Forum Index      Log in  Register
4 Inch Spinner
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

like some of you, I also got a miniature spinner; (Ebay, seller "seemed" honest). Difficult to say if it's genuine. The cast is pretty clean. The resin has turned a bit yellow. There are very few air bubbles. I also got a canopy (uncut).

Concerning the Propstore Lot from the recent auction (10/16/2014) : I think it is the same miniature spinner that was sold some years ago at Screen Used. (don't know when exactly, but I downloaded the images end 2012; it isn't anymore in the Screen Used archive today)
But you can see the watermarks.

Screen Used item :

Compare to the Propstore lot 43 : (check the "marks" at the bottom)

It has to be the same because the "scratches" at the bottom match exactly.

On the Screen Used photos, the canopy is intact.

So, what's the story here ???? The owner damaged (a child played with it ?) the model (look at the rear, and the canopy has a crack) ; and then sold it ?
That's weird. How did someone manage to crack the canopy, by the way ? It's much less "breakable" than resin....

And apparently, some of the models have been painted by production :

In Cinefex 9 (or the re-issue "Blade Runner - The Inside Story"), on page 29, we can read :
[Mark Stetson speaking]
The next one [spinner size to be produced by the model shop] to be completed was about four inches long.
It, too, had a full interior, but no figures.
Unfortunately, it saw very limited use in the movie.
The original plan was to build a fleet of those, so we cast up about twenty of them.
Only one or two were ever finished, though, and those just sat in the background on some of the later cityscape scenes.

I guess some models were intended for filming, but very few were indeed used. And then lots were transformed into "crew gifts".

What do you think ?

Last edited by Pierre990429 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
R.A.M.
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, that casting is in amazing condition! It's very clean.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks like it is at least cast from an original mold or near 2nd gen recast. The older ones were white though and turned yellow inconsistently depending on light exposure, so they seemed more blotchy. This looks like a newer resin. I was wrong before about the white resins, but all the originals were yellowed by age and time in uneven patterns unless they were kept in archival dark box Wink. The cleanliness and sharpness of the detail means this is very close to first generation cast though. The molds themselves may not have survived being rubber, but no matter what the origin of this is I am very jealous of it Wink

Andy
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the appreciation, Andy! Smile

Well, back in 2012, the seller said he found it in a box (with the uncut canopy) and had forgotten about it : he told that he acquired it in ~1988 from someone (a "friend") who had worked in the movie...

In the Ebay listing, this seller really wanted to explain how the photos had been taken and that the resin was yellow and not white - because other people had asked about this. In "real", like in the sun, when I watch the spinner, it is as a matter of fact less "white" than on my photos.

What do you think about the "ScreenUsed to Propworx thing", concerning the recent auction ? (from my first post)
Pretty weird, eh ? It really must be the same model, but it has been damaged... (canopy, rear) Exclamation
R.A.M.
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre990429 wrote:

What do you think about the "ScreenUsed to Propworx thing", concerning the recent auction ? (from my first post)
Pretty weird, eh ? It really must be the same model, but it has been damaged... (canopy, rear) Exclamation

I think it's wierd how they are reselling the same one. And the scratches and everything match up! And apparently the model didn't sell in the auction. Also what is the cockpit made from?

R.A.M.
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed Propstore's auction. The spinner went till £850, but there was a reserve of 1000.

My canopy is made with some thermoformed transparent plastic. It's not soft like a plastic cover (on a book or in a binder), but it's not totally rigid either. The "canopy part" itself is harder than the outside (see my photos); I guess it could break if you smash it hard enough....
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveG,

Yu have no idea how envious I am of your spinner. In a good way of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: