FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Typo on beer cans?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm particularly fond of Alien, Blade Runner, Outland, Aliens and Alien 3.
Prometheus was so-so and Resurrection was a criminal act that should never have gotten to the novel stage, let alone have millions spent on a screen version.
Have you folks seen resurrection?
One of the main characters gets the ole alien bite in the back of the head, yet before dying, he still is able to reach back and pull a part of his gray matter around and inspect it Rolling Eyes
Made me wonder what age range they were aiming for.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible since the brain doesn't feel pain...then again the head part of your body should Very Happy ...yes, that was for the effect of it and nothing else.
While I liked Resurrection for its sets, props and model-making, the story was meh...
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" but we couldn't use "Leyland-Toyota" in the film. Changing one letter gave me "Weylan," and "Yutani" was a Japanese neighbor of mine. ”
—Ron Cobb,

Merely changing one letter would give you Weyland. Has he been misquoted here?

This is important stuff!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnag wrote:
SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
...That's with I consider both films as part of the same universe... the "METAL HUTRLANT universe", one could say.

Absolutely! I agree, and would argue to a small extent that Outland should be in there too.

You're right, totally forgot about OUTLAND but it perfectly connects to the world developed by the first ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER !

Cool

pnag wrote:

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
I will add that Prometheus wasn't influenced at all by METAL HURLANT, ... that's why it's so boring (even from a visual POV)...

Personally, I disagree with you there. I loved that the vast majority of the Prometheus sets were built, 'real' and not CG, and could see the Alien influences everywhere on the Prometheus vessel - just to my mind it was a scientific expedition and not 'truckers in space', hence the smoother edges and better technology. It did look a bit too clean, but I thought it was the most visually striking sci-fi movie I had seen in years. Again, just personally Smile

Don't get me wrong - I think Alien and Blade Runner knock pretty much everything else into a cocked hat! I just thought it was nice to see a sci-fi movie that didn't rely on a toy line and a PG-13 or under rating. It was hardly flawless, but I found it thought provoking enough.

I agree, it was great to see real sets and not CGI. The new pristine direction didn't bothered me, I understood they had to try something different. Everything was well designed and built, you could feel the great efficiency and professionalism of the amazing Shepperton teams of artists and craftsmen on every single Prometheus frame... I also liked all the references to the first ALIEN and even the ill-fated DUNE project by Alejandro Jodorowsky...but that's not what disappointed me from a visual POV.

No, what really disppointed me was that I was expecting more / better from the director who gave us ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER. I was expecting a new masterpiece and only got the usual Hollywood summer thing instead.
Was I expecting too much ?
Yes.
Was it my fault ?
certainly, because of what I just said above... and maybe no, because the marketing campaign was far better than the film itself !

Prometheus wasn't bad visually speaking, it was just boring imho. Boring because it looked like all these SciFi films we saw these last years and all the ones that are about to hit the screens in the upcoming years. Same old, same old... and that's not how I remember ALIEN, this one was a complete SHOCK comparable to the first STAR WARS. That's why I said that to me it didn't break new ground... but again I was maybe expecting too much from Sir Rid this time.

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:

While I liked Resurrection for its sets, props and model-making, the story was meh...

I agree JB, the production design wasn't bad at all but ALIEN RESURRECTION really sucks as a film, to me it's just a prequel to AVP.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art-Deckard: you've a valid point here about the prononciation of the word Weylan vs Weyland...but someone, at a certain time should've raised the issue and who made the artwork for Alien? Logos, text, etc...
Yep, most of it was Cobb, so if the "Leyland - Toyota" was his, then Confused

Unless I'm completely wrong and someone else did the logo and made a booboo Rolling Eyes
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some fantastic design elements in Alien: Resurrection for sure. I am still amazed at the calibre of directors that tetralogy of films managed to secure. Too bad it doesn't represent the best work of the latter two directors...

Fred: while I enjoyed Prometheus more than you did, I really agree with your assessment. It doesn't stand out from the crowd the way we hoped it would. Honestly i think the "Happy Birthday David8" viral video was the most visionary aspect of the whole production. Too bad it wasn't part of the movie!

Here's a question: if Alien is part of the Blade Runner universe, does that make Jonsey a replicant?!?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article N - 4207a stipulate that Weylan - Yutani Corp allows real animals to be transported with crew only in Long - Haul Voyages (LHV).
List of LHV is provided upon request.

The crew/staff has to be carefull to put the animal in hypersleep with the necessary Pod - Unit to ensure the safety of said animal and that of the crew.
List of Pod - Unit Models provided upon request.

Wink
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrogarde wrote:
Honestly i think the "Happy Birthday David8" viral video was the most visionary aspect of the whole production. Too bad it wasn't part of the movie!

I 100% agree !
Brownclaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Article N - 4207a stipulate that Weylan - Yutani Corp allows real animals to be transported with crew only in Long - Haul Voyages (LHV).
List of LHV is provided upon request.

The crew/staff has to be carefull to put the animal in hypersleep with the necessary Pod - Unit to ensure the safety of said animal and that of the crew.
List of Pod - Unit Models provided upon request.

Wink

Did you make that up or is it from somewhere LOL
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made that up Brownclaw I thought that there was no need to put Jonesy in hypersleep if it was an artificial animal Wink

I always thought that his "cage/pod" could be plugged in to a hypersleep machine (no need to take it with you in your pod, as you can see in the starting sequence in Alien, Jonesy is nowhere to be seen).

Besides, I thought it was a good HR strategy coming from the Corp; having a real animal aboard long-haul transports could bring some confort to the crew (I mean, you're already living with androids and stuff, why make the animal another machine?)
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrogarde: I'm with you and Fred on that one: best viral video for Prometheus Cool I think that that side of the story could've been developped further, specially the way David is acting aboard the ship and throughout the mission.

Maybe next time
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Retrogarde: I'm with you and Fred on that one: best viral video for Prometheus Cool I think that that side of the story could've been developped further, specially the way David is acting aboard the ship and throughout the mission.

Maybe next time

Yeah, I can't wait to see the opening scenes in Prometheus 2 with David's head roaming all alone in the Alien ship, lol !

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaw's character will play Hamlet with David's head for...I'll say in the first 20 minutes of the movie
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, poor David...I knew him well *burp*
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Shaw's character will play Hamlet with David's head for...I'll say in the first 20 minutes of the movie

She will rather play omelette with all these egg looking keys in the Engineer ship !

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownclaw wrote:
I'm with SkinJob on this - Alien, Blade Runner and Outland all occur in MY sci fi universe.

All the rest are stand alone Smile

I'm definitely a Weylan-Yutani 'purist', so yeah, imho I love ALIEN, Blade Runner, and even Outland. If people don't, or love the 'others' that's ok too
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: