FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Voight Kampff Reference Photos...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Tom, yes it's Mike indeed.

Without a grey scale it's going to be difficult to guess the right colour for the main housing (blue-ish grey in the pics)...I know where to put the black colour on the prop and when you see some of the pics taken with a flash, the black turns to a blue/grey tint also.

Of course we're all eager to see the Polaroids, I think that we'll discover more details Wink
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the housing under the Bellows was to lift that mechanism up to make room for the larger CRT screen rearward tube that was now at a higher position.

Also I think Joberg's VK Build deserves it's own project thread. This one was mainly built to collect VK reference photos and info. I hate to see all your hard work hiding in a reference thread.
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joberg’s excellent replica has fired up my enthusiasm and prompted me to do a bit of research on the available references of the Voight Kampff machine.

I was aware of the differences between the Mike Fink machine and the UK machine but until I looked closely I hadn’t noticed how different they were.

I think what surprises me is how small the unit is.

I scaled it up from the gang of six-extension cable on Mike Fink’s desk (aerial shot). What I found was the main monitor is smaller than you think it is.

I spent a good portion of yesterday scaling up a front elevation of the Mike Fink machine and the UK machine. Coming up with various sizes each time based on sizes of various elements like the white illuminated buttons, LED bars and various monitor sizes.

Still not happy I returned to my reference and came across this picture, which I don’t think had been posted before.

I also found this of the carry case.

Like joberg, I think the version to make would be the Mike Fink one. I think it’s better proportioned.

Doing this research makes me realise what a great job joberg is doing on his replica. I’ve only spent one day doing it and already I feel like I’m banging my head against a brick wall.

Colin
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colin for these pics (yeah, that case is another "mystery, but I'll come up with a version that'll be close to the original Wink ).

You're right, Mike Fink's V.K. is the best one: sleeker, attention to details is everywhere on that prop, just the fact that the first white button on the right-hand side is flushed with the screen line is one way to distinguish between M.F's prop and the U.K. one.

Never saw that first colour pic Confused Very strange now that I'm looking at it (could be fan-made?)...and you're right, the big screen is 12 cm x 13 cm, not very big.
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joberg,

I think the colour photo is the real Mike Fink machine. I found the photo in the little book which comes with the 30th Anniversary Blu Ray Box set. Its a tiny picture in the book.

Colin
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, there's no room on top of the big screen to put the light bar Confused
the white buton on the left is not flush with the right-hand side of the screen...maybe an early mock-up?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Strange, there's no room on top of the big screen to put the light bar Confused
the white buton on the left is not flush with the right-hand side of the screen...maybe an early mock-up?

It has no cover. the cover is where the light bar would be attached.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta disagree with you Andy; if you look at Tom's B&W pics, you'll see that the front plate and the screen are in one piece, including the light bar and the button. That front piece is protruding from the main cover/housing of the prop.

Also in that pic that Colin posted, the small screens at the left seems...wonky Confused
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black frame is missing too. I assumed it was part of the cover. It seems moved up for the larger screen version, and sticks out. It is larger than the screen in the smaller version, but smaller than the screen on the large screen version. My guess is that it is a separate piece with the electronics for the light bar, and not part of the screen itself.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usualy go by the measurement of the white button closer to the screen. Mike Fink's V.K. : if you could stack the buttons along the side of the screen you would have 4 buttons on top of each other.
The U.K. one: at least 5 1/2 buttons.

Colin's pic: 4 buttons...but I'm still confused about a few things.
That's why I'm convinced it's a mock-up, they're still trying to see if stuff fits in there and what kind of transformation is needed.
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joberg, Andy. Interesting comments.

Using the reference of the Mike Fink machines only, here's what I see in the photographs.

I've tried to illustrate what I see in the images below.

1) The edge of the button nearest the monitor, lines up with the edge of the Vac Form above it.

2) The ribbing above and below the buttons, runs up to the side of the monitor.

3) There is a gap between the side of the monitor and the first button.

4) The 'Monitor Cover', which houses the LED bar, slots over the top of the monitor and fits in the slot in the vac-form top.

5) The bottom edge of the 'Monitor Cover', lines up with the bottom edge of the vac-from top.

Hope this all makes sense.

Exploded Cut Away.

Detail of Tom Southwell's photo to compare above sketch with.

So based on what I see, here is my front elevation, drawn over the new photo I posted. Still a work in progress.

I think the smaller monitors are wonky because they are not fixed in place yet. Just resting on top. But if you look at some of the 'straight on' photo's of Deckard and the VK, the smaller monitor box isn't quite straight!

Non of the details seem consistent from photo to photo so there must have been several machines. Or each time it went on set it had been modified or improved, which would account for why it look different from photo to photo.

Colin
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a VK expert at all but I like your deduction a lot, Colin... Well spotted !

Cool

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Colin...you're right, what I meant to say is that the first button is flush with the vac-form housing, not the edge of the screen Embarassed

Right again for the ribbing, they're going around the corner...I try to search for some of the V.K. threads we had on the board and I remember clearly seeing one of the HD pics with the other side of said corner and yes, ribbing is going around but stopping at about 1/4 of the length of the machine.

The separate piece with the light-bar and button going around the big screen is an interesting idea (true when you see Bwood's pic of the V.K. beeing tested for its electronic, you see a regular monitor without the protruding top).

Great drawing and WIP btw...are you going to tackle the prop also?
It would be interesting to see you work (always top notch Cool )
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a blow up of that Bwood photo that shows the lightbar fairly nicely.

And it's cool to see a spare VK top in the background-
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, found this publicity photo-
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick for those pics...helps me to understand better. More info = better prop. Yes, I had seen that vacu-form housing also; maybe another was built (or not).
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

Thanks for those blow ups. They are really helpful. You can see a lot more detail in that photograph than I thought.

Colin
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joberg ,

In answer to your earlier question if I plan to make a a Voight Kampff machine. Not in the near future. My next build will be the Alien Flamethrower! But I will continue drawing up some plans of the VK and maybe do a 3D, CG version.

Colin
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, eager to see the final result...are you going to do an exploded view of the prop.
Would be nice to do something a la StarWars with a story behind it and how it "works" into the BR World Wink
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: VK polaroids during construction. Reply with quote

I have found my VK pictures and I will post them at thread:
Tom Southwell Q&A.
TS

(officials: Move them if you want.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: