FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Halcyon Nostromo model photos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
modelmaker 2001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Halcyon Nostromo model photos Reply with quote

I read an invitation given to modelers to display photos of their Halcyon models of Nostromo. So, here some photos I took about 2 years ago of my own model. I still haven't finished everything on it. I still want to add a shuttle, Ash's science blister, and a main airlock/lift, for example.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10000569@N06/1387738598/sizes/o/in/set-72157602027393998/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10000569@N06/1387738512/sizes/o/in/set-72157602027393998/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10000569@N06/1387738360/sizes/o/in/set-72157602027393998/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10000569@N06/1387738432/sizes/o/in/set-72157602027393998/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10000569@N06/1387738304/sizes/o/in/set-72157602027393998/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10000569@N06/1386843671/sizes/o/in/set-72157602027393998/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10000569@N06/1386843577/sizes/o/in/set-72157602027393998/

It's funny how in most of the light in which I look at it, I don't see much of the gold tint that shows up in the photos. In 'person" the model is more silvery-grey with only a hint of a warm slightly titanium gold. I'd appreciate any comments and/or suggestions about the model as it currently looks or about my ideas for the airlock, science blister, and shuttle.

Last edited by modelmaker 2001 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Your Nostromo looks great! I like the numbering on the sides of the nacelles, it adds a touch of uniqueness to it. Are you going to make a base of some kind for it to sit on at some point?
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice model! It looks like the 2nd version paint job before they repainted it the final time..right down to the registration numbers!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Impressive paint job. Makes me feel pretty bad about mine Wink

Welcome to propsummit too.

Andy
modelmaker 2001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys. I liked the numbers on the sides ever since I saw a photo of Nostromo in an Alien calender that I bought waaaaaay back in 1979. I see in retrospect that the registration numbers should actually have been larger. On the other hand, I figure a heavily used vessel like Nostromo is likely to have been repaired, refitted, section repainted, etc. many times over the years. That couls also be a way to explain why the registration numbers also seemed to vay on the uniform patches, the numbers painted under the port bridge windows, the 2nd paint job of the large model, and the numbers given by Ripley when she was trying to contact Antarctica Traffic Control. I was sorely tempted to paint it in shades of yellow and if I ever get a small model of Nostromo I think that I'll do that. I like the idea of making it look like a "Caterpillar" type of heavy construction equipment.

I also see that I'm not alone in trying to pin down the location of airlocks and the science blister. I'd never would have guessed that Ash's blister was on the port side of the main hull! I also agree that in addition to the main airlock that it makes sense for any ship, esp. one as large an labyrinth-like as Nostromo to have multiple airlocks.

I'm still considering the idea of building and painting some sort of landing platform or planetscape as a base for the model. I love this fan art painting of Nostromo as a concept of a Company landing pad/industrial site. I think it'd be a great basis for a model diorama. Does anyone know who painted this scene?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10000569@N06/3676800501/sizes/o/
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree, a very nice model.. I have this scene on my website I started way back when but dont have time to finish it. It is Nostromo landed on a platform on a dreary day.....

I had Jon Sorenson identify the blister on mine, I had no Idea thats what that thing was. I also have a airlock on the port side of the hull, the bottom has what looks like a larger cargo airlock, and what looks like an airlock hatch facing the port engine nacelle from the side of the hull...maybe the one kane was ejected out of..
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image you've shown is by Yann Souetre;

http://www.yann-souetre.com/3d2/index.html

The original creator who made the cgi model several years ago used for the shot is Derrin Proctor, and I believe this model was also used for Dennis Lowe's Alien Makers movie. I've used it as the basis for my blueprints, though now I've heavily modified it's appearance.

Last edited by Space Jockey on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
modelmaker 2001

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some fantastic dystopian images! Thank you very much for the link!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Modelmaker! Nice to see such good work grace the pages of this forum. Eager to see your project in pictures
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: For ModelMaker 2001... Reply with quote

I may have some requests in regards to specific photos from your NOSTROMO model in regards to possible placements of the airlock and the perspective of where the astronauts would be below the ship:

I've always thought the airlock was right in front of the front landing leg; I see how one of the original ALIEN model makers has stated that the airlock is located (probably) on the main body on the left side near the Narcissus' location - this would mean that the airlock door would be directly across from the left-side (or Port) landing leg. Regardless, Ash's blister would have to be to the left side of the airlock, being that his seat turns so he can look out the right side of the window to see the astronauts below.

I was wondering if you could take some photos of the camera in essence these locations:

The 2nd image would show the perspective from the airlock located near the Narcissus and how it should look as opposed to what we see in the film.

The 3rd image shows an alternative (or extra) location for the airlock as directly underneath the living quarters, thus the ramp the astronauts are on could also lift upwards INTO the ship to help unload cargo or bring wounded crew members (such as Kane) as close to the infirmary as possible without carrying them through the corridors of the ship (and have them possibly bleed to death before the autodoc could help them).

The 4th, 5th and 6th image show where most of us (or at least myself) always thought the airlock to be, to once again be close to the front pod. The problem is then that the airlock door would be flush with the landing leg doors, so what if there was a platform or "ledge" outside the airlock door for the astronauts to walk onto? The floor would be the lowering ramp, which per above would also be able to lift into the ship for cargo and wounded crew transport.

There is also the possibility of the airlock (or another one) being located in the center of the metal "band" that wraps around the bottom section of the ship. It would be facing the front landing leg as well as facing forward (image edited after words were typed; should say "one of these 4 areas")
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of the several airlocks on my model, this would pertain to the shuttle side..

Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: re: location(s) of the airlock... Reply with quote

Keep in mind that when the airlock door opens, we can see the landing leg. Granted, there should have been a door there, since the airlock would be too high up to see the lower superstructure of the leg itself, as well as considering just how big those landing leg doors are.

Even so, the airlock the 3 astronauts come out of has to be in direct alignment with one of the landing legs.

Also keep in mind that Ash has to turn his seat 90 degrees to the right in order to see the astronauts, which would place his blister to the left of the airlock (how far away is debatable).
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That airlock you are referring to is directly in front of the front strut, facing back towards it.

I thought you were referring to the possible ones kane could have been shot out of... sorry, I misunderstood

I just looked over your drawings... you have it correct... right in front of the front Strut...
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: airlock's crazy location... Reply with quote

Well that's just it: the airlock could be anywhere of those 3 or 4 places (or all of them for that matter).

The consistent thing is that the airlock door opens to face the landing gear, so wherever the airlock is it has to be facing one of the landing legs. 3 of the 4 locations I pointed to in the underbelly sketch would face one of the landing legs. The location I pointed underneath the living pod was simply a suggested possibility due to its proximity to the living quarters and the autodoc (being that if someone DID get hurt, it would be silly to have to travel the whole length of the ship to go from the airlock to the medical area and have said person die during the process).

You still have not only size inconsistencies, but set problems as mentioned above. For the reputation for being a stickler for detail, Ridley really dropped the ball in ALIEN...
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: airlock's crazy location... Reply with quote

Monroville wrote:

You still have not only size inconsistencies, but set problems as mentioned above. For the reputation for being a stickler for detail, Ridley really dropped the ball in ALIEN...

I don't feel he did; his prime goal was to get his vision for the movie and story on screen and succeeded by the bucketload; I certainly don't feel he would have foreseen some Alien geek like me trying to match up all the different models and the full size sets and airlocks and locations of Nostromo crew used foosball thirty years later...
... but I digress.

Here's some cool shots of a Nostromo Halcyon model. This ain't mine, I think it was on ebay a while ago and I saved the pics because the paintjob is awesome, and if/when I get a Nostromo kit of my very own, it'll look like a cross between this baby, and the one by Small Artworks!!!
If this model belongs to you, it's really cool!!! And well done!!!

And BEHOLD!!!! IT HAS LIGHTS!!!!!

Last edited by Space Jockey on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this one too, made by Small Artworks. The other one wins though as it has the pretty lights. I'm starting to feel hypnotized again...

http://www.smallartworks.ca/Gallery/Nostromo/Nostromo.html

Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaah The lit one on top, I think Thats the guy I sold one of my kits to about 3 months ago.... He was going to photo etch the entire hull!!!

He did a good job on that halcyon model.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo etch the entire hull...? Wow, that would be great to see...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: