joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great drawings as always Space Jockey! Keep up the great job
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
Yes, absolutely. Of course it’d be no problem to show it today with cgi, but back then, it shows a hint of the undercarriage in the distance, and it’s a great scene (probably one of my favorites) and captures the intent really well.
Just out of curiosity I measured on CAD the distance between the center of the front landing leg and one of the rear ones, and it measures 308 ft, or 95 meters. And currently it’s scaled to measure 800ft from the tip of the bridge nose and the rear of the nacelle boosters (minus the protruding fins from the back of each nacelle).

Got an image of the airlock area with landing leg and scalebar for comparison.

I take it the air-lock pod lowers out of the main hull? in regards to my earlier comments, my explanation for the airlock still being flush with the "step" area was that there was a "porch" of a sorts which also acted as the loading dock that descended down. The rough sketches should depict the idea (maybe it's not coming out too well)...

Regardless, to me the Nostromo has to be more like 1400 (length) by 1200 (width) in order to account for the shuttle to fit with some room between the main hull and the port engine nacelle. In my ALIEN: REVISITED I plan on replacing the landing leg outside the airlock door with the LL door flush with the "porch/loading dock door", as well as increase the size of the legs in the following shots and change the overall background elements.

It will be hell to do, but if you checked out STAR WARS: REVISITED over at originaltrilogy.com (which one man in the UK did in a 2 year time span), you'll see anything is possible with home computers these days... provided of course you have the time to do it...
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The airlock will be staying as is. I'm more than happy with it's design and as mentioned before I'd like to incorporate Stuart Rose's original concept.
The Elevator / Airlock chamber is inside and goes upto C-Deck. As you can see from the diagram I posted, even if the airlock was just up inside the hull there wouldn't be enough room for the room behind the airlock or any corridors, hence the reason why I feel C-Deck is quite high up in the ship. If the whole thing goes into the ship, it's another unwarranted hull penetration with possibilties for hull breach and leaks.

The 800ft length of the ship on the blueprints I'm producing ties in with the 800ft length given in some books and articles about the movie i.e. The Book of Alien by Scanlon and Gross.
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys! Can't remember how I stumbled on this discussion, but boy I'm glad I did.

When I launched "The Nostromo Files" back in the 90's, I was obsessed with the ship and, despite lacking the tools, did the best job I could making blueprints and drawings. The site can be found online somwhere (thanks to the fan who preserved it in its neglected state), and I've never gone back to re-do it.

I'll be watching this develop and am very interested in those blueprints and authenticated models.

Once I figure out how to upload pix, I'll post my deck plans. Ought to be good for a chuckle. Very Happy

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add the image tags to either side of the URL [img]image.url[/img] by highlighting the url and hitting the Img button.

Those pics look pretty familiar. I have had saved them from your site years ago.

Welcome to propsummit FenGiddel86.
Andy
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, welcome indeed Darrell! I too saw your original site which was terrific. Is it still around in it's re-hosted state? I wasn't able to find it...Excellent to see you post here.
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here goes a few more:

The blurry little set plans on the Alien DVD site were my only resource for internals, that and the Book of Alien's designs. Other than the Halcyon kit instruction art, felt pens, whiteout.

Gives me a true appreciation for CG artists!

I spent hours pondering the internals, feeling like some on this thread that there were other lifts, accessways, etc., not shown since they weren't needed to further the story. Cannot remember why I put the airlock on B deck, unless it was because the 'antechamber' set was dressed with a bit of white and B deck was the 'transition' deck between WHITE A and GLOOMY C. (Of course the bridge is an exception to the white theme)

I would love to see more set photos of the bridge layout, but those seem to be rare. The blister photos on the earlier pages were eye-opening for me.

I have an article from the site I wrote about decontstructing the Nostromo somewhere. I'll load it when I find it. Hopefully it will add something to this thread...

Darrell
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I rememeber the section through the Nostromo...Excellent! With the undercarriage leg and hydraulics going through all three levels of the ship...Great to see these again!!
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome FenGiddel86!

What a great contribution to the site... I love the diagrams!!!!
blipper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Darrell many thanks for that site, I too remember coming across it years ago in a desperate trawl through the web for Nostromo info. It was really heartening to see someone had put so much work into something it seemed only a few of us would totally appreciate. I too would also love to see more regarding the bridge layout and details, never been a more believable space vessel ever, imo. At some point I'd like to recreate a detailed version in the 3d application I use.

And thanks Space Jockey for sharing all the work-in-progress diagrams. I had a dream the other night I was on the Nostromo, I was quite pleased that I had the presence of mind to ask Dallas for any blueprints he had available of the ship on your behalf. He handed me a nice thick blue folder containing just about every detail of the Nostromo and told me to "knock myself out, meanwhile we have some kind of weird creature on board".

It was only then I realised I might not actually survive to give them to you! Sad
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for the thoughts anyway blipper, when you were on board the Nostromo!!
Very quick update... must dash!

Some things are still missing but I'll fix them later

Last edited by Space Jockey on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! that is looking incredible!!!!!!!!!
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now we're talking!!! In my last post I had the front shot and I looked at it tonight and thought 'there's something major missing' but I couldn't think what it was then it dawned on me, that I'd forgotten to draw in the rear nacelle exhausts behind the nacelle landing legs!

I've updated the last post with the new image. I have three things left to do... docking module on top; an additional antenna on the underside and detail around the front sat dish; plus mayb a forth, showing the Narcissus (now I have to think do I add a second lifeboat shuttle or not)...
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kind of torn over this problem, actually in the movie, Lambert was suggesting "drawing straws" because the shuttle would not take four occupants.. the only problem I see with 2 shuttles is that the Nostromo was so big, and it could have easily accommodated a larger shuttle for a full crew.

The Nostromo also had a docking tube on front..so I am kind of skeptical . The second shuttle seems like an interesting idea, but it makes no sense whatsoever. there was only one on the studio model as noted by Phil Rae, and as much as a second one would be cool..again, makes no logical sense why half of the crew would fly on one and the other half on another. besides, the asymmetry of the single shuttle tucked under the one side makes much more aesthetic sense on the Nostromo
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do I have to say. Even with three people on board the Narcissus that'd still leave four, all of which would have to go on the other, and we only ever see two hypersleep capsules on the Narcissus alone. Nostromo is a bit like Titanic with not enough lifeboats.
Just sent you an email, by the way.

Maybe I'll put the question to Dennis and Jon at Alien Experience and see what they think.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely pose that question to them..and then ask them why they are on Alien experience and not here LOL!!!!!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive new update on the blueprints, Graham ! That front view is awesome !

Regarding the number of shuttles... From what I recall from the novel adaptation, there was supposed to be 2 shuttles but one was missing or out of order...

I must add that it would make sense to have 2 shuttles, consideringthe size of the Nostromo and its 7 members crew... but because they only mention the Narcissus in the film, why don't you just incorporate 2 shuttle bays and one shuttle (Narcissus) in your blueprints ? This way they would match both the film and the novelization !

Fred

PS: BTW, welcoe aboard FenGiddel86 !
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
Ah, I rememeber the section through the Nostromo...Excellent! With the undercarriage leg and hydraulics going through all three levels of the ship...Great to see these again!!

Now that you pointed out this out, it makes me think about the deleted scene where Ripley takes a ladder down to the claw room and finds Brett and Dallas. The sequence is so gloomy I cannot tell for certain, but it makes one think...
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
Impressive new update on the blueprints, Graham ! That front view is awesome !

Regarding the number of shuttles... From what I recall from the novel adaptation, there was supposed to be 2 shuttles but one was missing or out of order...

I must add that it would make sense to have 2 shuttles, consideringthe size of the Nostromo and its 7 members crew... but because they only mention the Narcissus in the film, why don't you just incorporate 2 shuttle bays and one shuttle (Narcissus) in your blueprints ? This way they would match both the film and the novelization !

Fred

PS: BTW, welcoe aboard FenGiddel86 !

Thanks, Fred!

You know, having 50% of the ship's emergency evac system in disrepair would fit perfectly within the character ethic of The Company, eh?

Darrell
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure that non catastrophic accidents allowing abandoning ship were rare so they didn't feel any great risk flying with one shuttle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 9 of 39

Jump to: