FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
"Sebastian's Immortal Game - The Final Cut"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool That looks cool scoffman. I like the reddish color squares contrasting with the white ones. Oak is a nice timber to use... nice and simple minimal look is good also.
Maybe add a perimeter "shelf" all round like Rick Ross did on his table to hold the 'dead birds' (captured ones). Your chess board's square size is good, larger size than mine.... displays better. My chess birds are getting on the cramped side as I used the smallest square size for these pieces of 40mm X 40mm. A better size is 45 to 50mm at least.
I hope to build or buy a lighted chess table for mine later. Still need a dust cover.... my room gets very dusty.
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cratercritter wrote:
Cool That looks cool scoffman. I like the reddish color squares contrasting with the white ones. Oak is a nice timber to use... nice and simple minimal look is good also.
Maybe add a perimeter "shelf" all round like Rick Ross did on his table to hold the 'dead birds' (captured ones). Your chess board's square size is good, larger size than mine.... displays better. My chess birds are getting on the cramped side as I used the smallest square size for these pieces of 40mm X 40mm. A better size is 45 to 50mm at least.
I hope to build or buy a lighted chess table for mine later. Still need a dust cover.... my room gets very dusty.

Thanks! The perimeter "shelf" as you call it is part of the design, it just hasn't been built yet as this was a test fit of the frame and glass and to see how it would like when it was lighted. The top edge isn't even tacked down yet - it's being held in place with scotch tape. Smile I'm going to be using a different light source than I used for the photos as those are picture lights I'm going to be using to light up some framed lithographs I have hanging on my wall. I'm thinking I'm going to use a round fluorescent fixture in the base and I may need some sort of diffuser between it and the board like I was doing with the second piece of frosted glass (without it you could see the light bulbs themselves through the glass.) I should probably try a test with fluorescent lights as well before I make a final decision as you know their light tend to be a bit 'colder' in the color spectrum and incandescents tend to have a warmer, more yellowish light.

The size of the squares are the same as what Rick used on his original design which he incorporated into his finished table - they are 2" or 50.8 mm. I looked around for glass chess boards and they were all too small. His original design used a translucent piece of white Plexiglas but his finished table uses a custom-made etched glass one. There's a website that has instructions on making your own chess board from Plexiglas if you are interested - I just applied the same basic techniques using a quality piece of glass instead.

As to the dust, I totally understand and I hope you realize (and it seems you do) that I was mainly being facetious about it. When I get my board/table finished I should probably think about doing something similar to help protect the pieces. I have the whole collection of the Lord of the Rings miniature helms and I display them on an uncovered shelf and I have to periodically dust them off with a can of spray air, but they are a lot heavier and less likely to fall over then the chess pieces.

Anyway, thanks for your comments!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good project Scoffman! Love the colour of the square and yes, when you see the box in the movie it's a very simple light-box when you think of it Wink
I agree with you: some stuff should be used and played with...my 2 cents.
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cratecritter and Scoffman,

Great work to both of you! You've made my set look even better by what you've done! Thank you.

Sincerely,
Rick

www.reddragonkipplecompany.com
www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rick, and all others who chimed in .... thanks for your kind words. I love looking at and admiring these chess birds, so full of charming character and detail.... very inspiring. Got them displayed on my computer desk for now.
.....A "light-table" ......maybe one day, a future project.
Again ------> top job Rick!
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cratercritter wrote:
Hey Rick, and all others who chimed in .... thanks for your kind words. I love looking at and admiring these chess birds, so full of charming character and detail.... very inspiring. Got them displayed on my computer desk for now.
.....A "light-table" ......maybe one day, a future project.
Again ------> top job Rick!

Sorry about the continued delay in bringing my table to market. I've taken it back to the drawing board in an effort to bring down the price, and weight, considerably. I need to reduce the processes down from 3 days to 1 day, at least per unit and shave away about 15 lbs., in order to make it feasible to produce and ship. I will keep you posted.

Rick

www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past month I have been revisiting this project and revising the design of Sebastian's Chess Set Crate. When I first introduced the crate in 2010, along with my interpretation of his "bird chess set", it was what I imagined he received them in from "The Red Dragon Kipple Company". My idea was that R.D.K.C. is a company that could exist in both Philip K. Dick's, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" universe, and in Mr. Scott's, "Blade Runner" universe. Primarily, they would have offices throughout the world, with a home office in Paris. Their "Kipple-Techs" and "Repurp-Techs" (short for repurpose technicians) would search the abandoned structures of Earth for any kipple left behind by the "Off-Worlders". They would then repurpose and, or resell these forgotten items to the remaining populace of Earth, or to an Off-Worlder who simply wanted a bit of kipple from their home world. In my mental travels through the universes established by Mr. Dick and Mr. Scott I came to feel that such an entity would inevitably come to exist. In the case of J.F. Sebastian, perhaps from time to time, he would add to his collection of toys by purchasing kipple from R.D.K.C., at least those items of kipple he could not find on his own. The idea of a shipping crate for his chess pieces was born out of the back story that R.D.K.C. Kipple Techs found the Bird Chess Set in an abandoned apartment of Old Paris. From their home office, at what once was "Le Musee du Centre Pompidou, the set was shipped to him in Los Angeles via suborbital transport at some time prior to the story we all know so well.

I am still very pleased with the crate design that I made in 2010. But, sometime after I completed that project, someone here at Propsummit, I believe, mentioned to me that it would be great if I could somehow incorporate a playing field for the birds into the crate. Please forgive me for not remembering who made this suggestion. I have since cleared all of my pms and no longer have a record of it, so please feel free to remind me who you are. I spent so much time developing a back story for Sebastian's Chess Set, that I overlooked such a simple element in the design of the 2010 crate and it has been bothering me ever since. Finally, I have not only gotten around to redesigning a larger crate that could have an appropriately scaled playing board on the inside of the lid, but I have also been able to make enhancements to some of the labels and add a few more graphical elements to dial it in a little closer to my back story for the set. I hope you like the newly redesigned crate.

Correction made.

www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com

Last edited by doppelganger01 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats really awesome Rick! Great job with all the little details on the crate too. I remember hearing kipple from the game, didn't know this term originated from the book. Really cool back story with the red dragon company. Everything about this project feels very authentic to the BR universe. Nice! Cool
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspirational Rick Cool When I saw the box for the first time you'd presented it here, I was simply flabergasted at the amount of back-story and details, related to it, you'd put so well together.

That's why I made the effort of finishing the bottom of the V.K., to make sure that, as the chess game, it was completely detailed even if people will not see the said details. They're there and that's what counts.
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, BeastMaster and Joberg!

www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to pick my mouth up from the floor… What a magnificent post Rick.

Bravo sir, bravo!

Highest regards
MARK

oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the newly redesigned crate (a lot). Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some great stuff Rick. You are a story teller with your work.

Andy
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Very smart crate indeed Rick. Super cool job there with the built-in chess board as well.
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all again. I am sincerely pleased that you like the revised crate.

Rick

www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing work.

Your props need to be in Movies Rick.
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
Amazing work.

Your props need to be in Movies Rick.

Thank you! That is very kind of you to say.

www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more final labels and a bit more wear and tear.

www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that Pan Am label Rick: fantastic prop Cool (and Prioritaire is now with its R Wink )
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my Rick Ross Chess Set from back in 2010. I haven't got a light-up table (maybe one day Cool ). I still have the original wooden crate.. awesomeness. And the new crate design looks pretty smart too...plus the added new playing field is a cool touch.
...I managed to get a hold of a 'Alien versus Predator' chess set for a good price...(damaged, I fixed it now). I ditched the Predator chess pieces except for the Aliens chess pieces (which I put into a display case with my other Alien stuff). I love the goth/temple style of the chess box/board and thought it would look cool with my wooden chess board and the Sebastian bird set. I painted the wood chess board with a gold trim so it looks good with the lower new polystone "temple look" AvsP base. The chess board opens up to store chess pieces if you want to. My set has the antique red chess pieces. Rick's Antique Black coloured birds would look great directly onto the 'AvsP' chess board (cool colour match). The red birds look great on the brown/reddish board I reckon. ...And yes, I use a plexiglass "dust cover" to keep the pieces minty mint clean. Here are some pics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: