FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
First paid gig! Kloo horn and BttF inspired remote control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fangorn81
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: First paid gig! Kloo horn and BttF inspired remote control Reply with quote

Hi, I just wanted to share a couple props I made last week. These are my first paid prop builds outside of stop motion miniature props and armatures.

First up is a Star Wars Kloo horn (as played by Figrin D'an from the Modal Nodes in the cantina):

I am a huge Star Wars fan, and it was one of the main inspirations that got me into filmmaking/effects and animation. It was awesome to get the chance to replicate a prop from the films and GET PAID FOR IT!

(for reference)

It's basically spray painted PVC and a few bits and baubles (part of a yard stick, some rubber foot pads, and a vintage radio part). I know it's not screen accurate, but for the time and budget, I think I got it pretty freakin close.

Next is an awesome original prop designed by my friend (and co-worker), and improved upon and constructed by me. I also installed working LED electronics wired to a few of the switches (nothing compared to the scale blimp project...but I'm still proud of it!).

These will soon be featured in a web comedy sketch by a very popular comedy site! The kloo horn was even "played" by a celebrity musician who told me it was awesome! I know this isn't Blade Runner related, but I'm pretty excited about it! As soon as it's up, I'll post a link to it.

And even though I made the remote less than 4 days ago and I know the main body is just two old VHS rewinders bolted together, I have no idea the brand or model of the two (we got them in a random shop in Chinatown), much less the origin of most of the vintage knobs we bought for it....Now I know what kind of insurmountable nightmare it really is to discover the origin of parts when trying to replicate an iconic prop. Even when it's cobbled together from found objects, there's very little chance even the main builder or designer of the prop knows or can remember where the parts came from!

Joah Mahan
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good prop making Cool Looks like that instrument could be played in real life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Non Blade Runner Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: