FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
4 Inch Spinner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: 4 Inch Spinner Reply with quote

I just got this from a friend that worked as a model maker on Blade Runner. A first generation casting of the 4 inch Spinner model. I'm not sure if this size was ever used in the film. The detail is exquisite, both top and bottom.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Dave...where did they used that kind of detailed model in the film?
Thanks for sharing that beauty with us Cool
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Wow Dave...where did they used that kind of detailed model in the film?
Thanks for sharing that beauty with us Cool

I think they were built for a planned larger version of either the Tyrell Pyramid landing pads of the Police Station pads that was never built. As far as I no, the 4 inch Spinners were never used. But they are sooooo cool.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the one that is known as one of the Give aways to the modeling and FX crew. One of my grails I have been hoping to aquire at some point.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt answer...yes it's very cool indeed. Cool
Mitch Magnum PKD
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely piece to have in your possession, Dave.
Sincere congratulations!

wizardofthenorth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar to Dave's, other than mine has some casting posts on the bottom still.

I am understanding it is production made, or possibly from a production mold, but cannot be certain.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome wizardofthenorth...and yes, same as the one from DaveG.
Wink
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these spinner castings, unfinished, is up for auction now at Prop Store of London with an estimated value of $1,600 to $2,400. They claim it was the smallest size Spinner miniature and was widely used on roof tops. Not unusual for them to claim something was screen used when it wasn't.

Way (WAY) over valued IMHO.

But nowhere near as ridiculously priced as the 8 inch long piece of etched brass from the refinery landscape that Prop Store has listed at $2,739!

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price of brass is off the wall these days Laughing TFS Dave!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stay away from propstore ever since they sold some of the fan made Deckard ID's back in the day as "prototypes" for the film one. They later changed the description on them after being called out by the maker. These were pre worldcon photos and pretty bad too.

I think they have cleaned up their rep a bit since then, but sometimes the desire to get product that will sell will either get them to get stuff with loose provenance, or pay too much for an item themselves. Ever since the TV programs for movie props have aired prices for even common stuff has gone up quite a bit. The casting for the car were done in pretty high numbers and handed out like candy to the staff. The prop house that did the work still exists today under a different name too, and many of the molds and masters still exist too. I got a display base from randy cooper that used both Tyrell building rooftop casts and the etched brass Hades Landscape pieces. They still use the parts in greeblies on their current work today.

Personally, I very much covet those little spinners, and have some from Japan that were based off of the old cast and cleaned up a bit. Still nothing like seeing stuff as close to the source as possible though.

Andy
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big problem is that they give everything they sell a Certificate of Authenticity, which then becomes the provenance for the piece making it "legit".

A year or two ago they had a bunch of miniature pieces that they claimed were from Batman Returns. The problem is none of them were from Batman Returns, the movie, they were all made for Batman Returns the RIDE, for which I was the model shop supervisor. The descriptions all said "used in the background of scenes" which is why they couldn't show any screed shots of them. Actually they did hav one screen shot, but it was of a full scale set that was never even built in miniature. I wrote them an email to that effect, along with photos of the pieces in the Ride Film. They only changed the description on one piece claiming that since the seller told them where they were from, they had to believe him. Of course it was in Prop Store's own best interest to market them as from the film, just like they are marketing the 4" spinner as being a model used in the film, when we all know it wasn't.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white resin kind of gives it away too.

Andy
R.A.M.
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find interesting about these models is the detail. If you look at the wheels on the spinner there is more detail (the cables in the front) than on the hero spinner. I think they modeled it after the Syd Mead spinner than the hero spinner (if you look at the front and there aren't any lights although that could just be difficult for a 4" model).

R.A.M.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.A.M. wrote:
What I find interesting about these models is the detail. If you look at the wheels on the spinner there is more detail (the cables in the front) than on the hero spinner. I think they modeled it after the Syd Mead spinner than the hero spinner (if you look at the front and there aren't any lights although that could just be difficult for a 4" model).

R.A.M.

They were made before the full scale spinners were finished, and the larger effects model hero as well. Many of those looked closer to Syd's original design as well, but were changed later. On the front wheel pods you can see the "wings" on them that were part of the Mead design. I know they made a Laser cannon for some of the smaller models too, and you can still see the rail that is was supposed to be mounted too on the full size spinner. I am guessing Ridley decided against it for some reason.

Andy
R.A.M.
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
R.A.M. wrote:

R.A.M.

They were made before the full scale spinners were finished, and the larger effects model hero as well. Many of those looked closer to Syd's original design as well, but were changed later. On the front wheel pods you can see the "wings" on them that were part of the Mead design. I know they made a Laser cannon for some of the smaller models too, and you can still see the rail that is was supposed to be mounted too on the full size spinner. I am guessing Ridley decided against it for some reason.

Andy

Wow I didn't even notice those wings! I didn't know they were made befor the others but that makes sense why it looks that way. Thanks for pointing that out.
I came across an outtakes video on YouTube and it shows one of the model makers pulling out a casting of the 4" spinner and he sets it against a whole row of spinners. Im sure they were crew gifts and not production used seeing how many casings there are. It's crazy how propstore is selling it as screen used. Here is the video you see it at 7:25: http://youtu.be/b1sZDHg4ZZY

R.A.M.
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.A.M.
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendzhamin1967 wrote:
Yeah that's the photo I was talking about.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that pic. For reference look at the original pics Dave posted up top. I believe that is an original, and maybe even one of those being made in that image. I used to see copies of them every few months on Ebay. Not sure how many were made, and if any were made with the molds after the film or not, but I do know it was recast a bunch of times, just as the Stunt blasters were. I have seen people try to sell obvious recasts, even 3rd or later generation ones at screen used prices before too. At least "try". I would love to own one as close to 1st gen casting as possible, but I have never seen even 1st gen ones sell for more than a few hundred at tops, unless they were painted for film use with provenance. I have seen close to 1st gen casts go for less than $50 even. I keep hoping Wink

Andy
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I love that pic. For reference look at the original pics Dave posted up top. I believe that is an original, and maybe even one of those being made in that image.

Mine is the fourth one from the top in that photo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: