FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Off World Blaster Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorian Gray
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Off World Blaster Question Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to the BR blaster scene and I have a question about the Off World Blaster. I've noticed majority of the people on this forum have taken this blaster and completely stripped it. Also replacing a lot of the parts with metal ones. My question is, Is it worth it to buy one if you're going to be scraping most of it?

Thanks!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved this from the "BR Aesthetic" section because that is for things unrelated to Blade Runner, but have a similar look and feel, and are non-props. Props can go in the first Replica prop area, and gun props that are talking about looking like the Worldcon Photos go in the second section. Though we may organize it more neatly by making the second section just about the guns.

As far as your question, as long as you can pick up the Offworld around it's original price of $250, it will cost you a lot less than any metal kit, and around the same as any resin kit. If you want total accuracy though, it is not worth picking up. I find their purpose is best as a durable costuming gun that lights up, and needs only minimal work to make look more authentic. beyond that its appeal is somewhat limited by size, accuracy, and lack of metal parts (and therefore weight).

So in ther end it depends on exactly you want from the gun if it is worth it for you or not.

Andy
Dorian Gray
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy! Sorry I spent 15 min trying to decide where I should post my question lol sorry.
Michael
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an off world earlier this year from ebay.

I think Andy is right, it's Ok, and the new model seems relatively accurate, but its mostly plastic so its really light.

Probably the biggest problem for me is the grip is really small. I'm about 6' and I don't think my hands are freakishly large or anything but I cannot comfortably get all my fingers on the grip. Before I bought mine I saw this comment from someone else and thought "how bad can it be" well it's bad enough I think about it every time I pick the thing up, it's just annoying.

That said, it's still pretty cool.
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the receiver is available from offworld but where do people get the metal barrels, buttplate, slides etc.?
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly supply the metal parts and there are many others here who also offer excellent quality parts Mspaw and JT for two , in relation to the Offword , you do need a proper sized outer grip handle , custom grips , metal trigger guard , barrel , etc mostly to add weight and 'heft' to the gun , in its present state, it's much too light - even after buying the 'new' replacement upper receiver ( which still has the spelling issue) as Andy says its a good gun as far as it goes , anything you add to it will be a benefit!
DonParker
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also made Bolts, Buttplates and Barrels
for some members here.

Don
FusedNova

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the barrel, bolt, and butt plate from Don - worked out really well on the latest OffWorld though the parts were designed (I think) for previous versions. I needed to scuff it up a bit though before using a bluing solution.

You can check it out in the Prop Shop - http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=2325

DonParker wrote:
I've also made Bolts, Buttplates and Barrels
for some members here.

Don
ocd
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am "New" here,... But.

My two cents. Bonafides=20+yrs plus as Illustrator/Graphic Designer /Art Director.

Yes the Offworld has a "short" handle and if you are 6ft or taller Your hands are to large for it. My brother is 6-3 and he complains EVERY time he picks it up.

On the other HAND, I have smaller hands and IT FITS just fine.

I've compared it to the World-Com photo's and yes there are some differences. These ARE EASILY corrected.

I have 2 Offworlds, a MIM and a Rick Ross Stunt cast (that I had to completely re work-NOT RICKS FAULT- just a really crappy cast by some one else).

YES a racprops worldcom version would be AWSOME but I can not afford it. SO,..

You HAVE to add weight to it or it feels like a toy. I have a few real hand guns to compare it with so,..

http://propsummit.com/upload/949/2019ofwd_r3_4th.jpg
http://propsummit.com/upload/949/2019rside.jpg
http://propsummit.com/upload/949/img_0218.jpg
http://propsummit.com/upload/949/buttplate_bottom.jpg
http://propsummit.com/upload/949/butplate_decal_a.jpg
Tools you need:

Super glue, 10-12 oz of fishing (I recommend the Bullet Variety and round) the weights, and a paper towel.

Some things to consider. The frame is NOT made to support the extra weight and MIGHT crack. (and HOW do I Know this you ask? This happened on the 2019C version of the Offworld)

Were to put the lead.

1). Down the barrel.
If you disassemble the blaster first it is easier but NOT necessary. Open the chamber and place the paper towel to cover the opening from the barrel. You do NOT want any supper glue to get in to the inner chamber. I like the really thick super glue as it doesn't go any were but were you place it. Take 3-4 lead weights (Bullet Variety) and insert them in the barrel until it is full (just inside of the screw threw the bottom of the barrel)
You want to supper glue them so they do not rattle. Leave an inch from the end and you wont see them down the barrel. if you do a little black paint covers them nicely.

2). In the battery chamber roof against the bottom of the barrel. 4-6 (round) wights will glue up on the insides curved walls with out hitting the barrel so when you want to disassemble it you can. DO NOT GLUE THEM TO THE BARREL.

http://propsummit.com/upload/949/weghtsin_battery_2.jpg

3). In the Butt plate. 4 lead weights will fit snugly WITHOUT glue if you use the Bullet Variety. This is a snug fit so no rattle.

http://propsummit.com/upload/949/wieghtbuttplate.jpg

The finished blaster should weight about the same as a full size 1911A1 hand gun. Mine does.

Of the two Offworld blasters the first version seems to be the sturdier of the two. The 2019C cracked along the frame were the indent for your finger on the R side. A SupperGlue "weld" took care of it. with the handle in place you can't see it. It held up to my 10 yr old playing blade runner all afternoon until I found out when I got home from work. But he added some realistic "wear & tear' so I can't complain too much.

FYI I have NO relation with Offworld other than I like their blasters.

On another note, they also have the issue of the bolt cut out of the receiver being thinner on the first version and the spelling error. Altho I'm inclined to think that it MIGHT not be an "error" as it could be argued they are not looking for a copyright fight with STEYR and the "TYPO" negates that.

Also I'm NOT looking to pick a fight about Offworld blasters. I'm just seeing a lot of comments nocking them.

NO they are NOT perfect. Yes they are "lose" when you get them. Yes there are improvements that can be made. But isn't that what this hobby is about?

Just say'n.

p.s.
best regards to every one, there are A whole bunch of REALLY AWSOME Blade Runner info here.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ocd. It sounds like you will fit in just fine here. Especially with a name like ocd.

Andy
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Offworld.It was my first blaster.I like to think of it as the BR pistol in a smaller caliber.I'm 6 feet and it fits my hand fine.
PS I'm very glad a trade deal I had for it fell through and I kept it.My Coyle Worldcon is beautiful but I'm afraid to play with it. Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ocd...good tricks all in all to fix that gun (helps with Don parts too)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: