FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Balaji Imperial Cigarettes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Balaji Imperial Cigarettes Reply with quote

Sorry to start a new thread, but this was pretty far into the Drinking Birds thread before it popped back up in the Blade Runner magazines thread.

So here is my recreation of the cigarette pack, in two versions with printable instructions.

[EDIT: my new versions are further down in this thread]

These are my instructions. The photos show my old hand drawn version of the logo, but the folding instructions remain exactly the same.

Extra thanks to Tom Southwell for locating the original art. If anyone else has thoughts or contributions I am certainly willing to make modifications to this prop!

It should be noted the prop fits inside the celophane wrapper of a pack of Dunhill's in case anyone wants to add that detail. The silver paper on the inside of the Dunhill pack can be glued in as well. Too bad we have no easy source for Gypsy Corn cigarettes though...

Last edited by retrogarde on Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! Well Done!

Do you mind if I include this in my CG version of the bridge and other sets?

Steve
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be honored, Starriger!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good and thank you Retrogarde for that gift and a big thanks for Tom also!
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrogarde,
First, you are welcome. Second, thank Fred for asking me to take a look for the art. It was my delight to find it for you all.

And finally, you guys (and gals, I expect) are totally amazing with your efforts in this work. You have my admiration. Retro, nice work.

TS

P.s. Before I got to Hollywood 90% of this type of work was done at Earl Hayes Press, a specialty press for movie inserts. (See the great newspaper montage in The Godfather, just one of their many films.) I have worked with them often. it is quite possible that they made Alien's cigarette pack and they may have duplicates to sell. Just a thought.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Tom, I'm sure we'll check that out
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: ALTERNATE SMOKER Reply with quote

Not to detract from Retrogarde's kind contribution here, I only offer this image to anyone who might wish to correct the blemish apparent on the "smoker's" forehead.

And this is only one interpretation. We may never know what the actual woodcut looked like before Dover placed it in their book.

HAB1!- R13
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replicant13,
I was impressed that Retro left the flaw, as that is the way it was used in Alien. It seems to go with the partly crushed package leaning naturally on the counter. Ridley would always have us scratch, or age down or muddy up the stuff we made. Star Trek is the show where every thing is clean and new. But you made a nice clean image...perhaps for an ad in Dorgon.
TS
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: ONLY AN OPTION Reply with quote

I am impressed by what Retrogarde has done here, as well. To your point, it was never my intention to replace or in any way detract from the original/s, or his contribution here. Whether or not my alternate is warranted is up to the PS viewer.

I certainly appreciate authenticity - as with others before, from the beginning in the early 90's that was the major motivation for me in my quest to create the BR magazine covers. I created 4 or 5 of those, before deciding to do my take and re-imagine all nine.

Similarly I was driven to "correct" the clipart here. One might suppose that the production art for a "real" pack of BALAJI Imperials would not have any blemishes.

Just an option.

- R13
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a simple matter for me to take this cleaned up version and add it to my prop as yet another option for folks! I won't replace mine, I'll simply create another file. Ideally this gives everyone the choice of which pack they want for their collection.

Great work on this Rep13!

To Tom's suggestion: I absolutely think there should be a Balaji advert in Dorgon magazine, and I have a photographer friend in France setting up a shoot. I'm also hoping to do an Aspen Beer photo shoot so that would be available as page filler too.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for that clean-up version. I'm on two camps here: I like the pack with the blemish, and I like the pack without it.
As Tom mentioned, the "used-look" is always utilized on a set and to be S.A. I would go, of course, with the blemish.

Retrogarde; good news on those fillers: yes on advert for Balaji and Aspen beer Cool
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Aspen beer I'm seeing a beauty shot of the Colorado Rockies with the slogan "no matter where you are, you can always get a piece of Aspen".

Or an attractive couple play fighting with the woman holding the beer can up over her head and the slogan "keep your hands of my Aspen".

I also like the WY wings and the slogan "Brewing Better Beers".
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: BEST OF BOTH WORLDS Reply with quote

I am "torn" as well, Joberg. And while authenticity is paramount, obvious imperfections task me. Nobody's perfect, nor is any art beyond criticism (right or wrong). I only offer the choice here. In other words -

"Have A BETTER One!" - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrogarde, for the photo shoot of these people, any thoughts about the costumes?
Are you going for a Prometheus look or an Alien look?
What are your thoughts about it?
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the new versions of the packaging. First, the blemished version with my added logo (top and bottom) and the optional health warning sticker:

And without the added logos:

And now the unblemished version (thanks to Replicant13) with top and bottom logos:

And without top and bottom logos:

So that's about as many variations as I can think of. I ended up using Replican13's beautifully cleaned up art even on the "blemish" versions, so these new ones replace my previous versions.
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joberg: I don't want them to look like the crew of the Nostromo, but they do need to look like they are working class. It seems in advertising cans equal blue collar and bottles equal white collar. I'm open to suggestions, I just don't want it to look like Star Trek.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far from looking like Star Trek, I was leaning more toward a Prometheus-Aliens-2001-Loopers" kinda feel (I believe this ad is on Earth)
You're right about the white/blue collars type, but who's to say that in the future, beer will be only stuck into that frame?

Maybe a jacket without the regular lapels for the man, or some sort of interesting shirt/pants/shoes combo...as for the woman, anything could be possible, as well as with hair styling and accessories (bracelet, watch, earings...).

If blue collar, maybe a kind of jacket à la David (Prometheus) and even the same kind of wardrobe for the woman?

I know, it's getting complicated for a photo shoot to put in a mag that doesn't exist but, it's the prop guy in me talking Wink
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: ALTERED VISIONS Reply with quote

Don't limit yourself to just what can be shot - there's always Photoshop.

- R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Thu May 02, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that, but it's great to have a plan behind the desire Wink
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: THE ED WOOD PHILOSOPHY Reply with quote

Or a desire behind the plan . . . - R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: