one was depicting Brett & Parker's control room...

BTW, it's the first time I ever noticed Kane was wearing a bracelet on his right arm... Look at the pic of him in the kitchen !
Shocked
(I checked in the ALIEN MOVIE NOVEL, you can also see it in the scene where he wakes-up)

Fred
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:

BTW, it's the first time I ever noticed Kane was wearing a bracelet on his right arm... Look at the pic of him in the kitchen !
Shocked
(I checked in the ALIEN MOVIE NOVEL, you can also see it in the scene where he wakes-up)

Fred

Good eye Fred, i never noticed that.
Watched the movie again last night, saw the 2003 edition this time, alot more added material.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible the two-seat "control room" Cobb drawing I posted is supposed to be some control room on the Nostromo, I'm not really sure. I had it labeled as "shuttle control", but that could mean a control room for launching the shuttles.

If you have "The Book of ALIEN", that is full of sketches and photos, depicting early forms of the ships and creatures... in earlier incarnations, the "lifeboats" were more integrated into the ship, and that one-seater shuttle with two sleep capsules, corresponds to the interior of this Lifeboat design.

temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific photos and information, everybody -- and particular thanks to you, phase pistol, for some very unusual and striking shots (as usual!).

We actually have one of those "drinking birds" here in our office. Like most I've seen, it has a blue hat and small red tail feather. On the base are the words "ARORA" and "Made in Taiwan."

As for the little toys here and there: yes, some of them certainly look as if they could be gachapon, or, rather, gachapon-style novelties. (The gachapon phenomenon didn't actually begin until 1988, well after Alien was made. However, similar types of capsule toys were imported to Japan from as early as 1965.) The one on Lambert's console reminds me of the little toys with suction attachments that some Japanese drivers put on the insides of their car windshields. Some of these are simply fun mascots, while others are meant to bring good luck on the roads. If Lambert's is a good-luck charm, it obviously didn't do much good.

phase pistol wrote:

Wow, look at that! Evidence that, while the Nostromo had Mother, the Narcissus was equipped with a HAL unit.
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this link

http://www.xump.com/Science/ThermodynamicDrinkingBird.cfm?SID=144&gclid=COPxs6itz5kCFRabnAodSyxPuQ

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "bracelet" Kane is wearing is simply a rubber band made to be attached to wires to monitor subjects in hypersleep...in this shot, he's still in his robe and pj's.
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have sent the shuttle to check out the "distress beacon"and kept Nostromo in orbit. Very Happy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:

Saw it in MEDIASCENE #35 where it's described as an OBSERVATION ROOM ON "B" LEVEL... In the movie, Brett and Parker's room (located on deck B) has 2 observation windows overhanging the engine room. (they can be seen at the end, when Ripley activates the destruction of the ship)

My 2 cents...

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Good info Fred. I always wondered about those windows at the end (where WAS that room supposed to be... Shocked )

And why are the instructions to blow up the ship in French.

The option to override destruct sequence expires in... one second. TOO LATE!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:

Ah! Good info Fred. I always wondered about those windows at the end (where WAS that room supposed to be... Shocked )

Thanks a lot for your appreciation Karl !

The windows shown in the pic you've posted above can also be seen in the scene when Parker & Brett are arguing with Ripley on deck B...

... but the other windows I was refering to are never shown in that set... The only time we see them is here :

I've always thought this place was inside the refinery but now that you've pointed this I think you're right, it's inside the Nostromo... but where ??? (Pretty HUGE, even considering that ship size !!!)

Fred

Quote:
And why are the instructions to blow up the ship in French.

Never heard about the "French touch" ???

Laughing
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! I never even noticed these windows, am i blind? Karl, Fred, you guys rock!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: