FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The Tomenosuke Blaster Kit: A Closer Look
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakob2121
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I've already got it about halfway built after spending all of the evening working on it.

I'd say it's worth the money, I was just expecting - based on email saying the pieces were hand-finished - more or less finished metal parts. The only problem I couldn't fix was the pitting on the outer grip. Most of it got puttied with Bondo glaze, but there's some at the very bottom where the metal is exposed. But since I'm weathering it, I suppose it will just add to the personality.

I used JB Weld to fix the voids in the cylinder cover. I can take a picture of that before I paint it, but, it'll be okay. I already got an email from Eno saying they'd ship me a replacement cover if I wanted, but I'm happy with the Bondo fix. Everything still has room to go together.

The outer grip is really thin in the top of the curve, which makes it a bit weak by itself, but after test fitting all the parts it feels like it'll be solid enough for light handling. Obviously not as sturdy as the Hartford airsofts, but much better than either the Offworld or all-metal Coyle. The plastic parts interlock pretty well.

After testing a bunch of different paints on sheet styrene, it seems buffed Testors Metalizer Aluminum Plate seems to be the best match. Others might disagree, but I am pretty happy with it.

And I painted that daggum switch white with Krylon Fusion. I'll post pics once it's completed.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eager to see those pics!
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, please post pics. I would expect the kit would be raw and require alot of work, which is why the finished build is almost double the price.
jakob2121
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent the better part of three days working on it. The Steyr receiver was a pain the ass. I used Mother's, then a wire brush, then blued the lettering and other indentations, sanded with 400 on up through steel wool, and then reblued it two days in a row to get it even. I agree with whomever said that a cop wouldn't let their weapon get rusty, regardless of the rain, so I left it blued.

I'm still not settled on the Weaver knob versus the slotted screw, but either way, the odd little posts that they use to mount them are a good 1/4" too tall, so I shortened them both.

I'll be covering the wires as soon as I get a roll of electric tape! Can't believe I'm out.

I spent a good long while filing down metal to get the bolt and cylinder working, only to realize that cylinder was still 'stuck' in the receiver when the bullets were inserted. There simply isn't enough clearance.

Overall, I'm very happy with the kit, even if it was a lot more work than I would have guessed. I was expecting more along the lines of a JLong Trek kit - something where there's work to be done, but the fit and finish is 100% dead on. The bolt has micro pitting that seemed to stay around, regardless of how much sanding I did. Same with the outer grip frame.

It goes together very well, even if I can't get the cylinder to work properly. I didn't have Temponaut's issue with the loose clip. And the spring-loaded front trigger and the fully-working rear trigger are a nice touch.

Flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7445482@N04/sets/72157618597595915/
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aweosme!
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate..

I'm also a little surprised that this specific blaster release turned out to be a bit of a battle getting finished. After seeing all the hype and the gorgeous pictures of their WIP build process, I thought this piece would set the bar exceedingly high. That said, I guess in reality it is still a mass produced kit so issues should be expected - but I certainly thought differently...

Certainly, your build still tells me that this is still one of the finest reproductions out there and considering the Worldcon Karl-T reference, you have in my mind acquired a gorgeous collectable!

Now all I've got to do is deal with the guilt of wanting to steal it from you...

Well done and cheers for sharing!
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that is one great looking blaster!!
Sorry to hear about the problems you've had with it though.
jakob2121
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't wildly problematic. I'm quite happy with the buildup. The lettering and all that is very sharp. I think that at this point they may be moving a little fast for the QA process, is all. The good parts were absolutely fantastic. The few bad parts were head-scratchers. Hopefully I just got a "bad" sample. The end result is still significantly better than any of the other buildups I've had, bar none. It's work, but not nearly the amount of work people have had to put in to get the results out of a Sidkit, for example (just look at BeastMaster's thread - now that's workmanship!). It's nothing bondo or solder didn't fix.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there were more options in the UK for a blaster like that.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaff87 wrote:
I wish there were more options in the UK for a blaster like that.

Do they go after replica guns retroactively or is it that once the gun replica gets into the UK, it's fine to keep since nobody will bother looking for it?
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine its like those orange tips mandated by US law, they go after anything coming into the country that doesn't have one, but once its in your home they don't bother if the orange tip's been removed. I've had bigger hassles with trademarks being removed. Nothing worse than opening the box after shelling out some $$ only to find they took a dremel to the trademarks so it would pass customs.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good build Jakob Cool
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good! cheers for showing the photo gallery too. dam! I wish I had one of these kits Smile
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Jakob's flikr gallery and propsummit made it into the Tomenosuke blog.

http://tenshu53.exblog.jp/8316936/

Translated by Google

Andy
jakob2121
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out, Andy!

Not sure if I should take this as an insult, though (Google translation):

"American for better or worse, Husi非ZU also reminiscent of frost in hell and you make a bit rushed."
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, if teh google is planning to rule the internets, you'd think they'd get some better translation software running.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Literal translation of words and their usage differ. Google translator asks for people to update the translations and suggest better translations ala wiki style to get more accurate over time. Also translations have a hard time imparting intonation. I had asked about things I thought were being said, and I turned out wrong. Hopefully one of our Japanese speaking members can help us with a better translation.

Andy
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakob2121 wrote:
Thanks for pointing that out, Andy!

Not sure if I should take this as an insult, though (Google translation):

"American for better or worse, Husi非ZU also reminiscent of frost in hell and you make a bit rushed."

You will be happy to know that the Tomenosuke blog put up a reply to your comment.

"Hi jakob2121,
I pay my respects to the discussion board "PROPSUMIT.COM" where constructive exchange of opinions is always carried out. I'm an owner of Tomenosuke-shoten and a producer of Tomenosuke Blaster.
Has the article in my blog caused misunderstanding as it was too short?
"All-American" means "boldness" that lacks in Japanese people who worry too much about trivial thing and it is my frank comments when I viewed overwhelming finish that cannot be reflected by Japanese.
Meanwhile, as far as I can view the image, I thought it would have been even more wonderful if it was glossier grip. That refers to my comment, "It makes me feel hastily-prepared."
However, the polish of the Receiver end is a wonderful one captivating original shape. It is one of parts where we concentrated our thoughts most in finishing Blaster complete model.
Thank you very much."

http://tenshu53.exblog.jp/8316936/

jakob2121
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a level of customer interaction! I was being sarcastic about not knowing if I should be offended, since the Google translation was more or less gibberish.

My webcomic about the experience: http://minion-a.com/94

I wonder if he meant the outer grip frame, or the buttplate, or the black paint (which is semi-gloss)? Ah well.

And since the Tomenosuke guys are clearly reading, I want to offer my thanks again for putting this kit together! It will gladly be hanging in my office for a good, long while. I already got a custom case put together to display it!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a very good piece for me, and with time I'm sure the Japanese will produce the ultimate blaster...and the ultimate prop Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: