FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
• "HERO" BOWMAN - Lost In Space?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: • "HERO" BOWMAN - Lost In Space? Reply with quote

Like many here, among other things, I am a big fan of "2001", perhaps the one movie that started it all (at least for me).

This is perhaps old news and hopefully I am not repeating another thread here. Many of you know the story of Twinch Squad, the (notorious) outfit that offered some amazing 1/6 scale space suits based on those featured in the movie and it's sequel "2010", designed to fit GI JOEs -

Jump ahead almost a decade and Go Hero pops up with a prototype - this time a proposed figure (a fairly decent likeness of Keir Dullea) -

While online comments confirmed that they were using a "Twinch Suit" for display purposes (along with an Atomic City? Pod), an online source leaked that he had been approached for information and suggestions for their upcoming release, claiming that they wanted to improve on any inaccuracies of the previous suit.

Eager for further information, I contacted Go Hero, with no response.

So I waited, if for no other reason than hoping to acquire the Dullea figure for my Twinch Suit . . .

Nothing.

I know these "deals" take time, but it's been several years now and there has been no further mention and nothing on their site. So I wonder if they even acquired the license to proceed further(?)

Perhaps it is old news, but does anyone know for certain what happened?

- R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, either Scott Alexander has some info, or our own Karl, maybe Jason would know what has happened...but after more than a year, chances are it's not good news (generaly speaking from experience here). Crying or Very sad
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: LOST IN SPACE & TIME Reply with quote

Actually I had kind of forgotten about the Go Hero prototype until viewing another "2001" thread here reminded me of this question.

Although I would assume that all indications pointed to a dead end, I thought perhaps some insider here might know a bit more. I think it was Scott who had been approached earlier as a consultant due to his expertise with all things 2001.

Too bad. I know there were "issues" with the Twinch Squad suits, aside from the fact that so many failed to even receive their order. I must say that, while a bit fragile, the suit is quite nice and possibly the only thing that will ever be produced . . .

I had hoped the Bowman head sculpt might surface on some forum, or on eBay. It would be nice to have sculpts of Dullea and/or Lockwood to complete those figures that are out there in various collections.

- R13
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: LOST IN SPACE & TIME Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:

Too bad. I know there were "issues" with the Twinch Squad suits, aside from the fact that so many failed to even receive their order. I must say that, while a bit fragile, the suit is quite nice and possibly the only thing that will ever be produced . . .
R13

Saw one of these suits once on eBay, still in it's original box, it was auctioned at... 1500€ !!!

Shocked

Holy crap, for this amount of money you can almost afford a 1:1 Bowman's helmet replica !

Fred
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: "TWINCHED" INDEED! Reply with quote

Yes, for those lucky few who actually received one from the original maker, it was only a few hundred dollars. Over the past decade I have watched the prices climb from several hundred to most recently (an asking price of) $3500.00US on eBay. I don't recall if anyone has actually taken the bait and bid or bought one, but obviously the suits are in short supply.

I don't know how many were produced, but there were four versions/colors. I remember seeing online photos (I think I downloaded them, somewhere) of tables or bins of helmets and the various assorted pieces readied for painting or assembly. The tanks/packs and all of the fittings were cast in a metal, then painted or plated. There were few, if any, plastic parts. The boots, gloved (replacement) hands and straps and hoses were rubber or leatherette.

Of all the pieces, perhaps the gloved hands were the weakest effort - designed to replace any figure's hands (due in part to how they connected to the suit), they were scaled too small and being cast in rubber they are quite delicate and the paint wears off easily, even when carefully handled.

Although I read somewhere that the silver suit is rare, from what I've seen offered over the years, the light blue may be the most rare of the four. To my knowledge no green suit was ever produced, although it would be simple to paint the helmet and gloves to match those Bowman acquired upon his return to Discovery.

- R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: SQUAD SUITS Reply with quote

I just checked eBay and there are two being "offered" currently for $3500.00 each! A yellow one and a silver. I would guess by the same seller as before . . .

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just wow...rare but for that price? No thanks Confused Probs with the 2001 "franchise"(if there's one) is that to produce anything from that movie is already difficult (few blueprints, pics, etc) and when something is finally produced it cost an arm and a leg (with the exception of the fantastic products Scott is making at Atomic City...and the price vs quality is untouchable IMO). Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> News from around the hobby All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: