Forum Index      Log in  Register
USCSS Nostromo - Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, SJ, Nostromo.

Funny, but when I ran that site those years ago, I had no idea how many lurkers there were out there who thrilled to Nostromo like I do.

I am glad to see that someone was reading it Very Happy
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Skin Job. Thanks for pointing out that video rarity. I missed it before. While poring over the rest of the stuff on Dennis Lowe's site, I noticed another pic of the blister/airlock.

On Page 1, it's the fourth picture (not counting the Alien hood ornament) right above the Narcissus model, showing the underside of an early Nostromo. At the far end of the model, in the middle of the photo, you can see the b/a complex on the 'first step', prior to the addition of the thruster package which obscured them later, I guess.

For convenience, here's the link to the page:

http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Alien.html
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY COW, you're right FenGid !!!

We had those great pics available many moons ago but never noticed this detail, can you believe that ???

Shocked

Fred
bizbazboz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are looking fantastic, put me down for 2 for definite Very Happy
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bizbazboz wrote:
These are looking fantastic, put me down for 2 for definite Very Happy

Thanks bizbazboz!
Not sure what's happening yet, whether I'll be offering them or Acme Archives, just waiting on a response from them, but as soon as I know more I'll post an update here!

Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:

We had those great pics available many moons ago but never noticed this detail, can you believe that ???

Shocked

Fred

Fred, look at my pics at the bottom of page 1 too, we can just about see the undercarriage doors there, partially obscured by the module that was place too far back on the ship! I've moved it forward a tad on the blueprints so it doesn't interfere with the landing leg at all.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
SKIN JOB 66 wrote:

Shocked

Fred

Fred, look at my pics at the bottom of page 1 too, we can just about see the undercarriage doors there, partially obscured by the module that was place too far back on the ship! I've moved it forward a tad on the blueprints so it doesn't interfere with the landing leg at all.

OK, that's official : MY MIND IS GOING...

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I join you Fred?...never saw the obvious in all those years Crying or Very sad
USCSS_Nostromo
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenGiddel86 wrote:
Thanks, SJ, Nostromo.

Funny, but when I ran that site those years ago, I had no idea how many lurkers there were out there who thrilled to Nostromo like I do.

I am glad to see that someone was reading it Very Happy

I didn't know there were so many fans of Nostromo out there when I took a liking to the ship. The ship is the unsung star of the movie (cool though the Alien creature is) in my opinion. Cool
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Can I join you Fred?...never saw the obvious in all those years Crying or Very sad

Well, I don't know if it was all that obvious, there is no viewport visible for the blister itself, and is kit-part cladding like on the rest of the model, and there were a few models at that... On my part it was a lucky guess.

Yeah there are quite a few Nostromo fans here, for me I love the modelmaking that went into it and the set design aesthetic too.
USCSS_Nostromo
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenGiddel86 wrote:
The location of the landing gear suggests to me that the ship was bow-heavy. (The Halcyon model kit requires nose-weighting, too.) Could the central hull between the outriggers house the ship's cavernous drive, explaining why the ship didn't promptly fall on its aft thrusters once it landed?

I always thought the ship looks a bit 'back-end heavy' (to put it politely!) and so there would have to be enough weight in the hull, and the outriggers to prevent it happening. Not very practical to fall on your backside on landing is it?! Shocked

Quote:
Since Nostromo towed the refinery, did Nostromo fulfil some mining function while planetside, either via prospecting equiipment, etc.? I always wondered, dramatic license aside, why the ship was so big...

On Planet Alien I read that the ship was originally a cargo ship, later refitted for towing large payloads. If it is like present-day sea-going ships then I would have thought it would dock, unload cargo/detach from the tow and then wait for its next cargo, either on a planet or in dry dock somewhere.

If the ship was refitted for towing, would that large docking module on its back have been a later addition, added to the ship during that refit? Or was it part of the original design?

Quote:
I've read that the starboard tube projecting from the face of the ship is a docking tube.

All the projections on the bow of the ship, including the docking tube thing and that big antenna look very vulnerable to impacts, such as running into meteor showers.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no meteor showers in this movie, so why not the appendages at the front?...and what the about the cockpit with all those windows?
USCSS_Nostromo
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
There's no meteor showers in this movie, so why not the appendages at the front?...and what the about the cockpit with all those windows?

No, but there's plenty of debris in space. I forgot about all that glass as well...maybe it's shatterproof glass. Shocked
Nothing wrong with the appendages, I like the appendages.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not to highjack this topic or anything, but knowing the many sexual images/analogies in Alien and the work of Giger, I think that those appendages are phallic in origin...but that's just me or my sick mind, one or the other
USCSS_Nostromo
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Well not to highjack this topic or anything, but knowing the many sexual images/analogies in Alien and the work of Giger, I think that those appendages are phallic in origin...but that's just me or my sick mind, one or the other

Shocked
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USCSS_Nostromo wrote:
joberg wrote:

Shocked

OK Jb, you're officialy sick !

Shocked

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the diagnostic...now I know why I was taking those damn blue pills Laughing
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: How NOSTROMO can get away with its looks.. Reply with quote

I always thought that, being that in the ALIEN universe, artificial gravity exists onboard. Granted, this is a convenience for filmmakers so they won't have to spend money depicting zero G environments, but taking this into account, AG is going to be used for more than just a human to have the ability to walk down a corridor.

With AG generators, a ship would be able to create a gravity "shield" so to speak, as well as a magnetosphere to protect it from micro-meteorites as well as any other mundane outer space issues such as radiation and running through clouds of hydrogen (or other elemental) particles. I still think that the front antennae would need to be shortened or taken off for a more realistic Nostromo (being that it would be torn off on landing or take-offs due to wind shear), but with something like a gravity shield a space vessel could be any shape without having to worry about aerodynamics.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think years ago when I first looked at the Nostromo I wasn't sure if the front tube was a docking tube or some kind of big refueling tube like what one finds on the front of a bomber aircraft.

I like the idea of the shielding and gravity generators; maybe there is a charged layer as part of the hull construction that acts as an envelope so everything within has gravity, and another layer that acts as a repelant for any small scale space debris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 16 of 39

Jump to: