FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
replica blaster history and timeline. Last updated 3/2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocd
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Thks for the complement!

I COULDN"T have done it with out all YOUR hard work.
(OR all the REST of the members who's photo's were used for that matter)

If you have some shots of the correct (or tell me were I can find them on this site) holsters I will swap them out.

Here is a revised version with your latest data and corrected MiM photos witch I know are MiM as I bought this from MiM in 02 (?) and just sold it to a collector in Switzerland recently.

(Also corrected some dyslexic typo's of my own) PKD instead of PDK. Dh'o!

Enjoy!

Best regards,
ocd

http://propsummit.com/upload/949/blr_gunglossary_faq_vrs0712a.pdf

http://propsummit.com/upload/949/blr_gunglossary_faq_vrs0712b.pdf

http://propsummit.com/upload/949/blr_gunglossary_faq_vrs0712c.pdf

"Questions?,..."
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I have figured out Monsters in Motion had not made their own version of the guns. They sold other people's versions including the original resin "Offworld" gun versions, and now the Tomenosuke. They also sold Rick's PKD's and a few others. It is also possible they had also recast some of the early resin kits to meet demand. They were the first to pre-sell and show off the prototype "Offworld" factory made model. The prototype actually showed up at the same Worldcon as the Hero gun in 2006.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see what I have...I need to update the timeline here with pictures myself.

Andy
ocd
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

The one that I am showing on pg 15 was one of the first versions MiM sold in (02? bad memory) it was/is an all resin kit with all internal
working parts & lighting components. I did NOT light it.
At the time I did not have a clue on how to do it. Nor was I able to get the trigers to function. The resin would not hold up to the stress so I built it as static.

The internal cylinder swings out and rotates, along with the cocking side bolt being able to slide. Most of the 3 mm hex head screws are real.

As many other enthusiast did I'm sure, when Mr Tate photographed the "REAL" one I re painted it to match as close as possible.
Along with adding the side wiring, lower ammo light, green LED, etc. It is slightly smaller than an Offworld, plus the handle is on more of an angle with a closer fit to the body of the blaster.

At this point I think it looks ALOT like one of the early Coyle blasters they possibly used as a model to work from. Just guessing on my part.

As to just were MiM acquired it to sell,..?? So it IS a MiM version.

When I bought it at the time I did not know much about the BLDR history etc. Having joined your BLDR site that has changed for the better.

On a side note, this MiM Blaster was imported to Switzerland and was/is registered as a firearm due to Swiss customs restrictions.
Go figure.

Keep up the outstanding job you are doing w/ propsumit .com.

Thank you!

Best regards,
ocd

"Questions?,..."
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update jiggity jig

Last edited by hirohawa on Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for slacking on this guys. Unfortunately most of my research was on a laptop that died. I also had major life shifts that made it impossible to keep up with all the new blasters, especially with all the Tomenosuke, Elfin Knights, and also 3D printed blasters we have now. Not to mention with the sequel film, we seem to have so many more fans getting into this. I hope to get back into this at some point, and haven’t completely given up. I am happy to see others taking the torch on this as well and continuing it in their own ways. This was always a work in progress and hopefully an inspiration to others. Hoping to get access to my old hard drive some time too, and it may reignite my passion once again. Thank you all for keeping it all going.

Andy
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only recently heard about this thread an I apologize for not keeping up.

There are a few details that could (probably should) be added to this story.

I am Masao Carrington. I apprenticed under Richard Coyle back in 1990.

While I had my own skill set as a sculptor and model maker, I had no idea about casting models. At the time, resin casting was considered a sacred-secret-for-guild-members-only type of tech. I jumped at the chance to learn this capability.

In 1989 I first met Richard at a convention in Arizona. At that time, he had his early "ratty" version of the Blade Runner on the table.

It stayed that way for years. He was enthusiastic about his Cadillac of Phasers and didn't want to "proud it up too much" since that would somehow detract from the provenance of the prop. Keep in mind it already had a light installed.

The Ratty version had a metallic painted grip and was called ratty because of the bubbled diamond pattern of the grips. It was a mess, but it was far closer than the Oz kit of a few years before. At the time, I suggested that Richard improve the details, but he rejected the idea.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first time suggesting the improvements.

Shortly thereafter I was building the non trek items, since Richard wanted total control of the trek props. After all, he was at one time the Lincoln Enterprises' prop maker.

Lincoln Enterprises was the Roddenberry merchandising department of the Roddenberry empire.

The Blade Runner blaster was one of many projects we worked on. Eventually, Richard relented and would occasionally add improvements to the blaster. He was not enthusiastic at this juncture, but the ratty versions needed improvements desperately. One of the big issues was the broken triggers. They were plastic reinforced by brass plate. The were too delicate for anything but the lightest touch. Richard had no serious metal capabilities at that time. Everything was resin cast in house or cast in metal at a local spincaster.

Minimal improvements were made at this time.

With the release of the 1993 director's cut. Everything started to change.

The blaster was finally visible for the first time. Clearer than laserdisc, the video clearly showed detail never seen before and the replcas now had a new higher bar to clear.

Ironically, we were probably the first to show a Blade Runner blaster at Worldcon... but in 1993.

Last edited by Masao on Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 1995 I was working with Dabar/Anubis Productions and not affiliated with Richard on any regular basis.

It was around this time, he had his issues with paramount/viacom.

Looking for a new focus for his work away from trek. After reviewing the sales potential for the other items, he began to focus on Blade Runner coincidentally getting backing from Phil S.

It took all that and us to get Richard on the path to the 2006 Worldcon Blade Runner.

The journey had finally begun.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 1999 I returned and worked with Richard again. He had acquired a few new people to help him in new projects.

The blaster had gone through some changes including a light and sound model and rumors of someone working in metal that may have started with one if Richard's blasters.

After working about another year, I soon had other obligations out of town and could not stay to see how things would turn out.

I finally returned in 2003 and many things had changed. Richard was working in metal. He had made a deal with some guy in Italy to collaborate on getting an accurate blaster made of metal. As it would turn out, this new guy was Sid of Sid Kits. They disagreed about how many parts should be metal vs plastic but they worked to get the models as accurate as possible.

I noticed an advertisement about Worldcon LA around then. I suggested we should go. Richard insisted that since it was so close to the studios, there wouldn't be much to see.

The next year I suggested that since it was so close, we should go to Worldcon LA. He saw no reason to go even out of curiosity.

In 2005 I had go out of town again for family issues. I ended up staying for a year to take of things. I suggested again considering going to Worldcon even if I couldn't.

In 2006 I got a call from Richard: he asked me to guess where he was.

I was too preoccupied to get the answer. He was in LA, at Worldcon, looking at the real blaster. He had gotten a call from Karl Tate and they were snapping pictures of the one and only.

I reminded him of my suggestion and he dismissed it as I "couldn't have known" .

I still suggested it but okay, nevermind.

When I finally returned we pored over the pics and started picking out all the errors and omissions of the past 24 years. The blaster that he started with, his actual Steyr receiver, my copy of the stunt blaster and every reference was less than completely reliable. But now we finally had it!

The result was the C&S Worldcon blaster. Technically, it should have been the CC&S blaster, but whatever. Richard was never one to give proper recognition to his "helpers".

In the following years, new revisions and versions would come out, but the Worldcon was the first in metal that would inspire Tomemasuke and others to copy.

I know the controversy and I've seen the evidence. I know what happened while I was there. I cannot speak for the other issues, but I know what I know.

And I know it was, in part, our hard work that in some small way contributed to the existence of 2049.

If you have a Coyle, I may have worked on it.

Last edited by Masao on Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this fills some of the gaps in our part of the story.

I no longer work with Richard Coyle nor have any contact with him since 2018.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Masao for that history and behind the scene of what happened during all of those years. Cool
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Thanks Masao for that history and behind the scene of what happened during all of those years. Cool

No problem.

I didn't keep many records so this is all from memory. I am sure Coyle has much more documentation about specifics, but I doubt I am included in those. After over 25 years he still had trouble pronouncing my name.
Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: