FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard, Retro WALLET SET - NEED SOMEONE TO CAST BADGES
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Deckard, Retro WALLET SET - NEED SOMEONE TO CAST BADGES Reply with quote

DECKARD, Police Officer Wallet Set

Before he was a Blade Runner, he was a street cop in uniform...

My original project idea was put on hold as my metalsmith took ill and stopped working while undergoing cancer treatment. I wasn't sure if he was going to make it, but he did and is back to work. My project was different than all other attempts thus far. Mine was a RETRO wallet set. In theory, Deckard, Holden, Gaff and Bryant all worked in different divisions (or differently named divisions) and at lower ranks in 2011. I did laborious research and many people from this website helped with screen caps and design work. Kevin allowed me to use his apartment key design, Spinner44 provided his Vid-Phon card (v1), Karl Tate permitted me to use his photos, etc. All people who contributed to this are acknowledged in the 12 page tutorial that documents this project.

The 12 page tutorial about the project includes research into actual flying cars and how they are licensed and identified, how actual LAPD addresses and divisions are used, etc. and where real LAPD and other government logos and badge images are printed on the cards. One interesting item is on the Police ID card. On the 2019 ID card there is the diamond shape around an 8, on my circa 2011 card I used an image of an actual vintage LAPD badge that was a diamond shape. A de-volution of sorts. There is reference (inc. photo) to the real police badges that are now in use that have a photograph of the officer/agent on the front of the badge.

Instead of laserjet printed paper in plastic lamination, the driver's license, Vid-Phon and apartment key cards are all on PVC plastic cards, printed on both sides. The driver's license is an actual smart card with a real memory chip that can be programmed. There are no silly terms such as "Spinner License" or "Blaster Permit" etc. Actual police, DMV and FAA terminology and form numbers, etc. used throughout. Since this is a "kit" you need to punch your own holes in the apartment access card.

The Police ID card, based somewhat on the Worldcon find, is laminated (like the original prop) and untrimmed. The Worldcon card lamination was cut oversize enough to allow a slot to be cut for attaching a clip. I can cut it and punch it or leave it to you. LAPD photographed their officers against a "mugshot" wall with height indicators, and used a mugshot info plate in front. This was done on the card. Note, also, that Deckard is photographed in uniform and the photo looks very real, not like some decapitated/recapitated Photoshop job. The uniform is based on the publicity shots and screen caps of the cops in the movie. Additionally, all details on this, and the other cards, are sharp and crisp and in vivid, realistic colors. Here are some examples.

Real zip codes that correspond to the addresses are used, and Deckard's address is for the building used in the movie. Cards were all designed to look like real government documents, circa 2011.

The badge is all metal, and you can use a wash for a more weathered look or simply epoxy it into the wallet. I can provide instructions if you need advice. The original badge master was sculpted by Blad based on the Worldcon find and BEFORE the DVD information was released. This was molded by the metalsmith who then cast the metal version, and then applied black for the recesses. The plating and enameling on the small "POLICE 995" plate was done by the company that makes my department's real police badges. The small plates were precision cut and machine engraved whereas the badges were cast using the lost wax method.

The photo is printed on a durable, synthetic material and not paper. It has a built in protective clear plastic top layer.

I do not believe in taking money in advance of goods ready to ship, so until / unless I get more badges from the metalsmith, only one is left for sale. My goal is to offer "rookie" sets (circa 2011) for all officers (Deckard, Holden, Gaff, Bryant), but I am waiting for more shields.

I have one of these kits left for sale:

It includes what you see, but only ONE each of the cards (the photo shows two so you can see fronts and backs). You get:
Leather tri-fold wallet with recess for shield
Metal shield, finished
Metal photo surround (the ring)
Metal plate, professionally plated and enameled (POLICE 995)
Circa 2011 LAPD ID card, printed both sides with biometric info, etc.
Plastic smartchip imbedded driver's license for roads and roadable aircraft
Plastic Vid Phon and Apartment cards
LAPD business card for Deckard
LAPD police officers' union membership card (with logo of actual union)
Deckard pic for center of badge done on heavy duty synthetic
12 page tutorial with photos, historical and research data

$255.00 in kit form. $325.00 in completed form ready to display or carry in pocket. Price includes shipping (CONUS), paypal preferred.

Unlike other people's sets, I can offer 100% guaranteed accurate currency for your wallet if you'd like. Although this wallet is my fantasy version of a 2011 LAPD set, if you purchase the optional currency I guarantee it will be 100% accurate and spendable in 2011 or I will refund your money. For a mere $50.00 additional, I will include $25.00 face value's worth of wallet filler currency.

On all the metal badges, we went for the used, soft edged, imperfect look, as seen in the Worldcon screenused prop. As Tom Southwell (the film's art director) said, it was an imperfect world so some items were manufactured imperfectly in the Bladerunner universe. Here's a closeup of the badge pieces.

The fine print: This set was a totally new creation based on research into real LAPD, FAA and DMV documents. I do not claim that anything here was used in the movie although the metal badge is based on the large uniform badge. The ID card also has elements of the Worldcon ID, but is supposed to be an earlier (2011) version of that card.

This is a KIT which means you have to do some work.
1. Cut out circular yellowed photo of Deckard, plasticized synthetic
2. Glue photo to badge
3. Epoxy or superglue photo ring to badge
4. Rough up area on wallet where "POLICE 995" plate attaches
5. Glue badge pieces (2) to leather wallet
6. Trim ID card lamination (or I will do it if requested)
7. Punch holes in apartment access card
8. Insert cards (and optional currency) into wallet
9. Brag to all your friends and BR fans worldwide
10. PROMISE not to copy or share my work, or the contributed work

Here's what the finished wallet looks like. No, the big badge set and blaster are not included. Rolling Eyes

I listed this initially in a different thread started by someone else. To avoid hijacking that thread, I've relisted the item here in its own thread. THANK YOU for looking.

Last edited by eltee on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:59 pm; edited 6 times in total
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!!!! Gary that is one of the most amazing things I have seen. Even though I have seen it before, it is still amazing.

I applaud you!!!!!!!!!!!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome job Gary Very Happy
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is sold pending funds.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Payment received. Ships on Monday.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: MORE SETS COMING SOON! Reply with quote

As you may have read in my other posts, the metalsmith I was using for both my wallet and full sized Worldcon based bronze (gold) and pewter (silver) badges took ill and closed shop for many months, halting both projects.

Recently the metalsmith reopened his (one-man) shop and finished up an order for the large, silver badges as worn on uniforms and on armor. That was good news.

More good news is that he is able to cast the wallet sized badges again. If you are interested in one of the "retro" wallet sets depicting Deckard as a street cop (pre-Blade Runner days) I am ready to take names.

Here is a review of the "retro" wallet set from the person who bought the original set recently.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=42550&highlight=deckard+wallet
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of another satisfied owner of one of my wallet sets. If you don't recognize him immediately, it is actor Morgan Paull who played Bladerunner Dave Holden who gets shot by Leon while performing a VK test on him. In the deleted scenes, Holden is seen in the hospital talking to Deckard and revealing some surprises. The deleted scene is in the latest DVD.

At his request, I did a special non-retro version. I used a 2019 ID card and a gold (bronze) shield.

FYI, Mr. Paull is a great gentleman and very interesting. He is also known for his major role in the movie Patton with George C. Scott. In that movie he plays Patton's assistant.

I now have a couple of badge parts, enough to complete a couple more sets. The supply of metal badges has been inconsistant due to the metalsmith's longterm illness.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pic Gary!!
Great wallet sets aswell.

Glad to see "He can breathe ok" Very Happy
Sorry, couldn't resist Smile
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the activity in this thread for such a great and unique fantasy replica.

That's an outstanding job there eltee!

Bruce
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ID cards, licenses, etc. for Deckard, Holden, Bryant and Gaff. All represent them in 2012 and at prior ranks i.e., Bryant is a lieutenant, Holden is a detective, Deckard is a policeman. There is no "Bladerunner" unit yet because in 2012 replicants look like C3PO and not like the Nexus 6 series. However, the assignments they have in this set setup the scenario for a natural transition into a Bladerunner unit when the time comes a few years later.

eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to inquiries, here is a pic of a partially completed Bryant set. He is portrayed, circa 2012, as a police lieutenant.

Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the idea of the pre Blade Runner unit ID`s Gary and they look fantastic.
My favorite Deckard id picture is the one on the infamous Mr Wallaces cards, i must be the only person who had both his orders honoured, as it
looks like a younger Deckard in a street cops shirt. The photo on my work id was taken about 7 years ago but keeps turning up on every new one,
im thinking the LAPD follows the same trend.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
The photo on my work id was taken about 7 years ago but keeps turning up on every new one, im thinking the LAPD follows the same trend.

I had a friend from Germany who told me that, in Germany, it's not unusual for their equivalent of the DMV to use a person's original driver's license photo on subsequent licenses every time the DL is renewed... with the result that there are some 60-year-old drivers whose licenses show photos of them when they were 20.

I don't know if it's true, but I found the idea quite amusing.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
Love the idea of the pre Blade Runner unit ID`s Gary and they look fantastic.
My favorite Deckard id picture is the one on the infamous Mr Wallaces cards, i must be the only person who had both his orders honoured, as it
looks like a younger Deckard in a street cops shirt. The photo on my work id was taken about 7 years ago but keeps turning up on every new one,
im thinking the LAPD follows the same trend.

On LAPD (and in my dept.) they take new photos every few years for your police ID. Also, if you change your appearance (facial hair, long hair, etc. for plainclothes duty) they will update your photo. A duplicate set of photos is kept in the personnel office in a photo file and a third copy is in your personnel file.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Eltee...by the way in Belgium (don't know if it has changed) we did the same thing as in Germany, just supply a picture of yourself (any era will do) and...bingo, you got yourself a new driver's license, or identity card, etc...
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's true! Shocked

Thanks for sharing that information about Belgium, joberg. Very interesting!

Those are gorgeous wallet sets, eltee. Am I reading this correctly? You have sets currently available?
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited # of kits available. First batch all gone. This is what's left of the the second batch. Two went to California collectors in April. These are labor intensive for me and time consuming, so they ended up pretty much commission sets by word of mouth.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: A COUPLE SETS LEFT OVER Reply with quote

OK, I have completed my commitments on these to date and I have enough components for a few more sets for Deckard, Gaff, Bryant and Holden. I have silver wallet badges for "Patrolman" Deckard (pre-detective / Bladerunner) and some gold ones for the others.

The badge maker retired, so he did one last run for me and returned my molds. He was something of an artisan, his specialty was jewelry and a flame burnished finish so he applied his craft to my badge project. Truly, unless I find another metalsmith who can do these, the badges I have in hand are the last ones.

At this time I will not sell components (inc. the badge) separately. I have the wallets, badge pieces and wallet fillers at pretty much equal numbers so breaking up sets is not productive.

THANKS for looking. This has been a satisfying and successful project, and nobody to date has had a complaint with their acquisition. As the pics show, even Morgan Paull (actor who played Holden) was very happy with his set.
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....could you give me a price on a completed Bryant set."?... very very nice work....
David
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassnoir wrote:
....could you give me a price on a completed Bryant set."?... very very nice work....
David

The Bryant set is $300.00 built up, shipped within CONUS. It has two fewer cards than Deckard (no Vid Phon or Apt. card).

Thanks for looking.

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: