FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The SPINNER thread!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: The SPINNER thread! Reply with quote

It's my brother Harry's fault for showing me a movie called "Touch of Evil" that to this day I have a deep, deep love of Noir.

My brother Andy took me to see Star Wars, and Last StarFighter, and used to bring home VHS tapes as they were released, and we'd watch movies for hours on end, and comic books like Heavy Metal gave me a deep love of sci-fi.

Which for me, as a kid, culminated in BLADE RUNNER. I was and still remain in complete love with the film.

OK, so lets talk SPINNERS.

My favorite vehicle from any movie ever is The Spinner. When I was a kid I didn't dream of piloting the millenium falcon, or an X-wing, I dreamed of flying through smoggy skies with a heavy blaster on my hip, and replicants in my sights.

I suppose partly because of how it was photographed.

Party because of it's Uber-Cool design:

And this particular moment in the film really made me wonder how the hell the thing worked (and I don't mean the WIRES!!) Wink

So I think I spent a lot more time as a youth wondering what kind of propulsion system would motor this kind of vehicle, as compared to star wars, which was something I never thought on much, the starships just "are" for me. No question as to "why?" they work, it's fantasy, so to speak. I just never questioned the possibility of those vehicles.

And ofcoarse, seeing the cockpit fed many a classroom day dreams:

As did my mad crush on Sean Young:

Then, as an adult I started to read about Syd Mead, and his thoughts on the spinner, and the world of Blade Runner in general.

And I really gained a level of respect for the film, and for this vehicle that I did not previously have. For me, as much as Ridley Scott is the author of the world, Syd Mead is the artist of the world, the true designer.

I was heartened to learn how much thought and science went into Mead's work, and his Spinner designs really were well thought out. I suddenly felt very justified for all the time I'd spent thinking about how real the spinners felt in the film.

They were not far flung fantastical spaceships. They were possible in the most real way they could be given that we're talking about a movie Smile

Granted, I still spend a lot of time daydreaming about banking through LA 2019, but now I have this friend of mine named Sean Kennedy who can take those day dreams and render them in lightwave!! Smile

IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Spinners would solve alot ... Reply with quote

Yes I know what you mean about this thing ...the "flying car ", cant wait till somebody brings this to life,I dont know how many times in traffic I prayed for my ol bomb to fly ....how easy do ya think it would be to get a 1958 pontiac to float ...?
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dug this out of my image files. It's a Topps card from BTTF showing repainted Spinner.

IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: crazy dip job... Reply with quote

Ya thats one crazy paint job huh?
never liked blue cars .....stuff that weighs that much and can cause that mush damage shouldn't be blue...

..................unless it flies
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never seen that particular image from BTTF before. WOW, it's ugly!

I like the black paintjob much better!! Smile

Thanks for sharing it though. That's certainly one for the archives.

Njc----------------
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same paint job it had in Solar Babies...yikes
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solar babies? Never saw it, but I found this link.

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/solarbabies/

Sadly no spinner pics though.

So how about these then? Some more of Sean's work!

....... wait that last ones not a spinner . . . .
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, It was Solar Crisis...not Solar Babies...article here at bladezone...
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now solar crisis I did see. That one got an A for effort for me. Not a great film, but they tried. And if memory serves didn't Gean Winfield mention that they cracked up the spinner on the solar crisis set? It was in the film for 3 freakin' seconds wasn't it? How do you crash it?
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: LOW RIDER SPINNER! Reply with quote

Anybody else notice that the spinner gaf gets into to drive bryant away from the scene has a CHAIN steering wheel?
wonder if it was EJA s way of tipping his hat to the car culture scene in his community...
just a thought ....but I found it intreaging
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article about that steering wheel actually. They origionally made it steerable with the two hand grips but the untrained drivers couldn't drive it so they installed a steering wheel and used the smallest one they had lying around. I believe I read that off of the Blade Zone Interview with Gene Winfield. Could also have been the Cinefantastique double issue.
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: smaller wheel Reply with quote

yes well that is one on the smallest wheels on the market ,ever used one ?
I think I would have tried my luck with the levers...those chain wheels are hard enough but steering with the small ones is something that requires practice....like driving with yer wrists taped together,which brings up a bad joke I wont repeat...
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: the SPINNER name Reply with quote

It seems to me that "SPINNER" is a brand name like Ford or Dodge and not a generic name for something that flies and drives. They wouldn't put a big, chrome nameplate on your Dodge that said "CAR" but they would with one that said "DODGE."

Any thoughts?
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: the SPINNER name Reply with quote

eltee wrote:
It seems to me that "SPINNER" is a brand name like Ford or Dodge and not a generic name for something that flies and drives. They wouldn't put a big, chrome nameplate on your Dodge that said "CAR" but they would with one that said "DODGE."

Any thoughts?

I will concur with ^this^ logic.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree, but also if it was the first company to make them then all others may be called the same by the public (as in Xerox).
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: smaller wheel Reply with quote

IGNITERS wrote:
yes well that is one on the smallest wheels on the market ,ever used one ?
I think I would have tried my luck with the levers...those chain wheels are hard enough but steering with the small ones is something that requires practice....like driving with yer wrists taped together,which brings up a bad joke I wont repeat...

I had one of those chrome chain wheels on a dune buggy no power steering. Damn near broke both arms first time I drove it. I drove it off the beach straight to a junk yard where I picked out a couple reasonable substitutes changed to one right there at the Junkyard that had matching mounting holes and then custom firt abetter one when I got home. Those thing are a nightmare and the faster you go the more you realize that just one little over correction and you are toast!
Aegis159
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice shot of the two men that brought my favorite movie vehicle to life...

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic. Did you take it?

I got to meet Syd last year...almost didn't because I had to work. Had to beg my Boss and my car almost died.Was very cool Cool
Aegis159
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately no, I wasn't there for that trip Sad

My friends rubbed it in by giving me all of the pics they took of the meeting though, hehe...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: