FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Avatar GS-221 CARB rifle WIP Reply with quote

Having access to my Dad's workshop for a few weeks I decided to take a crack at building one of the CARB rifles from Avatar. After finding a few excellent reference images at Weta's site, I worked up several line diagrams that would be used as templates. After looking over the images I gathered, I decided to build the PDW variant that Quaritch uses to fire on the chopper during the escape. Mostly because I wasn't sure I could fabricate the long rifle barrel with three rails on it, and the few airsoft M4 foregrips that were based on a similar design cost a bit more than I wanted to spend.

The original idea I had was to build it up from several sheets of MDF and sand the contours into shape. However after the first few rough cuts of the base sections, it was clear that going that route would make this thing weigh a ton. So, I decided to use a piece of pine for the base of the rifle, and build up the outer details using thin sheets of MDF. This also meant having to fabricate a trigger and mount it into the base frame.

This worked much better as far as keeping the weight managable, as it now weighs only about as much as an airsoft P-90 I have. However going this route made it impossible to build the front barrel and LAM unit as pictured in the reference images, so I had to take some artistic license with the design of the LAM while staying as close to form as possible.

I was originally going to make this with the magazine being removable, but decided to keep it simple for a first run. Not having access to a router, I opted to omit the ejection port on the right side of the frame and stick with the original concept of it being a caseless rifle. I might mock up an unopened magazine and a couple dummy rounds for display once I'm done with the rifle. One thing's for sure, having a band saw or a scroll saw would've made this project a hell of a lot easier.

First test fit of the cut parts after some rough shaping of the base part

The external detail layers have been bonded to the base and a boat load of sanding to smooth out the shapes. Some filler has been added to smooth out some areas and fill in a few gaps. The barrel and LAM have been test fitted but wont be attached until after the base coat of painting has been done.

Tomorrow I'll hit it with a coat of primer and see what still needs some smoothing. There are still a couple of small detail pieces that need to be fabricated and attached, then it's on to the painting process. Once that's done, I'll be attaching the top rail, the bottom rail, and vertical foregrip. I'll also be repurposing the selector switches from an old MP5 airsoft I have. But that'll come later.

More to come ...

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good build here! Love it already Cool
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial primer coat and filler has been applied. I've attached a few of the detail pieces. Gonna give it another coat of primer, then on to painting it. Still not sure how I'm going to do the manufacturer's markings yet.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work: it's coming along well!
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parts have been given their base coat, and test fitted again. The fire selector markings were done using two small patches of white and red spray paint. Once those patches were dry, vinyl transfer lettering was put down to mask them off, then the main color was applied.

The main body was painted in a dark green using Krylon's camouflage paint. Oddly enough the flash on my phone camera seems to have turned it into a psuedo Bess Brown here.

After wet sanding I caught a break as the wet sanding left a bit of a grimed look to the parts. The Matanza Arms logo proved too finicky to get a stencil cut, so I cut white vinyl sheet down into the required size then added the lettering using the same transfer letters I used for the fire selector markings.

I'm currently debating whether or not to add more grime and weathering to the body. I think the logo's a bit too clean looking at the moment. There's still a few detail pieces to be added before the final clear coat and assembly. The magazine box graphics are still in the printing process and should be here in a few days.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' mighty good from where I stand from Cool ...the stencil is good too.
As for making it more "used" it's up to you, but usually the markings (letters and squares) would be slightly faded and not as sharp as you have them now Wink . That's why I always spray a few coat of silver paint before my main colour, so as to gently remove the main one, either with acetone or paint remover (your green for example), to come back to the silver showing the wear and tear on parts constantly handled, touched or rubbed on.
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, too cool!
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought about going the route of putting down silver then painting over it, but from what I was able to gather about this gun, the main body seems to be some kind of composite plastic like they use on the AUG or P-90. So I decided to omit the silver undercoat.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the paint work, so I don't think I'm going to go overboard on weathering it. This is after all, not the proverbial AK-47 that someone took a dump into the breach and then buried in the sand for two months to prove it would still fire after that kind of abuse. Wink

I gave the markings a little going over with a sponge and some dark ink wash, that seems to have toned down the uber-whiteness of it somewhat. Unfortunately my phone flash tends to wash it out.

No flash

Worse comes to worse, I'll have to look into getting the logo done as a screen print or a decal and doing it that way. The initial tests I did using a stencil, the small grid between the squares let way too much paint get under it.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the type of "plastic" they used...some can show some wear and tear: let's say that you have a solid dark green colour, you'll have to spray a first coat with a lighter green colour and then the solid one after. I've seen some weapons, specially the but of rifles for example that are a little lighter where rubbed constantly on clothes or other solid objects...maybe next time:-)
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts arrived today. Unfortunately they were out of stock on the MP5 selector switches so those'll have to wait. This project's taking way longer than projected lol but I've enjoyed it.

Here I've placed the top rails and the cocking/unloading dial to get a sense of how they'll look on the finished piece. Tomorrow I'll be bolting them onto the frame. I've had more than one experience that ended with a guest holding a piece of prop in their hand because they had to see if it moved

The vinyl stickers I ordered for the magazine graphics were cut to match the angle of the frame and then applied. I'm very pleased with their quality. I've decided to have a set made with the Matanza Arms logo in the proper color, so I'll be spending some time lifting the current set off the frame, hopefully it wont lift any of the paint under it. But if it does, it looks like I'll get a chance to try joberg's technique with the lighter color paint under the darker coat

Here's the graphic for the magazine box. I didn't have a lot to work with in terms of reference, but working off the original concept illustrations I was able to reproduce the loading diagram. I also restored the 'e-ink' ammo counter on the bottom of the graphic. The rest of the text was made up using existing ammunition markings as a jump off point in creating these.

more as it develops...

The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top and bottom rails have been installed, the cocking wheel has also been installed. The only things that still need doing are the selector switches and the revised logo. Otherwise I'd say it's pretty much complete as far as construction goes. Time to track down an appropriate looking red dot scope for the top rail. I might also try the flip sights off my MP7 airsoft to see how they look on the top rail.

Rails installed

Barrel details

Knight Armaments vertical grip attached to lower rail

steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice! Very Happy
DonParker
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome!

Don
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totaly awesome work, BRAVO !!!

Cool

Fred
RedArc
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work !

This rifle would deserve an Blaster Core v3 ^^

awesome prop

congrats
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent effects here! It's looking very professional and real.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! this project's been a long stretch of work.

Mocked up a magazine today. I was originally going to go with an unopened box so you could see the physical pull tab like on the loading diagram, but I figured that would be kind of boring to look at. So after a bit of research I decided to show the magazine with it's loading port.

I figured since this weapon is using caseless ammunition, and the ammo count per magazine is 80 rounds, how would those rounds be loaded into the magazine. Since the round is listed as being 6.2x35mm, it seemed like there would be too much wasted space inside the mag if they were loaded in standard double column, not to mention the square shape of the caseless round itself. After looking at how the FN-P90 magazine works, I decided to go with that same set up, where the rounds are loaded horizontally and a curved internal ramp rotates each round into position before it's loaded into the breech.

FN P90 Magazine loading port:

A bit of rummaging through the spare parts bin came up with a few pieces that could be used to simulate the loading port like on the P90. After that it was a matter of fabricating the caseless round (boy that was a serious pain to get looking right).

Magazine ready to be inserted into weapon:

Top loading port detail:

The caseless round itself:

I left the caseless round detachable for now, on the off chance I get the ambition to rework a new magazine that has a clear plastic top so you can see the rounds inside it. No way am I carving a bunch of those rounds lol.

BTW, what exactly is a Blaster Core v3?

steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the feed system on the G11 caseless rifle.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember looking at that feed system as well. Hellishly complex on the internals. The mag itself looks to be extremely thin on the G11.

steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually quite simple,even though it was designed by Germans! :DThe rounds are pointed nose down and feed from above,the turntable is verticle rather than horizontal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Non Blade Runner Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: