FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Stunt Blaster Castings Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad about the flattening hope you can fix it.Shippers can be rough so packaging securely is important.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine today as well. The hollow rotocast was a bit of a surprise, but other than that its a very clean casting. Clean up looks to be minimal, mostly removing some flashing here and there. No major warping on mine.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few quick pics of mine to make sense of my babble.

You can see how the damage to the box is the same as the warp in the casting.
Sad

This shows how thin she looks. I'll probably cut that section out, build it up with some bondo or something, and then reinstall it.

It's pushed in pretty far. The upper section is a bit warped too, maybe I'll heat it up and try bending it back.

Though, that could end in tears.
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first post does say they were going to be "solid".I haven't read all the posts so the info might have changed.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine today too, and I was just a bit underwhelmed with the hollow casting. It does also look like it was left on its side as it cooled therefore making the left side cylinder cover push into the casting. Maybe he did hollow rotocasting so we could install electronics if we wanted to, but I still would have preferred a solid casting, especially for the price.

On the good side is that the size is much closer to the original than any other stunt casting I have, and the grips also fit much better as well. The detail is also pretty sharp.

Andy
proplica
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Casting condition Reply with quote

Noeland,

If there is excessive warping from shipping damage, can you send me some additional pics?
I can't tell from the image. I will say that the gun lasersight wasn't completely straight on the rubber one it was cast from.
I allowed them to cure for a week before each was packaged so there was no flexing. So honestly I don't see any warping from the images you posted.

In regards to the hollow process, I had mentioned earlier this was done to reduce the bubbles and imperfections on the surface to give it a cleaner look with minimal filling. The solid version also had a larger percentage of shrinkage compared to a hollow cast from the same mold.
I can verify this (by measurements or images) as I have compared a hollow cast verses a solid version and the difference is noticeable to the naked eye without measuring.

Additionally I know it would be better to have it hollow for mods, adding lights wires, etc. If weight is preferred, it is easier to add sand than to mill out for adding lights, etc. My priority and as it seemed to be with everyone else was the details and surface finish with as minimal shrinkage as possible and the best casting closest to the hero as possible.

If this is a problem for some and it needs be solid for a specific purpose, let me know.

To answer the latest post, distortion is not caused by improperly curing the resin by laying on one side, as I said the rubber gun it was pulled from had the same details. The casting in the first page of posts was from same mold with same distortion and is a solid cast.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The casting is very clean, and I compared them to my other stunt castings, and they too to a lesser degree have the caved in side as well.

I still kind of wish we had more info about the hollow casting ahead of time, because if there was I missed it. I might try to fill it with foam or something.

Andy
proplica
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Feedback Reply with quote

Honestly I feel delivered a better product than what was pictured. I am surprised at the reaction of the process really. I thought that would be the last thing on anyone's mind, since everyone cares about sharpness of details.

I am sorry for any thoughts that warping was due to the process, but if you view the early posted images, that one was actually poor in comparison to what was delivered in details and size.

If anyone wants a solid version instead and will accept shrinkage and bubbles with the same distorted area as in the one shown in the early pics, I will offer an exchange.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main problem is that our preconceptions led us to expect something else. A lighter weight also gives it a cheaper feel even if in reality nothing is actually lost (unless you cut off the pour spout, you do end up with a pretty big hole).

I do think the caved in cylinder cover is something that is in all of the stunt castings though, and not a flaw in your casting, or shipping. For the sake of research and history of the prop I do appreciate the reasons you decided on the casting method you had used. So for my purposes it does work just fine.

I think any misconceptions could have been avoided though if we had more information on the casting method or a choice there of ahead of time.

Thank you again Bryan,
Andy
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. I wonder how it will fare in shipping across the pond...
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback Reply with quote

proplica wrote:
Honestly I feel delivered a better product than what was pictured. I am surprised at the reaction of the process really. I thought that would be the last thing on anyone's mind, since everyone cares about sharpness of details.

I am sorry for any thoughts that warping was due to the process, but if you view the early posted images, that one was actually poor in comparison to what was delivered in details and size.

If anyone wants a solid version instead and will accept shrinkage and bubbles with the same distorted area as in the one shown in the early pics, I will offer an exchange.

Thanks for taking that extra care. As for me, I prefer less bubbles and less shrinkage. I can fill it later with whatever if I want too.

Again, thanks for making this available, I'm sure they'll get here next week Smile
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lost on the shrinkage and bubble problem. I've have plenty of flawless, solid castings with no shrinkage by other people. I'm not too up on the process and properties, but I find it hard to believe that there would be that much difference.

If you guys want a solid gun, just drill out the barrel or buttplate and fill it with plaster. If you want if even heaver, fill it with lead fishing weights first and then plaster.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan,
I don't feel like a replacement is needed. Not at all. I'd of contacted you offboard if I was upset about anything. I'm sorry, really sorry, if my posts seem negative. I've told some folks privately that I'm happy to have this, and I've posted here that I think it's a sturdy casting, and also it doesn't feel cheap to me in any way. I was just surprised by how light it was.

I had not recognized in the posted photos that the left side cover was pushed in or the sight rod warped, and the damage to my box so closely matches the warp in the sight rod, I figured someone dropped something on this, or set something heavy on it and pushed it in.

I know this is from a rough stunt casting. I don't have any issue with that stuff.

I feel like I got a good product for the money. I still feel like the price is crazy good for a second gen casting of a production rubber stunt from a film made in 1981.

As I posted, I'll be chopping off the pour spout and working on the left side of the castings to pull it out some. I'm not installing lights though, I've been wanting a clean casting of the stunt version for a long time for my collection.

So hey, maybe I won't fix the warp. if that's how it was on set, maybe I'll keep it that way.
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post some side shots like these please?

Noeland wrote:
Here are a few quick pics of mine to make sense of my babble.

You can see how the damage to the box is the same as the warp in the casting.
Sad

This shows how thin she looks. I'll probably cut that section out, build it up with some bondo or something, and then reinstall it.

It's pushed in pretty far. The upper section is a bit warped too, maybe I'll heat it up and try bending it back.

Though, that could end in tears.
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..Thank you Bryan...casting looks terrific....a welcome addition to my collection....
...expectations are a funny thing...to say the least...I received the casting today and feel it met and exceeded "my" expectations...I was under the misapprehension that it was going to be "solid" but only because I didn't know any better...not an issue with me....I wanted a casting that "LOOKED" like a casting and that is what I got....way cool.....
David
proplica
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: blaster Reply with quote

thanks to those that appreciate what was delivered

Clutch, regarding the shrinkage, it is a problem when you are casting things in a large volume of resin with thickness, I can't vouch for what you say regarding other cast items of comparison or non-comparison.
I'm stating just a fact here, the roto-cast has very little shrinkage if any at all and the solid one does in a side by side comparison. I will post images of comparison.

Also, the original stunts used in the film had more bubbles than you can imagine in comparison to what I produced & delivered.
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: blaster Reply with quote

I must say I am very pleased with my casting even though it is hollow.

One thing that puzzles me though is this statement below. If these are castings of a screen used then shouldn't they have all the bubbles too?

I have noticed that some bubbles present on the gray master casting are not present on mine. How is that?

proplica wrote:
Also, the original stunts used in the film had more bubbles than you can imagine in comparison to what I produced & delivered.
proplica
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: surface & details Reply with quote

The one it is was cast from was a much cleaner cast, with less bubbles that the others. You can compare the Ivor Powell stunt vs. the one at the Seattle museum and see that the bubbles in the mix varied. The Ivor Powel stunt that was sold at Profiles had more bubbles than any other I had seen. The one in Seattle has less. Most of the bubbles on the originals tended to be more excessive on the bottom.

If you want to have a decent mold and minimize imperfections, you can clay-in the voids on a piece before making the mold, that way you have a better cast. If you look at the one delivered, I am sure you can see most surface imperfections on the bottom, such as the cartridge.

Also I said this was cast directly from a policeman's side arm stunt prop, and not a prop that was "screen-used". These were always holstered in place an didn't get any screen time. In my opinion, the policeman's side arm was a better version to start with vs. the rubber stunts that had resin grips. The grips on those had shrinkage and obviously didn't cover the area that was milled off, exposing more roughness and gaps. The castings I provided therefore capture more of the details of hero.
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is a lovely casting, hollow or not.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: blaster Reply with quote

kurtyboy wrote:
I must say I am very pleased with my casting even though it is hollow.

One thing that puzzles me though is this statement below. If these are castings of a screen used then shouldn't they have all the bubbles too?

I have noticed that some bubbles present on the gray master casting are not present on mine. How is that?

did you manage to import it into the UK hassel free then?

Last edited by BeastMaster on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: