FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Safariland prices?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lear60man
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Safariland prices? Reply with quote

What are unmolested shoulder rigs going for these days?
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Holster Prices Reply with quote

Well Safariland do not and will not produce that model anymore, I know I've checked! so you have to resort to all the auctions !!

If you could buy one a used full rig, it's going to cost you between $100 to $175 dollars currently , possibly more - as they get in short supply - they used to be $50 to $60 but quite a few people got wind that you could convert a particular model type with very little alteration into a BR film accurate version - so the price went up quite a lot - I have four in my collection and I also have two previous versions that have the elastic band instead of the ' V' spring these still can be converted since the size of the holster allows cut down to a BR version, with 'cosmetic' stitching and a little cutting , you can make it look like the BR version , but obviously you need the correct model type if you want to be exact , PM me your email address and I'll send you the specific information you need with photos. I am still searching and buying up old vintage ones for conversion as I am currently converting the four I have into full BR hipster versions and will be offering then here soon.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still show up for the cheaper price now and then. I have passed on a few that only went for around $60. I have also picked up a few after the prices shot up, for under $40 or around there. Still need to finish them though.

Andy
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is over the retention clip system.When Rich used to come in here he stated that the steel clip would damage any soft metal prop which I hadn't thought of.Anybody notice such damage?
lear60man
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have a 1001 shoulder rig and was just curious what its value was before I start converting it. If they were now super rare I would get one of Phils and keep this one unmodified.
Christian
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Customising A Safariland Reply with quote

It's not difficult , but to do a really good job, you either need to know leathercraft and have done some before or you can get leatherwork done elaewhere The problem with Clam shell springs and V springs are that these were made for 'real' guns - not replicas - if you 'size' your holster correctly and in particular 'wet mold' it , you will get a perfect fit -that gives a firm hold and your Blaster should not be damaged, putting a replica Resin or soft metal one into an unsized holster of any kind may lead to potential damage - treat you holster properly and you'll have no problems and the thing will last for almost foever ! regularly treat the leather as you would do horsetack anyone wanting full details can PM me for info

best regards

Jonny
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a sort of photo tutorial on how to convert a Safariland shoulder rig into a Deckard style belt holster, inc. how I used a police baton (a 1" wood dowel would work as well) to wet form the holster to accomodate a blaster. Here is a link to a previous thread on converting holsters:

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=181&highlight=
lear60man
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the great tutorial!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price ranges for the 1001 holsters I have seen recently (past year or so) are $50-$150 for the 4" shoulder rig. This one needs no modification to fit the smaller guns like the offworld, pre-worldcon Coyle's, Marco, and stunt casts. They would only need to have a new belt loop and have the should strap cut off and new stitching (much easier said than done.) There is someone here near Rochester that has been doing them and putting them up on ebay, but I haven't been able to get in contact with him yet. I have been hoping to work out a trade with him to help make me a hip cross draw holster from one of mine.

The Long barrel holsters seem to go for a bit less, Usually about $40-$80. They take a lot more to be converted but when done should work better for the new larger guns.

I have only seen a couple of the standard Hip level cross draw versions, and they have sold for around the $100 mark even before the info here leaked and brought the price up on the other holsters as well.

None of these holsters should be used with the resin guns without taking them out and putting them in carefully. They would also take paint off if used on a regular basis. The Laser pointer/green LED rod is also very susceptible to getting damaged being put in the holster. I took it off of my Offworld that I have used as my costume gun. The Hartford is also durable enough to be used in the holsters, and fits the 4" barrel holsters well. The metal sidkit is a bit large for those holsters though as well as very heavy, and it will not stay in that holster very well. Fitting it the way Eltee and PropsjohnnyB describe may help though.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: