FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
one-of-a-kind BR end tables
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that material was readily available in the late 70's and early 80's, but probably not so much any more.
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: well... Reply with quote

at this point it looks good enough.....lol, I mean a coat of epoxy and a pan of sand would take care of the hot tub look...but a solid tile would be easier to mount...
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we made copies for my project we used concrete and the resulting tiles were quite heavy and a dull greyish color. Obviously we should have attempted to colour the concrete before casting.
I must point out that it was my friend who was in charge of the operation. I knew little about the mold making and casting process. He was working in theatre design and rented a workshop/studio. He ended up owing thousands in rent and so never went back. Leaving the the damn copies behind. Sad That was 5 years ago now.

I still have the two originals but like i said earlier one was left with a dull stain on it. I think it was due to whatever he used as a release agent.

I might be willing to try again if anyone could suggest a non-destructive mold making method and also a way of achieving the 'sandstone' finish.
If it's possible to make a rigid mold of some kind (ABS plastic?) that would be ideal as our latex effort gave up the ghost after 9 tiles.
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could definately creat a rigid mold by simply vacuforming styrene or abs over top the actual tile.

My original plan for the paper pulp casting was to create about 5 molds our of plaster. You could then swish in you pulp for the five molds then let it sit out over night or however long it took to dry out. It would be a long wait to get enough of the correct amount needed to do a room or even just a wall but it would be cheap, and there isn't much you can screw up.

A buddy of mine actually sent off for one of the full size tile replicas form the Ennis estate but it was right when everythign was shuttign down and we never got our tile. The project has been on hold since then. Sigh...

Cost of material is a big concern for me since I'm doing an entire room. My studio here has a wall that is about 8 feet tall by 11 feet wide. That would take 50 16x16 tiles to cover. You can do the rest of the math to do the entire room!

I can just get a sample tile mold I can get started! It would be a great summer project.

Nick
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. What do you fellas think sbout the process shown here (fantastic site for instructional videos).
Would urethane need a release agent for use with the tile?

Is there anything that i could use that wouldn't stain it futher?

see what you think.

http://www.freemansupply.com/video/rigid/rigidmolds.htm
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking using one of the Vacuum form tiles as the mold itself and using polyurethane foam to fill it. You could use a flat back to make the second part of the mold and any over/out flow could easily be trimmed off. You could also put in mounting brackets inside the mold to be molded inside the final piece. they could also be easily mounted with liquid nails, ir just some thin finishing nails. Of course the cost enough stuff to do an entire room is around $700 not including the time to make them one at a time and wait for them to cure.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I was thinking using one of the Vacuum form tiles as the mold itself and using polyurethane foam to fill it. You could use a flat back to make the second part of the mold and any over/out flow could easily be trimmed off. You could also put in mounting brackets inside the mold to be molded inside the final piece. they could also be easily mounted with liquid nails, ir just some thin finishing nails. Of course the cost enough stuff to do an entire room is around $700 not including the time to make them one at a time and wait for them to cure.

My desire to do a whole room (sheesh, i once wanted to do my whole apartment!) has fizzled somwhat over the years. Theres a chimney-breast type section of wall in my living room that, as luck would have it, is exactly three tile widths wide. I also have incredibly low ceilings (only 2 inches higher than the film set which was 6 foot 8 inches) So i'd just do that. I think for anyone doing a whole room it would be important to make some 'blank' tyles as well. That EBH textile motif repeated over and over might be a little oppressive.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blank tile is also a part of deckard's apartment and the Ennis house. BTW I may be moving some of this discussion over to this thread so it doesn't keep hijacking Photek's thread.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
the blank tile is also a part of deckard's apartment and the Ennis house. BTW I may be moving some of this discussion over to this thread so it doesn't keep hijacking Photek's thread.

Yeah was gonna suggest that... (sorry photek!)
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries guys, i am just reading in fascination and happy to see this discussion evolve. please keep the new thread rolling!

and for what its worth, if it brings us a step closer to our collective dreams of doing just a wall or an entire conapt, i volunteer my tiles to make a mold etc. (provided they arent ruined). just tell me what to do, i'll give it a shot and would be happy to share the end product with those of you who are serious about this.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have just let things roll because the discussions and ideas were getting pretty good. The only advantage to seperating the thread would have been to make it easier for a new person to find it and comment, But it was going along just fine and I know it was one of the things Photek was hoping to get into. So this and all the threads can stay as is for now untill something does start to happen. Remember this is all information sharing to help each other out with our best way to replicate Deckard's apartment in our own way. Any sensitive information should at this time stay private.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: