FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BR wall tiles.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in the structural and seismic strength of the Textile Block system there is an interesting technical study titled “The textile block system: seismic analysis and upgrading” by A. P. Vargas & G. G. Schierle of the USC School of Architecture, Los Angeles, CA, USA. It was published in: Structural Studies, Repairs and Maintenance of Heritage Architecture X 645; WIT Transactions on The Built Environment, Vol 95, © 2007 WIT Press; www.witpress.com, ISSN 1743-3509 (on-line)

This rather short report can be downloaded for free at the above URL, but you do have to register to do so. I did, and excerpted the following:

“The textile block system is a unique structural system created by Frank Lloyd Wright in the early 1920s, before any seismic regulations existed in California. The first four houses, all located in California, have been deteriorating severely due to seismic and environmental effects.”

“This paper aims to analyze and upgrade with an affordable and non destructive method the Freeman House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1924, as a case study for testing the textile block structural system, and compare that system with those used in three other textile block system houses, the Millard, Storer and Ennis-Brown Houses.”

“There are three basic assumptions in the analysis of the original Freeman House. Firstly, it is assumed that the walls act as ordinary reinforced masonry, according to the IBC 2003. This masonry is weak in shear walls.”

“The walls are 8" thick, with one inch of hollow space. Therefore, for calculation purposes, they are assumed to be 7" thick. The original rebars are ineffective as reinforcement for the structure.”

Luckily, those at this forum who are interested in duplicating these tiles do so for use as a decorative appliqué. So the structural defects are only of academic interest.

Tony
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony...read the report a few months ago. Interesting paper to be sure. Some experts are still discussing the woven structures of these series of "Block Houses" built by FLLW and the wear and tear they incurred during the various earthquakes (also the pollution hasn't help the quality of the cement and the blocks are showing deterioration because of it) and the fact that a lot of professionals engineers always doubted FLLW's calculation in terms of load, structural forces, etc. (see the report they did on Falling Water and the recent repairs done on the cantilever balcony). Just a word for the people here trying to do an entire wall with those tile: you'll have to ire an expert to see if your interior wall (depending on the size of course) is made to bear the additional load (if you choose to make these tiles out of a heavy material...plaster for example) I have a 16x16 inches plaster tile and its weight is about 5 pounds.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of tiles for sale on the rpf right now.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This original prop tile, sold by Screenused.com a few years back, seems to be the opposite configuration to the ones in Deckards apartment.

Was it made up for the film but then never used, perhaps?

Is the photo flipped? (can't see why)

From the blurb:

When filming was completed and the set was torn down, all of the panels were to be destroyed, but a few were rescued by crew member such as this one. We have yet to see another panel (though we understand there is at least one other in another collection) - please let us know if you are aware of another.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong tile: the deep groove at the right hand side of this tile should be at the top. Beware: not a screen used tile Evil or Very Mad There's enough pics out-there from the movie for people to see clearly the design used in Deck's apt. People from the production took plaster molds of the real deal: Ennis house in L.A. and made either vac-formed or fiberglass tiles.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Wrong tile: the deep groove at the right hand side of this tile should be at the top. Beware: not a screen used tile Evil or Very Mad There's enough pics out-there from the movie for people to see clearly the design used in Deck's apt. People from the production took plaster molds of the real deal: Ennis house in L.A. and made either vac-formed or fiberglass tiles.

It looks like a cast of one of the Ennis house replica tiles (they sold the 'mirror image' versions used in the house).

Heres the link to the Screenused site - the tile is bottom right of this page.

http://tinyurl.com/66z6b72
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I explained before: the tile has a few features that makes it difficult to have a mirror image of it (let's say by simply rotating the tile)

First: the small square is at the bottom left-hand side and the deep groove is at the top of the tile (original design).

Second: to do a mirror image of this design you have to re-create an entire new tile (small square at the right- hand side with the deep groove still at the top of the tile as to respect the original design (you'll see those inside Ennis house).

Third: at Ennis house, FLLW also rotated tiles on the facade so now you have the small square at the right hand side and the deep groove at the left-hand side.

Fourth: the design used on the set of BR was off the original design: small square at the bottom left-hand side and deep groove at the top of the tile.

I haven't seen any rotated tiles in the movie (then again, I could've missed something and somebody will come up with a screen cap showing that I'm wrong Wink ).
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:

Second: to do a mirror image of this design you have to re-create an entire new tile (small square at the right- hand side with the deep groove still at the top of the tile as to respect the original design (you'll see those inside Ennis house).

Yeah, thats what I meant. I wonder whether Screenused were hoodwinked or were being a bit devious themselves?
It'd be interesting to see what the authentication actually says.
This 'reverse' design they are selling is nowhere in the movie as you say.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how many movies and TV shows these tiles were used in, they probably came from a prop house and were just assumed to be Blade Runner. They look vintage though. The ones in BR look painted and rougher edged, not Vac Formed in the faux stone sheet. I agree that this one was probably not used in BR.

Andy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't the ones in the film done using styrofoam? I could swear I remember reading something about that in Future Noir.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if those in the film were either vac-formed, or they used a silicone mold and expanding foam (whatever is faster/cheaper for the production). There's a lot of techniques that you could use to make those and, I would think that, at least for the flat tiles in the apt. they would've used med density styrofoam and used either straight spray-paint or acetone to give a "distress" stone-kind-of-look to those (regular spray or acetone eats the foam and can make for interesting weathering look).
If you look closely at the prod-pics, you'll see that the more intricate tiles are generaly without holes or frayed edges, while the flat ones have some holes and are, generally in a more "used" state Wink
disneytoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I just found this site. I love these blocks. My uncle was a location manager, And I got to go and take pics in the house when he was scouting. I purchased 2 tiles at the house so I believe they came from the tin molds on display.

The blocks do not hold up very well. The exterior of the house was in quite disrepair. Significantly smaller than you'd imagine. But there is a very long hallway with nice windows. I'll post some pics of my blocks if anyone likes. They are VERY heavy.

Max
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Max...yeah we love pics and stories about the movie from people/professionals who worked for the production Wink
Dorian Gray
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised there isnt a pepakura file out there yet.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Dorian, considering that there's Pepakura for just about anything these days (Iron Man is an example) it would be fairly simple to make one.
Dorian Gray
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to see what I can do. I'll try to reach out to my pepakura friends for some assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Aesthetic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: