FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Alien Portfolio Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brownclaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Alien Portfolio Question Reply with quote

I've got one of these signed by Mollo, but it doesn't contain the colour photos or the smaller WY Sticker....I know there are ones signed by Cobb as well but I never HEARD of this version of the portfolio....is it genuine do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ridley-Scott-Alien-Portfolio-Signed-d-Crew-Insignia-Patches-Pins-Props-/290856885575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b86bdd47
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Authentic to me. I have a Ron Cobb signed one I got many years ago, when they were still at their original price.

Andy
Mike Rush
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has signatures of both Mollo and Cobb - each man signed and numbered their own design sheet. I thought that was how it was done? Confused

"We're not heroes - we're from Finchley"
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting Mike. I've only ever seen ones signed by Ron Cobb. Never by both. Mine is originally signed by Cobb but I had John Mollo sign it at Star Wars Celebration Europe a few years back. He told me that lots of the portfolios got thrown away because they didn't sell.

Mine is missing the numbered certificate! I only know this because a friend mine bought one at the same time from the same shop and his had a certificate in. His originally had some of the panels missing (like Brownclaw) but he went back to the shop and had them replaced. They had obviously got a job lot with bits missing. This was in the early 90's. Prior to buying mine I had only ever seen one before at a comic market in the early 80's. At the time I couldn't afford it.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: BUYERS BEWARE! Reply with quote

I've seen three of these over the years. None signed.

A friend had one years ago that he let me borrow at the time to make a couple of xeroxes for a project I was working on. Some time later I finally bought one at a convention, years before the internet. I thought it was complete, but I've never seen a numbered certificate. It was authentic, as the folder was printed on that high-gloss coated stock. It had the other documents, and the original TCC patches and pins as well.

However, BEWARE, in an attempt to replace it recently, I tried to buy another at a significantly higher price. It was listed online as a "vintage" portfolio, from an older, well-known shop and was supported by a convincing photo. On opening the package I found the folder was vintage, as well as the two color sheets, but it ended there. The smaller sheets were probably photocopies, but the patches and pins were obviously recent replacements, not the original Thinking Cap Company reproductions. Possibly asian knockoffs, they were off-color and flat with almost no dimension to the stitching - obviously computer repros using some synthetic material as a backing.

I questioned the seller who allowed a return, but insisted it was all original material. I can only assume that the real contents was scavenged long ago. So, either they didn't know their product or they depend on ignorant customers. Exclamation

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that FYI Dave
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can patches made cheaply in every town. no reason to be sent over seas. Most print shops have them and they are cheap enough for small businesses to own. So no surprise that many of them are fake as probably are the pins as well. I am sure they sold better than the larger more expensive sets, and were sold individually. Intergalactic had tons of them and has never run out of stock.

Andy
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw my friend recently who had the certificate with his Alien Portfolio.

Well it turns out he doesn't!

All a figment of my imagination by the looks of things. So I must have seen something else. What, we couldn't remember.

So apologies for the misinformation.

Colin
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: