FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Bring Rich Coyle (Racprops) back? A poll for the community.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Rich Coyle (Racprops) be unbanned?
Bring him back, undo his ban.
 61%  [ 37 ]
Keep him banned.
 38%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 60

Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - I can't but be amused that even just referring to Rich gets people heated under the collar - and he's not even in the room yet!!

I think Andy hit the nail on the head. Lets not get sidetracked and rather concentrate on the facts - that way a decision can be made and we can move forward ...

amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not why I started this community, but it has come to my attention that there are four (4) accounts sharing the same IP address. All four of these accounts will be banned today.

If the person who owns these accounts whishes to discuss why all four (4) accounts are being banned, please contact me at admin@propsummit.com.

The four accounts being banned are as follows and each one is using the same exact IP address:

Roy
Once-Bitten
EdgarDeckard
Jacky "D"

If this is some odd mistake that I ban these and the IP address issue can be cleared up, I will gladly discuss it with the other community guides about bringing them back.

If anyone wants to discuss this, I am open for a civil discussion and will as always listen equally to all sides.

I apologize for any issues this may have caused anyone. I am now considering redoing the Poll because this person may have registered additional accounts to skew the poll. Sad.

I want everyone to know that I do not ban people very easily. I do not want to be the man on the hill that points fingers, but when someone messes with this community, I take it seriously.

Hopefully, anyone that has been slighted by any of the above banned members will realize it is not this community that has caused strife but the acts of a single person.

As always, if someone wants to discuss this, please do so. We want to be as open as possible with how this community is run, hence the poll.

Thanks,

Tom
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than redoing the poll, you could just take the responses that can be validated (i.e. those members who responded by leaving a post in this poll thread).

So far it looks like this:

Bring back:
hirohawa
oldzey
Bassnoir
The Loyalizer
Staar
offworld66
Gaff87
joberg
eltee
SKIN JOB 66
BeastMaster
ironfist
kurtyboy
QuasiOdo
propsjonnyb

Keep Banned:
Nexus6
Noeland

I can understand why people would not want to post the reason why they voted to keep Rich banned, but it looks like the votes could have been skewed by replicant (clone) voters. It also seems that (based upon the personal comments that can be validated as a vote) the majority of people are supportive of Rich coming back to Propsummit.

Last edited by oldzey on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
QuasiOdo
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well. More than a little ironic.
The poll should be adjusted asap.
Let justice be done!
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted in the poll, but didn't comment on my vote previously here. If we're listing up votes based on posts, I'd like to clarify that I voted to lift the ban on Rich.

If the staff decides to re-do the poll, may I suggest rewording the first option, which currently reads, "Bring him back, undo his ban." I think this wording could be a little confusing, as undoing his ban is different than bringing him back. As others have noted, undoing Rich's ban doesn't necessarily mean that he'll want to come back. To me, undoing his ban is undoing his ban, but bringing him back suggests courting him or trying to persuade him to return. For the sake of clarity, I'd say the poll choices should simply read, "Undo his ban" and "Keep him banned."
Hoggydo
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested by temponaut I have moved my reply to this post here for the sake of clarity! Exclamation

Hi Oldzey,

I voted to bring Rich back too but did not comment on it on the thread! To my mind, and it is only my opinion, someone who has done so much work towards creating a better replica blaster has got to recognised and given another chance! So you can add me to the list of genuine voters too please!

Regards

Paul.
Cottonball
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a newbie to this forum and to BR props in general. Consequently I was not around when all the hoopla over Rich transpired. As I've come up to speed on the hobby, though, Rich and the wealth of information he has made available has been invaluable to me. Rich also has graciously responded (quickly!) to a few email questions I sent his way. He's always seemed willing to share and help out, even when I quite naively asked him about a Sidkit blaster I saw on eBay. I say give the guy a chance and we may all benefit in the end. I voted "yes".

Eric
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always felt that much of Rich's worst behavior was because he was baited and egged on by a few detractors. I had given each of them warnings on their behavior as well. Last night I figured out that the two main detractors from back then have shared the same IP address more than once. What looked like a mob against Rich was mostly one person. At least that is what it looks like now.

If it turns out they are brothers or neighbors that share the same internet connection (or same computer even at the library), maybe this is wrong, but it is wrong no matter what by what has happened here. I hope we can it make it right now.

Andy
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to apologize if I've offended or put off anyone with my defense of Richard. People tend to stick up for people they know or who have done them a kindness, and that was my motivation. Rich, at times, seemed like that kid in school that other kids sometimes taunted knowing he'd react badly and get into trouble. I just wanted to help prevent undue baiting or taunting of him.

Clearly, he is a middle aged adult and able to fight his own fights. Like all of us, he has his flaws. My intent was only to show support for someone whose contributions to BR fans and collectors outweighed (IMHO) his real and/or perceived misconduct.

Almost everyone here has been respectful and has contributed to the collected knowledge of the Bladerunner universe. This site is probably the most harmonious of any of the entertainment collectable sites. If my personal opinions or posts have done anything to disrupt that harmony, I am sincerely sorry. There are probably things I should have either kept my mouth shut about, or posted privately via PM.

Noeland and Andy, et al, I thank you for your working to keep this site as fun and open as it is and I personally apologize to each of you for being part of the Coyle S***storm.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eltee,

As usual, you are too modest and your input and it's motivations are sincerely appreciated, and also completely in the spirit of this board.

Thank you,
Andy
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say I have known RAC the longest here. I knew him when he still had one foot in TV repair and the other foot into making TOS Trek props/kit build ups/modifying Kenner SW blasters/Beldorn/Amstutz etc back in the late '70's when he lived in Mesa.

I have tried to work with him repeatedly and it usually ends with him not honoring his end of the deal, not acknowledging my work on his product, and always denying any kind of wrong doing whatsoever...as if he never did anything wrong to anyone...ever. Honesty, in emails to me he would have me believe he never wronged anyone his whole life. Most recently is an incident over my Forbidden Planet Blaster end cap. I could list in detail regarding this recent incident and my years of trying to work with him but that is not for this thread.

I don't hate the guy and as a fellow model maker I have already made my opinions clear on the Sidkit matter.

Despite what has happened I voted that he should be allowed to return.

Amish, if you find this posting inflamatory please let me know and I would gladly edit it. Thanks.
Fangorn81
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I also was not here, or not paying attention at least, when Rich was banned, so may not be totally qualified to weigh in. But, I believe in giving people chances. Also, if we make a habit of banning people who have contributed so much to this hobby, there won't be much value in coming here anymore.

I voted to lift the ban, and hadn't felt it necessary to comment until I saw that not doing so may invalidate my opinion.

I also know nothing of the details surrounding the banning of the four others more recently, but I do know that two of them have been members for 2 years and one appears to have been heavily involved in creating one of the best replicas of Deckard's trench coat I have seen.

We may not all like each other and perhaps would not even be friends in the real world, but we all love Blade Runner, and if someone is adding to the hobby, I think we should take care before we wall them out.

Of course, I am not advocating tolerating childish, hateful, or otherwise offensive behavior. But I have seen more than one small forum turn into a ghost town because of petty things. I just want to make sure we are all clear headed. Which, from what I have seen in the comments seems to be the case, I just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Joah Mahan
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLK wrote:
I'd say I have known RAC the longest here. I knew him when he still had one foot in TV repair and the other foot into making TOS Trek props/kit build ups/modifying Kenner SW blasters/Beldorn/Amstutz etc back in the late '70's when he lived in Mesa.

I have tried to work with him repeatedly and it usually ends with him not honoring his end of the deal, not acknowledging my work on his product, and always denying any kind of wrong doing whatsoever...as if he never did anything wrong to anyone...ever. Honesty, in emails to me he would have me believe he never wronged anyone his whole life. Most recently is an incident over my Forbidden Planet Blaster end cap. I could list in detail regarding this recent incident and my years of trying to work with him but that is not for this thread.

I don't hate the guy and as a fellow model maker I have already made my opinions clear on the Sidkit matter.

Despite what has happened I voted that he should be allowed to return.

Amish, if you find this posting inflamatory please let me know and I would gladly edit it. Thanks.

Actually you have provided exactly the type of discourse we are looking for. Facts and experiences stated without hatred.

Rich does have his issues, and it would be wrong to sweep them under the rug. I know a lot of people that had issues with Rich mostly because he seemed to have an iconic and sacred status and was treated as a holy man. He is very human and flawed and new members especially need to keep that in mind.

Andy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eltee, as I've posted before I really enjoy chatting with you on these boards and others and I'm glad you're a member here.

SLK, you too. Glad you're here and I always enjoy your input and point of view. Sounds like you have some interesting stories.

Fangorn81, thanks for posting and voting. It's not a requirement that any member had to be here when Rich was banned to vote now, and your point of view is appreciated.

As Tom has said, banning someone isn't taken lightly around here, and it's usually done after a fair amount of discussion and back and forth amongst the mods.

I would like to say though, we don't really consider overall contributions to the hobby, or what kind of connections and or skills a member has when they start acting out. I understand the idea of "Rich has done so much for blaster fans, and he's worked in the industry" but for us we just have to set that a side when people become difficult for us.

It can certainly complicate things though, and it obviously affects opinion a great deal. But at the end of the day we try to be fair regardless of that stuff.

Hope that makes sense.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I voted to keep Coyle banned.

I would ask, what has changed? How has he demonstrated a new commitment to "playing nice"? Did I miss something?

Based on the Rich I have come to know, I say leave things alone.

Karl
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:
For the record I voted to keep Coyle banned.

I would ask, what has changed? How has he demonstrated a new commitment to "playing nice"? Did I miss something?

Based on the Rich I have come to know, I say leave things alone.

Karl

I am sorry to hear it Karl. Not surprised to hear it but still sorry to hear it.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you "not surprised" to hear it?
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted to let Rich back.The ban was stated to be temporary from the beginning and that was proper in my opinion.Rich could be difficult but he also was egged on and mocked beyond reason by some posters. I thought he was treated very unfairly in this thread when he wasn't even around to defend himself also.
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:
Why are you "not surprised" to hear it?

Karl,
Like I said, I have tried to work with him several times and won't do it again. I have heard things over the decades and since it was not my deal I stayed out of it. I know the guys who made his original website as well as a guy who worked for him in L.A. I could go on. I even met with his son Robert (with whom he's estranged for over 10 years last I heard) at a convention. All accounts seem to have a similar pattern.

So it doesn't surprise me to see you writing this way. I am sorry to see it. Hell, I just assume get along with everyone and wish they would get along with each other but it just doesn't happen.
I sent you a message on Facebook.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing i see your point.

I tried to reply on Facebook but got a "database error"... Sad

k
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: