FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Modifying my Off World Blaster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christian Jones
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Modifying my Off World Blaster. Reply with quote

Hi Everyone. Here are some pix of my current projet, my Off World blaster :

First, the Off World completely disassembled :

Next, I ordered the metal Steyr receiver with the corect markings and the metal upgrade kit from Off World.
The gun was then completely cleaned from all the molding lines and some of the paint. The receiver was also striped down, back to the bare metal. As you can see in this pic. the plastic used for molding this gun is... white... Rolling Eyes . Don't understand why they didn't use black or grey plastic ? Anyway :

I also moded the side of the gun itself to make it more accurate. Here you can really see the white-light grey plastic :

The side panels, sanded down properly with steel wool. Some more cleaning was done and I also had to fill some gaps. I wanted to have clean parts but with some wear and tear on it so I left some sanding marks here and there and gave the parts a coat of grey primer and another wet sending to finish them of before painting them with Tamiya semi-flat black.
I also filled the holes on the underside of the bolt lever with putty.

All the parts prior to painting :

I also modified the Weaver knob on the Off World because it looks nothing like the knob on the WorldCon blaster. I replaced it with a screw I had lying around and that was the correct size. And since I like the movie version better :

Thanks for looking and please excuse my bad english...
More to come and also, sorry for the blury phone pix. I make them as I go.

Ozwepaie
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! I guess I don't need to be concerned w/ helping you mount
the parts you have coming.
I'm curious how you removed the "binding post"?
I do it w/ professional machines. But when someone ask how me how to,
in the average guys workshop/garage? I can only provide ideas really.
I have not had enough in my possession, to attempt different ways.
thx Oz
Christian Jones
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oz. Like you said, with a little love, this blaster can really be turned into something nice. Especialy with your parts .
Now, concerning the "binding post", it was a separtate piece on the Off Word I have. It was glued on and I simply removed it with my fingers...

Did some painting today on the receiver and I am very happy with how it looks now. Will post some pix soon.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent travail Christian (and your English is fine Wink )eager to see the rest of the transfo: keep up the good Cool
Christian Jones
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci beaucoup joberg .
Christian Jones
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more.

Parts painted semi-gloss black and bolt lever painted light gun metal (still need to weather that part) :

And the finished parts, painted and weathered. Some of them need some more weathering here and there, but I will do this when I put the gun back together.

And the part I'm especialy proud of, the receiver. I'm very happy with how it turned out. Old blued metal and lightly rusted. I will use the same method on the rest of the gun.

Now, it will be a long wait until I get the parts from Oz. I will paint some other little parts like the triggers, the cylinder and trigger guard. But I will have to instal the metal barrel on the gun before painting and before I can screw it all back together again.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking all very good (do you use spray-cans with adjustable nozzle?)
With Oz 's piece, it'll look even better.
Christian Jones
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Looking all very good (do you use spray-cans with adjustable nozzle?)
With Oz 's piece, it'll look even better.

Thanks. Nope, I'm just using normal spray cans. First, a few thin coats of Light GunMetal from Tamiya. Let dry for at least 48h. Then, a coat of Smoke and when this coat is still wet, I mist it with Gunship Grey (again, both from Tamiya) for that little blued look. Again, I let dry for about 48h before starting any weathering.
I do not use an airbrush for the base coat because I have to work fast between the coat of Smoke and the Gunship Grey

For the weathering, I use a natural sponge and a mix of Games Workshop inks (Browns and Black), acrylic rust color, acrylic Medium and water. Simply, tap the surface with the sponge until you have the look you want (work slowly).

Finaly, for metal parts, I lightly rubb the corners and lines with very fine steel wool to expost the metal. And for plastic parts, I give them a light drybrush of silver color. I use an alcohol based color from Vallejo because this alows me to work fast. Since alcohol and water don't mix, I can start drybrushing even if the wethering rust color isn't completely dry and it somethimes gives interesting mixes.

And then, a coat of semi-gloss clearcoat misted with matt clearcoat.
Christian Jones
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onle last thing I did for today, weathered the metal bud cap :

I tried to match the weathering seen on the WorldCon blaster. But instead of most people I didn't removed the chrome. Instead, I simply sprayed it with a matt vernish to dull the shine. I think this saves a lot of effort and you get the same result in the end.
Now, I'm not trying to exactly replecate Deckard's blaster, just a random Blade Runner blaster that has been well used and well cared for.

For the black I used barbecue paint. First time I used this stuff and I love it. It's used to repaint old barbecues so you get a paint that resists to a lot of abuse (took me about 30 min to scratch it of).
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great technique for sure; love the "going by layer" feel
You're right about barbecue paint: very easy to use, resist the use and abuse of every day life. I think that this paint should be used on guns for cosplay: you can un-holster your gun many times before that paint will come off Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: