FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Car 54 Rescue

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Car 54 Rescue Reply with quote

Initially, I made a joke about resurrecting the hero Spinner (54) destroyed at MGM Dworld, but it occured to me that such a thing might be possible if it could be located and the destruction were not too hopeless.

Just a thought.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Walt Disney Corp. has a bad record of keeping props and sets (plenty of them are now rotting away in the Florida sun and humidity) it's very unlikely that you'd find anything left of that Spinner.
Also, even if you had the money to restore what's left of it, W.D.C. has the habit of not accepting any request to buy off props, pieces of sets by individuals/fans, etc...but at an auction. I could go on and on about them, but it'll become a rant real fast. Confused

P.S. Some of the discussion on the RPF (The Rocketeer topic to just name one) is very interesting on how the Corp deals with film props/sets.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering it has been tucked away safe in a landfill (we believe) somewhere out there for the past 12 years, who can say what may have survived.

It is also interesting to note that not one piece of the Spinner has shown up anywhere, including at auction. You would think that a hubcap or body panel would have shown up on eby at least. Not the tiniest sliver has surfaced.

The mystery deepens.
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestingly enough, i remember during my late-teen and college years that the Back to the Future (spinner) was mounted just outside the Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios in Orlando. you know - the ride designed by none other than Douglass Trumbull?

i also remember a publicity stunt by, i think, Warner Bros - a couple of years back where you could win the 'BttF' De Lorean in a drawing. i obviously did not win but wonder if this has any connection? obviously not a close follower of the 54 model's whereabouts - but i sure do remember seeing that re-purposed spinner within arms reach every time i went on that ride.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bladezone article has the back-up model referred to as '54' and says it ended up in Japan. I've always been very curious about this one. Were there ever any updates on it's whereabouts?
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

54 was the hero Spinner which was on the MGM Disny backlot. 44 was the flyer now in Seattle. 37 was the backup/street traffic Spinner which may have ended up in Japan.

To add to the confusion, 54 was repainted and displayed as 44 after BttF II. It was the yellow Spider Car in BttF II. 37 was the black street Spinner in BttF II.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Blade Zone article with Bryan's and Gary's research on the fate of the vehicles...

http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/spinner_today/spinner_today.php

and the rest of BZ's articles on it...
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/spinner/
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/spinner2/flight_of_fantasy.php
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/spinner3/spinner_rising.php
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/lostandfound/spinner_and_sedan/spinner_and_sedan.php

Andy
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masao wrote:
54 was the hero Spinner which was on the MGM Disny backlot. 44 was the flyer now in Seattle. 37 was the backup/street traffic Spinner which may have ended up in Japan.

To add to the confusion, 54 was repainted and displayed as 44 after BttF II. It was the yellow Spider Car in BttF II. 37 was the black street Spinner in BttF II.

Good grief! Thanks for the update, mate. Truly depressing what happened at Disney.
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late '90's I knew a guy who saw one in Florida. He had just got back and showed me a blue paint flake that he had in a plastic film container. He showed it to me and offhand I didn't know what it was. He said the spinner he saw was outside exposed to the elements and the paint was peeling off. The spinner was roped off but nobody was watching it so he went and picked one of the flakes that had already come off and fallen to the ground.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of the Spinner shot you can see clearly the Gyro plane used in the Rocketeer (right hand side)...it's still there as well as the GeeBee but in bad shape to say the least Crying or Very sad

Sorry for the highjack Wink but it's to show that Disney doesn't care about their props in general.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: