FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade runner elements in Brazil (1985)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syrinx
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Blade runner elements in Brazil (1985) Reply with quote

I´m looking in to setting the scene for an RPG scenario in the BR-universe. The US will have the regular L.A. 2019 Japan/US feel with ties to PKD´s "The man in the high castle" and I´ll use "The little black box" to get some corporate background on the Penfield organ.

For the UK, I´m thinking a low tech scene ala Brazil. You are monitored all the time. Steam is used for powering the tube messaging. A different kind of atmosphere there.

I think it´s viable to use the two films as backdrop to on game. Some ties exist between the two.

Both have screen lenses for enhancing TV.
Both have external vents and water pipes.
Paranoia and dystopic landscape. Check!

To have one location relying on high tech solutions and the other to rely on control and supervision seems like a neat way of getting variation.

To be a rep detect in the UK would differ a lot from a US one.

Is it just me or is Brazil a close fit to Blade Runner giving putting the two scenes apart?

/Dave
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC Terry Gilliam stated he wanted to make a "better Blade Runner" with Brazil. Both films use something that was not really used before which was a retro anachronistic future. Alphaville used current styles, even though it borrowed the Noir style from films 20 years hence. Brazil was even more "Industrial" though, and it is also one of my favorite films.

Andy
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: A Brazil connection to BR. Reply with quote

A visual connection and even a theme connection are undeniable however, when I mentioned to Brazil's production designer Norman Garwood that the "every home will have ducting" line was a joke at BR's expense he refused ANY connection. Brazil has greatness and can stand alone but Terry G. And his rich humor and arcane visual skill told him the audience was ready if he dragged a shade or texture or duct from BR. Brazil goes much farther with parody, humor, and irony. Mr Scott's movie has those things deeper under the skin of his characters. You really want to cry more than laugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: