FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Syd Mead Voight Kampff
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amfx74
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: look forward please. Reply with quote

Looking fantastic, excellent detailing.
morganthirteen
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan,

That. Is. Sensational.

I completely agree with your assesment of Syd's original design. It's just so incredibly wicked looking with all of it's sharp angles and lines. Somewhere in a box I still have the never-finished version I started in the late 90's, right after I did the Concept Blaster. I got pretty close to finishing the eyepiece, but the rest of it was really just roughed out. It's so inspiring to see someone else just knock it out of the park (even at the early stage you're at right now).

Just awesome.

I remember having a conversation with Syd about how some of the parts didn't seem to line up in a way that would allow the entire thing to fold into itself completely and he said that at that point in the design phase he really didn't care whether everything lined up or not. That was for the prop guys to figure out. lol

As it happens I'm planning on a Version 2.0 of the Concept Blaster that is more faithful to his design later this year and I would love to have one of your VK Concepts to pair it up with (if offering these is something you're considering).

Here's hoping!

Shawn
kaiburr
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

That is just great to hear you're working on another gun model. I can see that being very popular and would love to have one myself.
On a side note, the gun you gave Syd was lent to me to repair for him after a cleaner accidentally knocked it off a shelf. Anyhow, I really dug it and look forward to your revised edition.

I asked him the same thing about the folding gun design and got a similar response. His VK bears a similar problem as the bellows can't possibly extend and retract as high as his drawing indicates without having them collapse into the housing so as to maintain the profile, so that's what mine will do, which leaves very little room to motorize them, but as I'm considering this more a study model than a working prop, I'm okay with that.

As for making kits, if this turns out to be something I'm proud of and there are enough folks interested, molds will be made. The custom electronics, however, will be left for the builder as the monitors are smaller than even the movie versions.

Thanks guys, for all the kudos. Means a lot!

Nathan
morganthirteen
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan,

Aha! So you're the one who repaired that thing! Syd had mentioned to me of it's mishap and that he had it fixed. Excellent. It really *is* a small world, isn't it? lol

And thank you for kind words. My friend Dave Martis did the build up on Syd's before I had settled on a paint/finishing scheme that would eventually become the standard I would employ on other build ups. Mine had more of a dull aluminum look with different shades of gray and that splash of bright primary color that Syd seems to favor. I have given serious thought to try and make the "barrel" hinged as well, though it would have to be a double hinge to fold out far enough to sit back onto the body.

Either way your fantastic effort here is more than enough motivation for me to move the new version up in my time table, and whether or not your VK will ever be made available, for that at least I am grateful!

Again, just incredible work!

Shawn
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible work. Cool
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: FASCINATING! Reply with quote

Just caught this! I've always been a big fan of Syd Mead's designs, even before his huge contribution to BR. So when I stumbled upon Shawn's build of his concept blaster a few years ago, and was able to acquire one, I was thrilled.

Now, all these years later, to see what you've done here with Mead's VK machine (so far), along with the possibility of an update from Mr. Morgan in the near future . . .

(Perhaps Father can extend my 4-year lifespan.)

Nice work, kaiburr.

TFS! - R13

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: