FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Johnnie Walker Ad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Johnnie Walker Ad Reply with quote

Saw this posted on the RPF.
Very impressive.

Johnnie Walker Ad

Neil
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..as always...Robert Carlyle...rocks...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Neil...very impressive indeed: wow is much better and Robert Carlyle is...what can I say, words cannot express my admiration for that very fine actor Cool
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very talented actor.

Neil
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool ad... but here's a bit of reality about Johnnie Walker:

"The company joined Distillers Company in 1925. Distillers was acquired by Guinness in 1986, and Guinness merged with Grand Metropolitan to form Diageo in 1997. On 1 July 2009, Bryan Donaghey, Diageo Managing Director for Global Supply Scotland, announced that Diageo intended to cease production at the historic plant in Kilmarnock, Scotland. Under a restructuring programme across Scotland, production would be moved from the brand's original home to Diageo plants in Leven, Fife and Shieldhall, Glasgow. The Johnnie Walker plant, the largest employer in the town of Kilmarnock, is intended to close its doors by the end of 2011.

News of the planned closure has had widespread media attention and condemnation from MPs, celebrities, and townsfolk of Kilmarnock alike and savvy whisky drinkers all around the world. Following the decision, a public campaign was waged to try to persuade Diageo to reverse this decision. However on 9 September 2009 Diageo stated that they intended to press ahead with the move away from Kilmarnock and that the matter was "closed"."

So if you want to get any Johnie Walker that was produced in Kilmarnock, you'd better do so now, because at the end of the year it'll all be gone.

scoffman

Oh, and I forgot to mention... this is why a lot of aficionados don't trust blended whisky to begin with: "A blended whisky (or whiskey) is the product of blending different types of whiskies and often also neutral and near-neutral spirits, coloring, and flavorings. It is generally the product of mixing one or more higher quality straight or single malt whiskies with higher-alcohol-content spirits or neutral grain spirits (and water)."

So that basically means with a lot of blended 'scotches' or 'whiskys' what you are really getting is a single malt that has been blended with vodka or everclear (151 or 190 proof, depending on the state in the US) and has had food coloring and flavoring added to it.

In most cases there is NO legislation that requires any sort of ingredients list on the bottle. As a matter of fact, "In Scotland, when a blended whisky includes an age statement, each individual spirit in the mix must be at least as old as the age listed. However, in the United States, the age statement only refers to the minimum age of the straight whiskey used within the blend (which must comprise at least 20% of the content). Most blended whiskeys do not list an age, although the regulations governing its production in some countries specify a minimum aging requirement. Canadian, Scottish, and Irish whiskey must all be aged at least three years. American regulations do not have a minimum aging time requirement for blended whiskey, although a minimum of two years is established for "straight" American whiskey, and blended American whiskey must contain at least 20% straight whisky.

I don't know what the European laws are regarding this, but it just makes my head swim. I do appreciate that Canadian, Scottish, and Irish whiskey must all be aged at least three years, but what's done with it past that point is anyone's guess. I'll stick with my single malts, thank you very much.
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my limited experience....I'm 65....you get what you pay for...I too will stick with my single malt...my personal favorite being a 12 year old Aberlour...I drink mine out of a Cibi glass which seems born for the task.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: