FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Upcoming Syd Mead talk and book signing Atlanta Aug 28th

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BR12819
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Upcoming Syd Mead talk and book signing Atlanta Aug 28th Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I happened to be at the High Museum in Atlanta for their dream car exhibit. When I noticed on their calender that the one and only Syd Mead will be there to give a talk regarding his work, he will also be doing a book signing immediately following.

I thought I'd let you guys know here's the info:

http://www.high.org/Programs/Programs/Events/2014-Events/Lectures/Syd-Mead-082814.aspx

Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I was in Atlanta!...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS the info BR12819; if you go say hello from the Propsummit gang
Fangorn81
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah sweet.

Joah Mahan
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw and met him about 7-8 years ago at the Rochester Institute of technology and he was very accommodating to talking to people and signing stuff. we ended up talking with him for over an hour before and after. I just wish I wasn't so star struck at the time I could have actually thought of something interesting to actually ask him. Wink I hope you get the chance to meet with him too.

Maybe we should think of some questions here that we could ask and have someone going do an interview for the forum here?

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Andy! Cool
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: CAR DREAMS Reply with quote

I too am envious. I've often wished I lived in a city where such events were more possible. Mr. Mead has become such an icon of both the auto and film industries over the years.

With companies such as Mattel®(Hot Wheels™) and Lego® having shown interest in Mr. Mead's creations, I have wondered why more of Mr. Mead's creations have not licensed in the U.S. over the years.

The limited release of the Blade Runner set and more recently his sleek, futuristic "Police Sedan" are but a small sample.

And some version of the Lego Spinner presented to Mr. Mead himself by Lego would be a welcome kit. Perhaps this is just another example of a BR licensing problem(?)

Best wishes today, from all of his fans here! ..Have A Better One! - Replicant 13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the licensing, I hope that the launching of BR2 will ease/erase some of those problems... Confused
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem with BR licensing is that the 'Blade Runner Partnership' isn't really a "Partnership". It is two separate guys (Bud Yorkin, and Jerry Perenchio) That have their own separate million/billion dollar businesses, that really only teamed up to help finance and complete the movie a long time ago, and now own the rights as a pair. Because their businesses are lucrative enough they really will only deal with big fish deals, and don't have the time to deal with a bunch of smaller licensing deals. Only a company such as Time Warner that stands to make millions off of the deal has the ability to pay the licensing fees, and get the meeting with two guys that really don't have the time to sit down in the same room with each other unless it is for millions of dollars.

Also as far Syd Mead and Blade Runner licensing, there is also a relatively limited market for the stuff since it mostly an adult cult fan base. So product is usually done in smaller runs at a higher price. Also, (with us being a small exception) most of the fans of the film and Syd's work there aren't too many adults collecting toys, unless they are of a special quality. Japan does seem to be a bit of an exception, but even there the stuff can not be considered "popular" amongst the larger population, and still a limited cult fan base. It seems the great deal of Blade Runner fans are happy just to have the movie. Nothing like Star Wars fans it seems.

I do still see a market for the stuff, especially the combined fan base of the film and Syd Mead. I would love to see a series of large scale die-cast Syd Mead vehicles, but they would have to cost an arm and a leg. maybe the way to get the BR license it to create a marketing firm that can piece out licenses to a lot of small companies while getting a blanket license to cover all the different projects without over marketing and watering down the license. I have wondered, especially after seeing Jerry interviewed in the Dangerous Days doc, that he was protecting the license to keep its integrity, perhaps to sell it someday. Maybe right after the new film comes out, we may see some major deals in hopes of reviving the license which has peaked a while back.

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: LICENSING AGREEMENT Reply with quote

Agreed, Andy.

BR is a very limited market, especially after all these years. And you've defined what is no doubt the big roadblock. I do often wonder how studios determine just what should be licensed. It took Paramount years to acknowledge a real market for Trek. Lucas changed that thinking.

More to the subject here, I think a line of Syd Mead's high-concept designs would appeal to a larger audience.

- R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: