FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
after "Prometheus", Ridley plans new Blade Runner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: after "Prometheus", Ridley plans new Blade Runner Reply with quote

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/ridley-scott-returning-for-another-blade-runner-after-prometheus/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for him Very Happy, Glad he is now back to the Genre he has always been best at.

More here...
http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/toldja-ridley-scott-will-direct-follow-up-to-blade-runner-for-alcon-entertainment/

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/ridley-scott-ready-to-direct-new-version-of-seminal-sci-fi-film-blade-runner/

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More details, that say this won't be a sequel or prequel, but something new...

http://thefilmstage.com/news/ridley-scotts-blade-runner-update-eyes-2013-production-start-will-be-wholly-original-with-no-harrison-ford/

Andy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm talking about. It's difficult for me to get excited about this. By the time the cameras roll, if they ever do, this could be a film about a futuristic toy car looking for a soul.

Rolling Eyes
Rodney
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kept hearing talks about this movie possibly happening, but that someone else was going to direct it. I was still excited, but now even more so because the master himself is taking the wheel!

I am positive it will be great.

I hope Duncan Jones still gets his Blade Runner tribute called "Mute" off the ground too.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as he creates the world authentically, with some new sets, and places, and has a soundtrack comparable to Vangelis's original version, I think it will be a treat. At least we know now it won't be a cheap cash in on the original name, but some real artists are working on it. Be good to see Syd Mead on board too. I am cautiously optimistic.

Andy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Scott Free produce MUTE, but I'd also love to see Duncan Jones write this new BR film.
bentleyousley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
I'd love to see Scott Free produce MUTE, but I'd also love to see Duncan Jones write this new BR film.

Here, here! Couldn't agree more. I think Ridley _needs_ a foil like Duncan Jones to fulfill the promise of this project ... someone who understands the moralistic subtleties of the original. (Forgive my heresy but ...) when I hear interviews with Mr. Scott concerning the original film (especially more recent interviews), it really makes me wonder how much of the subtle undercurrent of Blade Runner he actually understands and to me the subtle messages of this film are what make it great. Yes, Mr. Scott will make a visually fascinating film, but he needs someone in a "Hampton Francher-like" role to give it a soul.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very honestly don't know what to think but... I'd love to see another film set in the BLADE RUNNER universe !!! (or at least 2019 LA has depicted by Sir Ridley)

Fred
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Very exciting news.
Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare to go Off World, the most logical track for the new story to take, my two cents.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they seem to be staying away from making an actual story line sequel or prequel, it makes sense that they are more interested in staying within the world created in BR. I doubt they would go offworld for anything more that as a scene or two, because if you did, you might as well just make a completely unrelated movie all together.

On the other hand according to one source I read they are also looking into developing a TV property as well. If there ends up being more "offshoots" (maybe a better term than sidequel), I can totally see The offworld stuff being developed.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I always said: an TV episode per week and a different director everytime: put their ideas forward (and how they interpret the BR World set up by Ridley)...keep it Noir and with excellent writers attached to it.
The main sets stay pretty much the same: Deck's apt, Main street and other streets, Tyrell's, etc... (no need to build those every week since it would be a 14 or more weeks of continuous shooting and I'm sure those would be used at least once an episode)

Keep it under $2,000,000 (minimum CG, but regular models and on-camera shots).
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An anthology series would be cool. I would love to see guys like David Fincher, Mark Romanek, and Duncan Jones do an episode or two. Not to mention Frank Darabont, Tony Scott, Guillermo del Toro, and now a director himself, Charles de Lauzirika.

Ridley created a genre of film, not just Cyberpunk, but also Dieselpunk even maybe, but "Future Noir". Even if he was influenced by Heavy Metal Magazine, he created something unique that has influenced film in general, but Science Fiction as a whole. I am hungry for more of it too.

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I doubt they would go offworld for anything more that as a scene or two, because if you did, you might as well just make a completely unrelated movie all together

To me the movie will be about Roy Batty, from incept to jumping a shuttle.This would involve offworld far more than LA and why would Ridley want to go back to LA?, he`s done it already and anything he did there would to easily be compareded to the original. New actors and locations are a nice lure. The filming of Roy Batty riseing from the corpses of his retired comrades at the Replicant recycle plant and attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion etc....

" Ive seen things you people wouldnt believe" Theres a movie in that line, Hampton and David, start writnig it.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there is, but they are just generic Science Fiction ideas compared to what Blade Runner is.

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont get that. I dont think this film will be called Blade Runner2
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what Alcon got the rights to do. It would be a waste of paying for those rights not to now.

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going off track instead of off world, im simply suggesting what i think the storyline of the new movie is, i dont think Ridley will cover the same ground as the original and that Blade Runner 2 is a production working title and the final release would not be called that. Besides, if it started production today, we wouldnt see it for three years, lets keep our powder dry.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed ;D

Andy
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad that Mute was cancelled. God knows when Duncan has the money, though, he'll launch back into sci fi noir. The backing just wasn't there this time.

Another Blade Runner? I'm glad it's not a specific sequel or prequel. A new story in the same established world would be brilliant.

My problem is...Ridley has stumbled recently. For ever Gladiator, there's a Robin Hood. Very hit or miss stuff. But I think that he will tread lightly here. It's his baby, and has been for almost 30 years.

I take solace in this: if the story ends up not being brilliant, we're at least guaranteed brilliant visuals and atmosphere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: