FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
PAPER PROPS - The Magazines Reimagined
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's getting better and better! Love the Zorah shot Cool
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: The Challenge Reply with quote

Staar -

Thanks for the interest and the kind comments. As I said earlier, I started this after years as a fan and enjoying the contributions others had made before me. I don't wish to distract from any previous efforts. This is just my take on how it might have been, had the original creative team had today's tools (and a bit more time). No doubt they could have bettered my efforts.

It remains to be seen what will come of Ridley's new efforts. Hopefully it will inspire even more efforts here.

I welcome any constructive comments (and criticisms). Thanks again!
- R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: ZORD Z's Reply with quote

Thanks, joberg.

More to come - R13
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to be able to buy Digital copies of what you are making. That would be my vote. That way you can play with them, try different things and when the dog shakes a little after being in the rain you can re-do a cover for one of your magazines like I have to do now.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also that way I can make magazine adds but also street sign adds and so on.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Hmmmm . . . Reply with quote

Jameth -

I'll have to think about that. Since these are new creates, it's kinda like when a prop-builder sells his molds. Usually pricey, cause he's giving up control of creation.

That said, I HAVE considered selling the 'flattened' images, if that's your thought here. And I have thought about offering the advertisements as a giveaway with the cover, anyway, or possibly as a downloadable file, so you can pick and chose, mix and match. I may also offer small posters (14" x 20")/signs and ads, like the small "junk mail" piece I did earlier for ZORD. We'll see. Jury's still out. And I still have a bit more work to do.

---

Poor dog! You should let him inside . . . or let him borrow your neon umbrella! Smile

HAB1 - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm . . . Reply with quote

Keep these to yourself mate.

As someone who's had a lot of (private and official studio) work stolen abused and reposted, I don't believe these should be made available as digital files because they have the habit of ending up in the wild and ultimately you loose control of their distribution.

Protecting files is limited and I've easily removed protection from studio supplied reference files.

While I know most of the folk here would respect your ownership, the best this is to stick to policy and not make exceptions. It might be harsh but its cleaner and better. If a few of you decide to collaborate on certain project elements then that can be a separate (private) arrangement…

Regards

MARK

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Ninth Magazine Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:

If anyone can shed any light on the complete cover, I would like to include it in my updates.

Thanks! - R13

The photo looks very 60's, very Peter Knapp (photographer of most of André Courrèges fashion collections and also art director of ELLE mag in the 60's). it also reminds me a little of a painting by Gustav Klimt, The Virgin (maiden).
Sorry I can't help you more on this... I'll keep searching in my 60's fashion books when I have time. (already did yesterday without luck)

BTW, your interpretation of the HORN cover blew my mind, that's just AWESOME work !

Can't wait to see what you'll show us in your next posts !

Fred
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Creative Ownership Reply with quote

Understood. I appreciate your thoughts.

While some might consider this art derivative - and after all, we are all fans of Blade Runner, its concepts and designs - it is all a new create. I applaud all honest efforts, but it is one thing to re-assemble from existing sources (scans, found object, etc.), quite another if it is a fresh creation or a reinterpretation of something, from scratch. A difference I acknowledge between my covers and a couple of my ads. Few would ever think to suggest that a Richard Coyle or Rick Ross give up their work by handing over their molds.

As with other areas here, a great deal of time and unseen years of experience go into these. Sadly, 'print' is something often not recognized as equal to efforts in other areas like blasters or costumes. Few realize the efforts that go into the magazine ads and TV concepts, even though that is where talents like Ridley got their start!

That said, if I (or anyone) makes art or props available, here, or anywhere else thru the internet, there's always the risk of losing - control or potential income. There is always the opportunist, those who have the skills to make a copy.

Sad, really. And most of us have fallen victim at some point. There are, of course, those fans and collectors who honestly only wish to enhance their private obsession with B-R, and truly appreciate the incredible efforts shown here. I for one.

It will always be a question of mutual respect and how best to share our enthusiasms.

Thanks again - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: The ADULT Covers Reply with quote

Skin Job 66 -

Yes, HORN was one of the bigger challenges. A lot went into that, as well as the redo of the DROID graphic. And that other adult cover, dare I mention the name . . .

Thanks for your input on FASH, and taking time to search! The pic of the cover is from that convention reel, but I am sure you are on the right track with your comments. As before, I would guess Southwell referenced whatever fashion mags and reference he had available, to do his sketches. Needle in a haystack . . .

I've already started work on it, but it would be incredible to find that ONE picture that you feel was the reference he used! I could still be wrong, but when I ran across that movie poster looking for dog reference for the KILL cover, I felt certain I was very close.

Any help is appreciated, Fred!

HAB1 - R13

Sneak Peek -

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: The ADULT Covers Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
Skin Job 66 -

Thanks for your input, and taking time to search! The pic of the cover is from that convention reel, but I am sure you are on the right track with your comments. As before, I would guess Southwell referenced whatever fashion mags and reference he had available, to do his sketches. Needle in a haystack . . .

I've already started work on it, but it would be incredible to find that ONE picture that you feel was the reference he used! I could still be wrong, but when I ran across that movie poster looking for dog reference for the KILL cover, I felt certain I was very close.

Any help is appreciated, Fred!

HAB1 - R13

Sneak Peek -

You're welcome Rep13 !

I was also thinking this morning about a photo made for a japanese mag, mainly because it reminds me of the way japanese people idealize the body of Westerners, know what I mean ?
Anyway I'll keep searching for that damn needle... It's great fun !!!

Wink

Fred
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Nod, nod. Wink, wink. Say no more . . . Reply with quote

Ah yes, 'Japanamation'! Thanks. - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Speaking of . . . Reply with quote

DROID BOY -

HAB1 - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice of you to, maybe, make those available to us and as Staar mentioned, the possibility of having your work/art getting out of your hand and being appropriated by someone looking for a buck...
I, for one, would not care if my work was "stolen" and used by someone else to make money.
I consider my prop/art something effemeral at best (like me)and I know deep down that no matter who makes a buck using my work I am the one who built it/painted it...if that work is passed to others (for free or not) is only what matters: my work being liked for what it is is really what makes me happy at the end of the day.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: joberg Reply with quote

Understood, as well.

We all have our interests. Our drives to create.

Recognition is a strong part of it. And, as a I said earlier, I think that interaction is a big part of what the Summit is all about (for me).

Each us us has the freedom to express themselves and share, as we see fit. But it should not be taken unfair advantage of either - that respect thing.

It is my intention to share these, in some form. That is yet to be decided - in part by the reaction here.

Thanks for your continued interest. HAB1 - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: DROIDS! Reply with quote

DROID - This is the one that started it all - for me.

Several years ago, when I started putting together my own composites using the available scans and reference, this image was the most troublesome. No matter what I did with it, it never looked very good. Trying to "fix" it was almost too much work. I think at that point I was already aware of others' efforts to use the same art, or even create their own versions based on guesses or the tiny images in Cinefantastique and later in Sammon's incredible follow-up, Future Noir.

It's still difficult to be "accurate" with this cover. I still have NO idea what this image is (?) And the only photo that was available in color (at left), suffered from poor lighting, apparent halftone textures or film grain and some discoloration. As with other covers later, I had to make judgment calls and hope I was in the neighborhood.

If you're successful, in the end you have a better image than what was previously available.

You can see there is a great deal of undefinable detail - wires, solder points, circuitry and colors. And distracting texture. No apologies, but obviously if you make any choice, someone else might see it differently. This was a combination of guesses and creative license.

As I said earlier, it appears when photographed that there was a very strong light source, lower left. Others have apparently reached the same conclusion, as I have seen covers here with an all-black background. Quite possibly correct. I chose a slight compromise, adding in texture, but keeping the background subdued in warm grays and dark charcoals.

HAB1 - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the digital versus hard copy question I have one.

Couldn't you as easily rip off a hard copy. If I buy an add here and I get a hard copy couldn't I just scan it on my scanner and sell it as well???
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameth wrote:
On the digital versus hard copy question I have one.

Couldn't you as easily rip off a hard copy. If I buy an add here and I get a hard copy couldn't I just scan it on my scanner and sell it as well???

Good question..

Yes, you could do that but there are two factors that make it less successful.

If you're scanning a file that's already been printed then the quality is never the same simply because you're scanning the printing process and not using the first generation (clean) digital file. Its mathematically impossible to get the same quality unless you make an entirely new one from your scan. While you can certainly get a reasonable copy of the original, if you put your scanned version next to the original file, your scan would clearly be seen as inferior..

The second drawback is that you will need to extensively Photoshop your scan in order to make any changes or adjustments. The original will comprise of vector layers and possibly a few very hi-res bitmap files. Your scan will only compromise of a flat bitmap file - unlayered and thus impossible to edit easily..

Regards

MARK

Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Ripping Art Reply with quote

All -

I appreciate your thoughts, but perhaps this is a side topic, best discussed on another thread (?)

There ARE other options - ways to discourage plagiarism, but it becomes complicated and expensive and only adds to the collector's costs in the end. And it usually detracts from the intended creation.

I had hoped to avoid that here. Perhaps naively.

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good effort on that Droid cover...still a mystery also. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 4 of 23

Jump to: