FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Tom Southwell Q & A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom

Thank you kindly for your reply. I completely understand. Please be assured, I was simply being curious.

And for those photos; I can be extremely patient!

Thank you again for having the patience and generosity to share with us.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

A couple of questions that have come up before that I hope you may be able to help with are, is there a way of finding a shooting schedule for the film? The date and order in which scenes were shot so we get an idea the evolution of the props and their usage.

Also, I know you said no more questions about "The Bottle", but this is about a bottle in Deckard's apartment we have already identified, but I am curious to know if you recognize the label artwork at all, and if it is something you did?

http://propsummit.com/upload/127/mysterious_bottle.jpg

Thank you so much again for all your support and camaraderie.

Andy
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
May the 4th be with you.
(just heard the producer of the next Star Wars use that joke.)

The bottle in your photo is not anything I can help you with. Sorry.
However:
It is possible a bottle at The White Dragon has a label borrowed from
The glass of the Spinner: clear with red circles and Asian writing,
But I'm not totally sure of that either.
TS
Banzai88
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom--I've been away for a while but really enjoying this thread. As already stated, this info is invaluable to us. Now do I have to start a new forum to get this kind of detail for Buckaroo Banzai?
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Buckaroo Banzai Reply with quote

Banzai88,
So that is why you have that name!

I did most of the graphics there but we best ask Tom and Andy how to address your question.

The Buckaroo stops here,
TS
Banzai88
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Buckaroo Banzai Reply with quote

Laughing No worries. I realize this is not the place for BB. If I have a specific query I will PM you. Thanks Tom.

Tom Southwell wrote:
Banzai88,
So that is why you have that name!

I did most of the graphics there but we best ask Tom and Andy how to address your question.

The Buckaroo stops here,
TS

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckaroo Banzai is always welcome here. At least in the Coffee shop or in non-BR props. A personal favorite film of mine too.

Andy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. LOVE Buckaroo Banzai.

Tom, I'd also like to add a great big thank you for doing this.

My questions for you is, did you have anything to do with designing the fan club kit? It's one of my favorite pieces of memorabilia from blade runner.

Attaching scans of it, in case by some chance you have not seen it before.

And apologies if someone else asked this already. I scanned through the thread and didn't see it.

Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never got the fan club stuff so THAT was a treat!
Banzai88
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see these fan club items.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS that great material with us Noeland; quite elaborate for a fan club Cool
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland,
No. Sorry about that. I did some of the logos that appear on those pages
but someone else did a fine job on the fan club stuff. Thanks for sharing.

(I was in The Beatles fan club, and the Monkees fan club back in the day.)
TS
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom
Hope you are keeping well. I wonder if you could confirm any scenes were filmed at EMI Studios. I have paperwork that says that Deckards apartment and Zhoras changing room were filmed there. If they were I just wondered why they would need to move off the lot. Also I have found out that Michael S Glick was brought in as early as 1980 to go through the budget and scenes and in fact recommended deleting items that he said would not hurt the look of the film. I think this may of been the reason Stan Winston Studios did not get the job of the mechanical special effects. This was communication between Michael and another producer Jeff Young. I am not sure what the connection was to him.
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: EMI Studios / Mike Glick Reply with quote

Ridleyville,
I am fine thanks, and hope you are too.
If you are speaking about EMI Studios in England then I can't confirm or deny. The principal photography for Blade Runner was all done in Southern California, with exteriors shot at night. The studio was The Burbank Studios which is now The Warner Bros. Studios. Deckards apartment and Zhoras dressing room were shot on stages there, however, I know there was some postproduction filming done in England to fill in gaps that Ridley Scott and the Editor saw when the film came together. If EMI studios is a music recording studio then it is possible some music was recorded there.

The only scene I'm sure was shot in London is Deck entering Leon's bath room , flipping on the buzzing light, and reaching into the bathtub to collect the snake scale. It is possible some VK and Esper close ups were shot at EMI but I wasn't there and can't confirm. Sorry.

I have worked with Mike Glick a few times but would need to do research to recall exactly where. Since money was a problem, ( and it always is) creative people often discuss with money management executives just what to cut. It is very likely Mike Glick was that person but these would be discussions way above my pay grade, (as would be discussions about Stan Winston and his team.)

Sorry I can't be more help. You need a guy in a bigger office.
Stay well,
TS
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom...about the Tyrell tile you'd photographed ( 14 7/8th inches square).
Would it be possible to take a pic of it on a 3/4 angle and on a flat surface?
It's quite a complicated geometric design Confused and I want to make sure I understand it better before attempting to reproduce it.
Thanks in advance
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joberg,
I'll try to get that for you this weekend.
Been busy lately.
TS
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy that Tom, no worries
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From someone uneducated in such areas, reading about everyones artistic influences and following up on them has been very cool.

Somebody say Banzai? Will get it organised and start a thread. Cool

roboterkampf
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Canson Vidalon. Perfect plasticized paper to use with Rapidographs - a wonderful paper.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and reference materials! Here's what I have questions about:

What was your goal when designing things like this? Were you going for pure visual/geometry?

Stuff like this - just pulled from graphic art supply flotsam and jetsam (like the Dover books) to add texture, yes?

What were these generated for?

So of course you influence the heck out of any one making Blade Runner props and models. I made a blimp model, and had the good fortune of getting scans from the film positives made to generate the photoetch sheets. I then redrew them in Illustrator for photoetching (since no one wants analog any more, ugh). Did you make the art for these? Looks like Rapidograph and graphic tape was used originally.

Here's that stuff in action - and your White Dragon logo (and a few others) were decoupaged to the blimp where I was missing exact reference. Had to keep it "in universe" ya know?

Here's scans of some pics that were purported to be in the film - do you have any idea if that is true?

And then, if you don't mind me sharing, I made a fake magazine and a whole bunch of paper props to flesh out my display case. Monies were printed on linen paper and metallic foils were applied, along with custom made stamps. We go all out! The Tyrell stock certificate was fun, and the stamp art is for a Deckard Passort I am still noodling around with making...

I made a bank card, and Mike Jenkins made AWESOME Blimp cards for me!

Thanks again for the inspiration!

[/img]
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roboterkampf wrote:
Wow! Canson Vidalon. Perfect plasticized paper to use with Rapidographs - a wonderful paper.

Dear roboterkampf ,

Vidalon is the paper Sherman Labby, storyboard artist of BR, used with a dipped pen and India ink, then toned with a charcoal pencil sharpened with a razor blade . The paper has a curious surface that is nice and smooth for ink but not too smooth for charcoal. It comes in various weights but he used the very heaviest which was very expensive. I would watch him work and try to learn his tricks which he gladly shared. Still looking for my prised photos of him at work. (Fred)

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and reference materials! Here's what I have questions about:

What was your goal when designing things like this? Were you going for pure visual/geometry?

I mentioned we were all under the spell of A L I E N for the first part of our journey on BR. These "red snowflakes" are a direct re-imagining of those wonderful corduroy walls in the ship from Alien. I made many graphic patterns some on grid paper in black and white then xeroxed them and added the color with color Prisma pencils. I thought they could be cop patches, logos, even neons. Lawrence G Paull and David L Snyder would suggest places to use them if SRS liked them.

Stuff like this - just pulled from graphic art supply flotsam and jetsam (like the Dover books) to add texture, yes?
[img]http://www.roboterkampf.com/roboterkampf/misc/br/BR-
TS340.jpg[/

In a word... Yes. These pieces are from a sheet of graphics 11 inches by 17 inches that I made in black on white but were printed on at least six different colors including ScotchLite, the stop sign reflective material. They were cut into various sizes and shapes and put into a folio for SRS to personally decorate any part of a set he wanted this kind of detail.
His marching orders were "dripping with f---ing graphics". This would help him get this done. The "oe" logo I did in art school (OtisEscalator).

What were these generated for?

The T with a dot above was one of many sketches for a logo for Tyrell Corp. (which started out as Nekko Corp.) meant to imply a man. Not all that different from a man symbol on the Nostromo (a line with a dot).

The yellow dots and shield design came from the pages of Moebius. He used them on helmets and hats. I couldn't use these today without a ream of legal papers or months in court but back then I could call Gir and ask if it was ok. The shield got stretched horizontally and altered a bit more and was used on the nose of the Megatrans Bus. Gir seemed pleased about that one.

So of course you influence the heck out of any one making Blade Runner props and models. I made a blimp model, and had the good fortune of getting scans from the film positives made to generate the photoetch sheets. I then redrew them in Illustrator for photoetching (since no one wants analog any more, ugh). Did you make the art for these? Looks like Rapidograph and graphic tape was used originally.

No. All that work was done at EEG (EntertainmentEffectsGroup) the company run by Douglas Trumble. A few of my graphics and neons ended up on the blimp.
The blimp, I have heard, is mostly the work of master miniature artist Michael C McMillen who's work can be seen in museums and fine art galleries. While I have no information on the pieces you show here, I do know that illustrator Tom Cranham, and designer and miniature artist Chris Ross both made these kind of drawings for acid etched pieces over at EEG.

Here's that stuff in action - and your White Dragon logo (and a few others) were decoupaged to the blimp where I was missing exact reference. Had to keep it "in universe" ya know?

Here's scans of some pics that were purported to be in the film - do you have any idea if that is true?

Sorry but I don't recognize these. Linda DeScenna, set decorator, was likely the one to bring these, or prop master Terry Lewis. They might be from their family albums. But I can't say for sure.

And then, if you don't mind me sharing, I made a fake magazine and a whole bunch of paper props to flesh out my display case. Monies were printed on linen paper and metallic foils were applied, along with custom made stamps. We go all out! The Tyrell stock certificate was fun, and the stamp art is for a Deckard Passort I am still noodling around with making...

I made a bank card, and Mike Jenkins made AWESOME Blimp cards for me!

Thanks again for the inspiration! (You are very welcome.)

[/img]

Of course I don't mind any of your work. I'm glad you have found some fun doing art that links you to BR.

As a kid I did illustrations of the rooms of "I Love Lucy " on shirt cardboards from my dad and sent them to Lucille Ball in Hollywood.
"She" wrote back..." stay in school" ... on a glossy 8x10 of her face.

I did get to see her perform live filming "Mame" many years later.

Please keep up the good work, but I won't say stay in school,
TS
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 17 of 22

Jump to: