FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Patrolman's Issue PKD

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Patrolman's Issue PKD Reply with quote

I finally got around to putting the finish on that stunt casting that was offered here a while ago. After I chopped off the butt-ugly hunk of resin at the bottom of the casting, I plugged the hole by cutting a piece of styrene to shape and gluing it flush with the bottom of the buttplate.

Since I didn't feel like trying to simulate a worldcon finish on this blaster, I decided to go with a basic paint scheme. After priming it I gave it a couple of coats of sliver paint and let it cure for a week, then I hit it with a coat of flat black until it was totally black. When that dried I gave it a thorough wet sanding until the finish was smooth and some of the black had worn off or down in spots and allowed some of the silver to show through.

Finally I rubbed down everything but the grips with graphite applied to a small piece of leather, then gave it a light spray of clear coat to seal the graphite. The clear coat really took the shine down on the graphite, but not as bad as I was afraid it would. Overall I think it cleaned up nicely. Enjoy.

If i get more free time later I might try to do simulated wood grips for it. This particular casting had almost no separation between the grips and the grip frame on the front of it so I just sanded down what was left of the lines and went for the Hogue wrap around style grips. I'd love to get some of that paint that dries to a rubberized texture and hit the grips with it, but I haven't been able to find any around here.

For a while I was half tempted by the notion of chopping about 3/4 of an inch off the middle of the gun and converting it into a snub, but I ultimately decided against it.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is basically what most of the stunts were used as, for the police extras. Some of them had the grips painted to look like the amber grips, but looked more like a wood grain. I love the all black look myself. I got a set of black rubber grips from Rich Coyle for his version of the stunt.

Looking very cool.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! I love the sobre black/used look of a standard weapon Cool
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work on that.
Love the black aswell Smile
Chronos
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing the details of your finishing technique with us, too.

andy wrote:
I love the all black look myself. I got a set of black rubber grips from Rich Coyle for his version of the stunt.

I have a set of black rubber grips from Siderio and have them displayed on his bare metal Blaster (not even built, just loosely assembled, "as received"). I like the contrast of the black and silver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: