FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Snubby blaster WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Snubby blaster WIP Reply with quote

OK, it's been awhile since I've posted shots of props, because it's been awhile since I've had anything to post!

This is pretty self explanatory, I know. Smile

I wanted a subtly textured "brushed aluminum" kind of look, and I'm fairly happy with the results too. I used a brush on acrylic paint to get the texture, from "folkart" called 579 metallic aluminum. I used a flat, wide, soft haired brush. The cool thing about acrylic is that it's plastic, so it can be handled after painting with very little wear.

I like to use steel or aluminum tubing for barrels, and in this case, it's hard to tell where the real aluminum ends, and the painted resin begins. I liked that Smile

I don't think I'll install the laser sight, or the safety, I really like how the light plays off the clean sides of the gun with this kind of paint.

I used regular old krylon primer, then I used the sharpie silver paint pen over that and literally drew on a silver base finish that was tacky, and then I used the folk art paint. It should be noted that this type of folks art paint is very watery and thin, so it can't hold this kind of color on it's own, you have to underbase it with something, black looks good, as does a nice deep blue color.

And as you can see, it catches the light well.

I know it's not all pimped out chromed out alclad (which I friggin' LOVE) but I did achieve the finish I was intending, and I thinks it's pretty dang good for a man recovering from his first root canal (and about to have it "finished" in the morning. Sad

Thanks for looking guys (and gals)
Noeland-----------

OOPS, almost forgot, the LED's don't work. I installed them, wired them up, everything was working perfectly (my first time soldering wires, thank you very much) but I completely destroyed the switch while I was trying to install it with my needle nose plyers, and then just snipped the wires, and left the dang thing as is. I don't have the heart to tear it apart to get a new switch and rewire it.

I'm bummed, but I have another snubby waiting in the wings that I won't make the same mistake with! That model is going to be a parkerized "military issue" style snubby.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. How did you get the tortoise shell look for the grips? I think I have been obsessed with the tortoise shell grips since I first saw a set of Rick's in the late 90's. Seeing Talesin's, gun and now yours is only making my urge worse.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, I forgot to mention that! I used a small sponge and dabbed some slightly watered down black gloss acrylic on the frame under the grips.

The grips won't take paint, just beads right off em, so after I primered the frame, I added the black without adding the silver. I'm actually considering making the paint darker too, because like you, I really love that deep dark marbled amber look.

I actually haven't painted the exposed parts of the frame between the grips with the aluminum acrylic paint either. Still gotta do that.
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice Noeland! It does have a subtle brushed or bead blasted look to the finish.

I agree about the saftey and (especially) the laser sight--makes for a smooth, quick-draw-from-the-pocket look that a snubbie ought to have.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have so many Ideas for the Guns, that I am picking up cheap kits just to experiment just as I have seen you do in the past. I have also been gathering greeblies for more than 20 years and have even taken apart previous attempts to use in later work. I just need to focus my energies. Keep up the concepts Noeland. I think it adds a lot to the value of our little Niche' in this hobby.

Andy
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome - yet another addition to the many reasons why I love this forum!

oldzey
talesin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, and your technique for the grip is inspired!
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good! for some reason I always felt the snubby should have had one trigger. maybe because it's smaller and less powerfull then it's big bro.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a stylistic thing, having the 2 triggers. I think it's such a trademark of the weapon though, that not having two triggers even on the snubby, would just be "wrong" in some way. Wink
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always felt the snubby should have had one trigger.

Well, it only has 2 LEDs instead of the four...lol

Noeland, it is looking great!! The snub is becoming one of my favorite versions of this blaster!
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! That looks really sweet. Pulling off a stainless steel or silver finish is always tough without the whole alclad thing. Just wondering why not go with black grips like on the patrolman's version for this one?

Food for thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: