FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Ripley's (one) Engineering scene Jacket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Ripley's (one) Engineering scene Jacket Reply with quote

Yall,
I watched "Alien" for the zillionth time since 1979, last night. Having the advantage of having been a Russian History college student; and the additional advantage of Reenacting as a World War 2 Soviet Red Army
soldier, I found Ripley's jacket in that scene was instantly recognizable. Basically it's a slightly modified Soviet Russian "telogreika" ('body warmer') jacket, with the addition of Nostromo Officers' patches on the upper sleeves/shoulders; and I THINK the iron-on NOSTROMO lettering on the back (I'll have to re-watch the scene again this weekend). Also the usual m1943 telogreika back, half-belt seems to have been removed.
Guess what my next Alien prop project is LOL??? Cool
Randall C.
"BR26354"
PS--apologies if yall already discovered & posted this information!
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That the Abbyshot Deckard v.2?

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they're all Indy Magnoli replicas.
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of an Original m1940 helmet, an m1943 "gymnastyorka" shirt under the m1943 "telogreika" jacket, as worn by the Red Army of Workers and Peasants from 1943 to 8 May 1945. The type of jacket, which the post-war Soviet Army used until the 1970s or so, is not that hard to find in Western sized bodies' fit. Also a couple of reenacting militaria vendors produce and sell the m1943 telogreika, in larger-than-Soviet personnel sizes.
Randall C.[/img]
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good project Randall; pics will be appreciated for the final look of that jacket Wink
Mike Rush
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is Randall's profile picture enormous? Confused

"We're not heroes - we're from Finchley"
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the pic Mike Confused
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Good project Randall; pics will be appreciated for the final look of that jacket Wink

Thank you! I should have the photos of the completed project up, by early February. (Yes my profile pic IS way too large; working to correct that Rolling Eyes )
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, also, Lambert wears a dark-green telogreika in the scenes from when Parker and Lambert rescue Ripley from Ash, until Lambert dies. Neither Ripley's tan jacket, nor Lambert's dark-green jacket, appear to have the NOSTROMO lettering on the backs.

BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm; ok this is a bit more involved than removing the normal telogreika half-belt and sewing on quality Weylan Yutani wings, and Nostromo Officers' patches. The first photo below shows WW2 Russian civilians wearing m1941 (with collar), and m1943 (WITHOUT collar), telogreika jackets. The second image is Veronica Cartwright's jacket: note the added lateral machine-sewn stitching.

So, definitely for me, it will be into early Febrauary 2011 to complete, and photograph, this Prop endeavor.
"BR26354"

PS--Lambert wears the Jacket from Kane's Funeral, until her demise; this corrects my earlier posting Razz
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the two pics, I fail to see the similatities between the two jackets: it seems that the square on Cartwright's are bigger...if you look at the old pic, and put horizontal stitching you'll end up with smaller squares.
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Comparing the two pics, I fail to see the similatities between the two jackets: it seems that the square on Cartwright's are bigger...if you look at the old pic, and put horizontal stitching you'll end up with smaller squares.

joberg--the civilians in the WW2 are wearing heavily batted, WW2 era material jackets. The postwar telogreikas (such as the late 1960s one that I own), were of thinner padding. And the ones which John Mollo had (probably?) made from scratch, for Alien, were similarly of thinner material. Also the vertical stitching is closer together on the Alien crew jackets, than the thicker-padded WW2 Soviet jackets.

John Mollo and his younger brother Andrew, have written several books between them on Imperial Russian and Soviet Russian uniforms and military history; most of these were written when the Cold War was in full tilt. Because of the Cold War, also, it is unlikely that even 1960s or 1970s era-produced telogreikas were readily available for the Alien film production. However, the Mollo brothers (John, Boris, Andrew) really know their Russian military stuff, surprisingly (or perhaps admirably) making few wrong guesses from Period Photographs, most in black and white, on the subject. This is proven by their post-Cold War books, and the writings of other military Historians post-1991. My long-winded point is that I, knowing the Historical background of John Mollo; and having owned a 1960s era telogreika for a decade, am sure that the modified jackets used for the Alien costumes, were based on these Russian and Soviet jackets. But I appreciate your, and others' input! I don't pretend to have the depth of knowledge of Alien, and Blade Runner, props and costumes that many on this Forum do.
At any rate, by February I should have the Ripley jacket complete; and I will post several "before" and "after", multi-angle pics for yall's viewing and opinions. Again, I do greatly appreciate my neophyte standing in creating props and such. And input is not only welcome, but needed by myself from Forum members.
cheers,
Randall
PS--oh btw, Russian and early Soviet greatcoats and gear make "blink or miss them" appearances on some crowd members, when Deckard is chasing down Zhora, to retire her. Again, my apologies if this has already been pointed out befeore.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed your pics for you to make them easier to see without linking to a new page.

I would have to say, there are a few small similarities, but the stitching makes it pretty likely that these are two different items. You would not only have to had the stitching horizontally put in, but the vertical stitching taken out. I find that very unlikely. I have also seen jackets like the Lambert one elsewhere, and think it just might just be a liner, or similar use jacket.

I am going to check both movies out though to see if I can see that Russian jacket, because it is pretty intriguing. It certainly fits into both universes in style, and look.

Andy
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Lambert Jacket Reply with quote

BR26354,

Just incase you hadn't seen them. But maybe you have. In the thread Nostromo Jacket (and other Thinking Cap Co. Patches etc) there are some pictures of the lambert Jacket.

Colin
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lambert Jacket Reply with quote

8th_Passenger wrote:
BR26354,

Just incase you hadn't seen them. But maybe you have. In the thread Nostromo Jacket (and other Thinking Cap Co. Patches etc) there are some pictures of the lambert Jacket.

Colin

Colin, THANK YOU ! I didn't see those pics before.
Randall
"BR26354"
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked, with great interest, at the photos of Lambert's jacket. Indeed, there are differences, as well as similarities, between the Soviet era jackets that I own, or have seen in person, and the Screen used costume. Of particular, curious interest to me, is the white, with red number "2" tag on the inside collar. It is eerily similar to a Soviet Bloc size tag for "POCT 2" ('Rost' 2=Size 2); I guess either John Mollo had that added when the jacket was scratch-tailored for the movie; or less likely, it IS a heavily-modified genuine Soviet Bloc item. Hmmmmmm.
Thanks again, Colin, for pointing those pics out to me; and of course to the individual who posted those pictures in the first place on this forum.
Randall
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the Cold War Era had a great influence on the military surpluses in Europe (I'm originally from Brussels, Belgium) and I remember clearly that a lot of collectors had Soviet uniforms from various era stuffed in those surplus stores...I'm sure that the U.K. was not much different, hence the find uniforms used in Alien/BR come from the same source (American flight jackets, flight suits, Soviet coats/undercoats, etc...) all transformed (or not)to suit the "look" of the movies (removing sleeves, adding/removing lacing, badges, etc).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: