FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
USCSS Nostromo - Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out, when studying the photos I found that the Weylan-Yutani emblem is on the top nacelle fins, too...

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks logical after all...

Very good find, Graham !

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find Graham...more imput: that's what we need Very Happy
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys...well done to Fred for finding the emblem in the first place. It doesn't seem to be anywhere else, though....
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Fred enough time and he'll find it
lizardman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thread folks! I've just found this site and thread while searching for technical detail about the Nostromo! This is motherlode!! I'm not a modeller but a programmer (and hobbyist game designer) and I'm now working on an idea to create a re-work of an old Alien game. The floorplans and blueprints found here are precious!
It would be very cool to read about more details about the Nostromo.

Full Respect!!
Smile
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Lizardman! Cool to hear about the game, are you reworking the really old alien game which came out on the spectrum, amstrad and C64?? That was a great game!
Keep an eye on this thread too over the next couple of days and next weekend, as I'll start uploading more images of the exterior blueprints.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to propsummit.com!!

great work spacejockey!!!I cant wait to see more! More more more!!!!!!!!!
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: ALIEN Set Blueprints For Sale Reply with quote

Here's the link to a site I stumbled on that has some Alien set blueprints for sale (or sold already). The pics aren't large, for obvious, reasons, but still make for interesting viewing:

http://www.remington-rand.com/alien/
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Nostromo Landing Gear Reply with quote

I just finished the movie (Director's Cut) today and noticed something about the landing gear in Brett's death scene that may impact the scale of my blueprints/cutaway.

The individual "feet" on the Halcyon model kit instruction sheet, from which my blueprints came, seem too tall compared to the feet shown in the film.

Here is a composite of a scene showing Brett near a foot and my blueprints. You'll see on the blueprint that the height of the foot is greater than the height of the flight deck bay windows.

The Halcyon drawing is off somehow.

You guys think, like me, that the feet are out of scale on the drawing???

lizardman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Space Jokey and jtparker!

Space Jockey wrote:
Welcome Lizardman! Cool to hear about the game, are you reworking the really old alien game which came out on the spectrum, amstrad and C64?? That was a great game!
Keep an eye on this thread too over the next couple of days and next weekend, as I'll start uploading more images of the exterior blueprints.

Yes, I think there are several Alien games but I'm not sure right now if there are more than one about the first Movie. Here's a link to the games details http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=81

Cool that you know the game! I think the idea behind the gameplay is great but somehow the execution is a little bit sluggish, i.e. it takes very long to move from one room to another.

@FenGiddel86

I think the scale of your drawing isn't so much out of scale. Rather the props used in some scenes are out of scale. As Scott mentioned somewhere, he thinks that the landing strut they've used is actually still too small to really give an impression about the scale of the ship.
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: The whole "size" issue... Reply with quote

If you watch the movie or, better still, have the ALIEN movie novel, you will notice that the model scale is all over the place. During the landing sequence, there is a nice side shot of the NOSTROMO. Using that image, you can essentially measure the ship using the bridge side window as a means of measurement (the window would have to be 10 to 12 feet high, or one story). You can then take a metric ruler, measure the height of the window (which is roughly 1 mm) and then measure the ship and the landing legs (as well as the landing leg tips) with the scale of 1mm = 10 to 12 feet.

You can also compare the bridge to the Narcissus, which have essentially the same sized set. Here is where the problems begin: during the landing sequence there is a nice front view of the NOSTROMO. If the Narcissus is at least as wide as the bridge, it should take up the entire space under the right wing (looking at the NOSTROMO from the front). Yet when we see the Narcissus under the wing when Dallas is listening to Mozart and when Kane's body is ejected, the Narcissus takes up maybe 1/3 to 1/4 the size of the wing.

Like my previous post, the length of the NOSTROMO varies from either 800 feet, to 1400 feet to even bigger if you go by the Narcissus shots.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, actually I agree, the scenes are all over the place as far as size, but it all just works.

These guys made such large sets and props on a scale that is enormous, and Ridley Scott being such a visual director that he is, I imagine was going for impact on the audience..for example the Narcissus nestled under the wing of the Nostromo. what an example of size.

It just looks fantastic. I guess all we can all do is try to make everything work as best we can..and kudos to the original propmakers and designers.. they got it all so close! I for one would never want to try to attempt such a responsibility like Sir Ridley took on.... but in the end, the result is a fantastic visual experience.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gagaggh....need....sleep...
Been working on these friggin' things all day. These views are pretty much there I think. Bugger I hope so. I love this ship, but it's a git to draw. Just got the underside to finish off...
Been reading other posts while I've been working....I'm far too knackered to respond now but I will say FenGiddel...you are absolutely correct sir.
SMOKE ME A KIPPER, I'LL BE BACK FOR BREAKFAST!!!!!

Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger these prints look nice. WOOT WOOT!!!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.P.E.C.T.A.C.U.L.A.R. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And welcome Lizardman!! The more the merrier
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'prints are looking awesome. What a fantastic ship!

=============

I did some quick-n-dirty scaling yesterday, using the 800-ft scale, and estimated the bridge bay windows are about 10 - 11 stories off the ground. Quite a view!
bizbazboz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMEGGIN' ACE Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Great looking BPs there, Space Jockey! Reply with quote

Those are looking quite excellent! May still need to "flatten" the bottom area under the wings to accomodate the adding of the Narcissus (and other shuttle?). Regardless, there are a few tiny things I would change - not design-wise, but what lines could be Bold, Mid-Bold and normal. I will post some visual suggestions tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 12 of 39

Jump to: