FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
replica blaster history and timeline. Last updated 3/2013
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: replica blaster history and timeline. Last updated 3/2013 Reply with quote

I have been a collector of BR stuff for more than 20 years and have been scrapbooking information on all things blade runner as well. In the process of getting pictures of blaster replica's I started to make my own identification guides and such. I also got thinking about the evolution of the blaster replicas since the movie was first shown up to now and after the worldcon hero pics. I own several replicas myself including a Rick Ross PKD2, Rich Coyle early cast from a stunt gun with lights in the barrels, A Coyle stunt kit(simple piece) unbuilt and a BU C&Sv3. I have been talking to both Rich and Rick about their creations and inspirations on a regular basis. My first introduction to the BR blaster replica was at a star trek convention in the mid eighties and I saw either a OZ Shop or Marco kit, but didn't have the funds with me to buy it. Somehow as I was gathering info on the different replicas I was encouraged to try and put together an essay(so to speak) or weblog article about the Blasters history and especially a timeline showing the guns and there relationships to each other. I am looking for information on any and all blaster replicas but especially those of any notability. Information about the creators(I hope to talk to them personally if possible) and their inspirations on the gun. I am only at the begining stages of this but am having a lot of fun with it so I hope I can keep up the energy on it to get it to a completed form that everybody can enjoy. Thank you all in advance for any information you can help me with,

andy

Last edited by andy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:38 am; edited 10 times in total
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

I will see what I can dig up myself for you, and possibly try and get some contact info for you or contact some people that might be able to help.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich has some pics on his website.
http://www.racprops.com/issue4/projectbr_pt1/

I have also been trying to work up a time line and "essay" on the blaster replicas and thier creators including which models were cast from and or inspired by other models already out there.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
Rich has some pics on his website.
http://www.racprops.com/issue4/projectbr_pt1/

I have also been trying to work up a time line and "essay" on the blaster replicas and their creators including which models were cast from and or inspired by other models already out there.

Thanks Noeland,

I Have talked to Rich and seen his site. It was one of my first resources. I hope I can talk to you about it as well. I have always admired your collection and work since I first saw it on the RPF and here. I will share any information with you I might have that you don't.

andy
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Marco Blade Runner. Love my Rick Ross's and I think I have at least 4 RACs Also have a number of others that I am unaware of origin of builder. Preparing to do images of all the built ones I have.

What does the OZ have as tells/ i have one blaster that has no lettering or stamping anywhere. Not sure if it was all filled or just produced that way.

Hope to have images by end of month.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of my pictures of Marco and Oz shop guns look very close except the grip buttplates are different sizes. the oz shop one seems oversized and the marco version is cut down and flairs out at the bottom. The left and right cylider "cheeks" on both seem symetrical as compaired to the "more accurate" models with the cutout for the bolt handle to rest inside. They are as far as I know the first models I could find with the 4 LED lights an the clip. Both seem to appear in the early to mid 80's and are still copied today.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Latest draft of the timeline, holes, inaccuracies and all. let me know what you all think or can add. All feedback is welcome, and I request corrections and any inaccuracies to be pointed out. I also would welcome anybody who's info I place in here to request privacy if they prefer it. Please feel free to PM me here at propsummit...

Updates in Cyan 2007
Updates in Red 2008
Updates in Violet 2009
Updates in Orange 2010
Updates in Green 2011
Updates in Yellow 2013

Blade Runner: Deckard’s Gun and its Replicas Timeline

EARLY 80’s
1980-1982: The film was in production and after several rejected ideas (including a Syd Mead design that was mistaken for a phone, and a conversion of a Cop 4 barrell derringer designed by Stephen Dane) .The final “Hero” gun was built from a combination of an Austrian Steyr SL .222 sniper rifle and Charter Arms .44 Bulldog pistol by an unaccredited gun smith. After an early version of this “Hero” was made, a mold was made from it to make “Stunt dummy” rubber versions of the gun that were used in some action scenes and by police extras in the film. The Hero was then modified additionally to fit Harrison Ford’s hand and to make it more “weathered”, or at least more visable on camera, and not so dark. After the movie was finished the “Hero” gun disappeared from the public eye but a number of different “stunt” castings made it into the hands of the crew and later into private hands.

1982-?:The first reproductions of this gun were made from the stunt castings and a few “one-ups” were made by fans that sat through the movie multiple times and by obtaining available press material.
1982(?*)-1986: Maybe the first mass produced fan envisioned version of the gun was the Oz Shop Gun from Japan, made by Seiji Takahashi and Nobuo Chiba. It was a multi-piece kit that also came with light up LEDs. It also became one of the most “recasted” kits of all time, and still is to this day. Though the date on the instructions says "1982 Blade Runner Partnership", it may have just been copying the date and copyright info off of the book and video tape. However, I have talked to owners of the kit that purchased them in 1983 or 1984. Making this the first original reproduction kit manufactured of the gun known as of yet. Another date found on the instructions say "1986". Not sure if it is an edition date or based on the original run. Some details on the gun also show that it might have used the magazine housing from a Steyr SSG as reference.
1984: Ryosuke Takagi (creator of Elfin Knights Project) made his first version out of paper, plastic and wood, without much in the way of any reference at all.

Mid 80’s
1985-early 90s: Richard Coyle obtains castings off of a stunt version was able to make upgraded versions with lights (including a red light in the top Steyr barrel) and then in the Early 90’s he added sound effect electronics. Others did similar things at a later date such as the Jupiter Production Model (later believed to have been recast off one of Richard's also recasted stunt versions), but Richard’s versions helped begin his career as “Mr. Blade Runner”.
1986: Ryosuke Takagi (of Elfin Knights Project) made a couple more versions using MGC M93R airsoft pistols as the base. These were not verry accurate, and also very large in scale. Especially the grips on the first "1986A" with grips added over the top of the airsoft ones, and measuring nearly a foot in length.

Late 80’s
1987(?*): The Japanese Company Adventure Make (or AdVen) made a very simplified kit of the gun that could also have electronics. Several versions of this gun were made over the years and some versions seemed more similar to the OZ shop gun than possibly later versions. some of the parts also seemed to have been machined in plastic, while the triggers were cast in metal.
1989-early 90’s: John Marco of Marco Enterprises made one of the most successful versions of the gun by using an Oz Shop Gun (and or the AdVen gun) and adding new sound and light features and putting in a clear acrylic rod in the barrel to help create a flash effect. He also made a leather holster. To those who had only seen the movie on TV, this gun still looked accurate. It was very successful by also being featured in his mail order catalog with Star Wars prop replicas.
1989: a Japanese Fan Ryosuke Takagi (creator of Elfin Knights Project) creates several versions including one that incorporates a Kanamaru Charter Arms Bulldog airsoft. He also has a holster made that incorporates the inner spring from the idea of a “clam” style or “cross draw” holster. A Later version of this gun with the Charter Arms airsoft is featured in the Hobby Japan Autumn EX for 1993 and is called by some the 2020 L.A.P.D Police Gun. A small run of upgrade kits to fit the airsoft pistol were also made and sold by 'Ever Smile Company'. In 1989 he made a couple versions with the Kanamaru Charter Arms Bulldog airsoft, and one using an MGC "Colt Trooper" airsoft. These may be the first truly "Accurate" versions of the gun that did not use castings from a stunt gun directly, and that paired the Charter Arms Bulldog with the Steyr SL Parts.

Early 90’s
1992: Rick Ross is inspired by a publicity photo of the gun in Deckard’s holster to create a gun with clear amber grips, but it will be several years before his first version is finished.
[/color]1993: Shawn Morgan is asked by a replica prop seller for Universal Armor to fix or rebuild a multi-generational recast off of a “Stunt” gun and he builds a fairly accurate but smaller replica from scratch that will be taken apart and turned into hundreds of kits that are still “recast” today. The Gun was also used as a prop for the advertising artwork for the Westwood Blade Runner video game.

Mid 90’s
1996: Rick Ross is almost finished with his first version of the gun but after being able to compare it side by side with a Richard Coyle early version he decides to go in a different direction and make his own “reinterpretation” of the gun.
1996: Adam Savage makes a very small run of 10 resin kits based loosely on the Stunt Casts, that he gives out to friends and co workers.
1997: Rick Ross as Doppelganger Studios finishes his first Version and coins the term “PKD” (for Phillip K. Dick author of the novel that was the inspiration for BR) as the name for the gun. The name PKD will later become synonymous with all versions of the gun. He also almost simultaneously with Richard Coyle make the first replica BR guns with the clear amber grips. His kit also features the light up LED electronics in the clip. This model and Rick’s later model the PKD2 also become the most “recasted” of the BR gun kits. The PKD1 is also used as a model for the Japanese made Android Hunter action figure that is clearly meant to be Rick Deckard.
1997: Richard Coyle teams up with Phil Steinschneider to make the most accurate and most functional BR gun ever made. Using actual gun parts to make a master, they make the C&S 1. The gun has working bolt mechanism, Working and opening cylinder, Working Hammer and trigger, and of course light up LED electronics in the clip. Guns will be mostly made as built up which also helps to prevent “recasts” from being made to some degree.
1997(?*): ACK Trading Company (Los Angeles, CA), Made an infamous recast of Rick Ross's PKD as a one piece cast in clear resin with the parts just stuck on in wrong places. Most often called the "ugliest" or the "POS" blaster. It is dated 1997, but is more likely to have been made much later.

Late 90’s
1998-1999: Richard Coyle makes C&S v2 with rubber grips. Originally 12 were made, but 8 were recalled and made into version 3s with resin grips.
1999-2003: Richard Coyle C&S v3 made with minor variations in grips, screws and paint job throughout its run. It is probably the most common of the C&S versions.
1999: In October Craig Kovach started work on a fully functional hero fantasy version made with the authentic gun parts and metal castings with help of Richard Coyle and Phil Steinschneider. It was nicknamed the "Metal Initiative" by Phil.

Early 2000
2000: A fire in Rick Ross’s studio destroys molds and damages master of PDK1 so Rick develops PDK2 a design closer in size and look to the authentic prop.
2001: In April Craig Kovach finishes two fully working versions of the gun now called SL-DAPAS (Sensor Loading-Duplex Action Police Assault Sidearm). He spent nearly 500 hours each making possibly the ultimate “Hero Fantasy Guns”. One is owned by Craig, the other By Phil Steinschneider.
2001: Rick Ross uses leftover PKD1 kits and new parts to create 5 PKD Magnum built-ups. He also creates the snub blaster, metal upgrade parts for the PKD2, A special edition PKD2 built-up with metal grip frames, Takes off the Shimago Dominguez Corp and puts back the Pflager Katsumata series D to remove any movie connotation, and also makes a PKD3 which combines the PKD2 with the Snub grip.
2002: after 9/11 Rick Ross takes a break from making kits and sells his molds and masters of the PKD2 to EDC studios.
2003: Conety Kato working for Hartford Japan creates working airsoft and cap firing totally machined, production made guns influenced by the 1993 Japanese one-up and Richard Coyle’s C&S v3. Monsters in Motion later sells two “recast” all resin kit versions of this gun under the name M2019 before the Off-World version is made.
2003: Richard Coyle, after a thread on the RPF (Replica Prop Forum) using screen caps and group input, creates the more accurate C&S v4 in May. It includes black grip frame, black bottom grip butt plate with pinkie notch, a 5th red LED under clip, and green LED on the “sight rod”. The version 4 is updated again in July into the C&S.4.5, with LED holders in the clip, and again later with more accurate screws.
2003?-2004: Richard Coyle began work on an all metal version of the gun in late 2003.

Mid 2000’s
2005: SID Kit in Italy makes a mixed metal and resin copy of the C&S v3 with more metal parts and in kit form instead of a build up. It also updates the C&S design somewhat with a working thumb release for the cylinder. He also adds on a totally non-cannon working laser sight and later offers black rubber grips. “Recasts” of this gun are briefly sold by Sgt. Wilco Models until their origin is realized.
2006: In April 2006 Richard Coyle announces on the RPF and Bladezone his all metal Version of the C&S with Electronic lights and sound effects. 32 were made, 12 with two start up sound effects, and a second run in 2005 of 20 made with one start up sound effect ,and a voice track that said "Weapon Armed". In May 2006 he announces a Patrolman’s Special Version of the C&S v4 with black grips.
2006: SID Kit Italy offers an all metal Kit with even more updated parts including new grips. This kit is limited to a quantity of 250.
2006: In August during the Worldcon Science Fiction convention in Los Angeles the original “hero” gun is displayed and then photographed in detail by Karl Tate. It is the first public appearance known since the movie was finished.
2006: Off-World Mfg. makes a machined and production manufactured version of the gun. It contains die-cast and molded ABS plastic parts. It is sold Primarily through Monsters in Motion. It combines the functions and style of the C&S guns and the Hartford Japanese guns. It also takes off the Steyr markings to put on its own non-cannon, but movie inspired text.
2006: Rick Ross comes out of prop maker retirement to produce limited and updated versions of the PKD Snub kit and PKD Magnum.

Late 2000's
2006(?*)-2007: In February Richard Coyle announces the CS&T version of the gun that is even more accurate using the Worldcon photos. The “T” in the name is for Karl Tate, who first published the photos of the “Hero” and called Richard Coyle, who was able to come to see it for himself. Two versions of the gun are to be made including a mixed metal and resin and an almost all metal version that is essentially metal part for metal part, and plastic part for plastic part matching the “Hero” gun.
Late 2000's
2007: Richard Coyle makes his first Worldcon inspired kit with upgraded grips, buttplate, Weaver scope knob(available on request), and paint scheme finish.
2007: Elfin Knights Project in Japan Make a Limited mixed Metal and plastic(resin?) kit version based off of the worldcon photos.
2008: Richard Coyle and Sidkit both release Metal versions based on the worldcon photos. Sidkit makes all new grips, cylinder covers and butt
plate from scratch. Also many new parts were made from gun and other source parts loaned from from prop summit members and from help of the worldcon gun project thread on propsummit. Richard's "worldcon" gun also makes many new modifications from scratch, including the grip, barrel, and screw placements.
2008: Hartford Japan also makes it's first kit version of the BR gun in limited quantities. They also make a snub version based loosely on Noeland Collins designs.

2008: Elfin Knights Project makes a solid one piece "stunt" version based on the Worldcon pictures.
2008: Adven makes a simple kit made of 3 roughly cast metal parts, plastic grips and LED clip. (It is called a "paperweight" gun, but I am not sure of the actual translation). The year before they had also made an all metal version of Syd Mead's concept gun.

2008: The 'Tomenosuke Blaster' is developed in Japan. Shop owner and famous Japanese SF writer Shinji Nakako produces an attempt to make the most accurate and machined Blaster replica to date with the team of Nobutaka Toku (sculptor), Hidetsugu Shimada (proof maker), and help of Junichi Nizeki(Blade Runner blogger and superfan). A run of 200 is announced with a combination of kits and built up to be made by the end of 2008.
2008/2009: It is reported that Siderio Germaino (owner of SidKit) had passed away from a heart attack in October 2008. A coworker named Michelle takes over producing resin versions of the gun as well as other items previously produced by Siderio.
2009: The hero gun owned by Jeff Walker is listed for auction at Profiles in History, along with other Blade Runner items owned by Jeff.
It sells for $225,000 on May 1st.

Early 2010's
2009: Elfin Knights Project produces a MOS version of the blaster. An airsoft that uses a cartridge similar to a shotgun shell.
2009: Richard Coyle offers a kit version of his new and improved metal version of the hero/worldcon gun.
2010: Offworld Mfg. offers a new repainted and somewhat resculpted version of their gun with a new receiver, and some updated detail parts. It also included new box art in black.
2010: Tomenosuke teams with Marushin the replica airsoft gun manufacturer, to make a production version of the Tomenosuke version of the Worldcon replica gun, called the "Tomenosuke Pro". It uses injection molded mixed materials, including a lot of metal parts, but still has the plastic Bulldog receiver to accommodate Japanese and world gun laws. It may be the most meticulously created version of the gun ever made. It is certainly the most professional. Close to 1,000 are rumoured to be made.

2011: Tomenosuke also a limited number of 300 all black Police/Stunt versions of the Pro.
2011: Dave Goldberg goes truly high tech to make a snub version of the gun using CAD, CNC Machines and stereo lithography to make masters for a kit run (there is some info to show that Elfin Knights made their 2007 version this way, to a lesser degree). The kits also have some choice in parts including colors, and outside pattern.
2011: Tomenosuke announces a kit of the "Pro" version of the gun

2012: Rick Ross works on a version of his snub gun also using CAD and Stereo Lithography to make a kit version of his "Zhora Gun" that he is able to release the next year.
2012: Tomenosuke sells both an all Black "Police" version of their "Pro" gun, as well as another weathered version of their "Pro" version to look more like the "Worldcon" hero gun.
2013: Rick Ross's "Enforcer" (or Zhora gun), as well as several variations based on the snub are released in kit form as well as a new look to his Pflager Katsumata website.
2013: Richard Coyle announces his retirement from prop making to deal with health concerns.
2013: Tomenosuke officially starts taking orders for their "Kit" version of the Pro gun, complete with upgraded parts.

*citations and additional info needed

Last edited by andy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:09 am; edited 60 times in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are quite a few guns yet that I did not put in because of lack of identification, because they were just simple "Recasts", They were one-up customs, or they just weren't notable on their own. So if you can help with informatuion you feel is missing or inaccurate, please do. Pics and identification guide will hopefully come soon too.
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy from Austrailia who was making an all metal BR blaster called the Nexus 6 that was a forerunner to all the more detailed BR blasters(ie with the moveble revolver cylinder) that predates Rich's design by a year or so.He was taking order for this but nothing happened with this.It was on the RPF about 3 or 3.5 years ago.I'm sure someone remembers this one.Thanks
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a picture of the prototype on the BRprops site. I never found anything on the RPF though. Just the one pic on Shawn's site. Any more info on it would be great. Anybody have the name of the person who did it and how to get in touch with him?

andy
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this topic as a thread over at the RFP.One answer ishis name is John and he took a lot of fans for a ride.Go over to the RPF and look up the thread under the topic of Nexus 6.I hope this helps.Thanks
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tain669 wrote:
There was a guy from Austrailia who was making an all metal BR blaster called the Nexus 6 that was a forerunner to all the more detailed BR blasters(ie with the moveble revolver cylinder) that predates Rich's design by a year or so.He was taking order for this but nothing happened with this.It was on the RPF about 3 or 3.5 years ago.I'm sure someone remembers this one.Thanks

I do! I was within a hair of jumping on that bandwagon. IIRC it was to be a firing replica.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tain669 wrote:
I posted this topic as a thread over at the RFP.One answer ishis name is John and he took a lot of fans for a ride.Go over to the RPF and look up the thread under the topic of Nexus 6.I hope this helps.Thanks

I saw your thread, Thank you. I think They seem to be annoyed with all my BR questions because they usually get ignored. BR does seem tainted on the RPF at times.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the timeline.
jhyphen
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a similar controversy involving SD Studios taking $500 deposits for a metal version that was never produced. Not sure, but I think all the deposits were ultimately refunded, but it did take quite a while, and some people apparently almost got forgotten in the process.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
there are quite a few guns yet that I did not put in because of lack of identification, because they were just simple "Recasts", They were one-up customs, or they just weren't notable on their own. So if you can help with informatuion you feel is missing or inaccurate, please do. Pics and identification guide will hopefully come soon too.

Marco's BR is one of great interest to me. In fact I am intrigued by the entire Marco line of replica weapons. This guy turned out some pretty sweet stuff mainly by freezing frames on a VCR.

They were still around in the late 90's but more or less underground. I recall getting a mailer from them as late as '99.

Andy I'll get pics of my blasters shortly. I was ready to go, had my littlwe portable studio set up and had to stop. We are doing lifecasts and appliances for actors working on up and coming Cabin Fever 2. grunt work but may lead to more promising avenues.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Rick. I am not at the needing photo stage completely yet. I am just putting this together a little at a time. I have to much other stuff going on myself.

I did get info about the Marco being first offered in 89(with some catalog scans)...I still have no Idea if the Oz Shop came first or not.

I also recently got a lead on the Jupiter Built-Ups. I thought for a while they were clones of a Coyle but when I got better pics the "tells" of a stunt casting started to show up big time...the Steyr clip also says 223...instead of 222. It does remind me of my early Coyle though. I have to put up pics of that one more than I have in the ZH case thread.

I am also hoping somebody might help me with info on the Craig Kovach guns and maybe a way to get in touch with craig.

Conety has been hard to get any info out of too, so I am hoping Noeland can help me with that one.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhyphen wrote:
There was a similar controversy involving SD Studios taking $500 deposits for a metal version that was never produced. Not sure, but I think all the deposits were ultimately refunded, but it did take quite a while, and some people apparently almost got forgotten in the process.

This gun does seem cursed sometimes.
sycor
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that these are the OffWorld models but I noticed Park Sabers were selling a BR gun now:

http://www.parksabers.com/44cal.html
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sycor wrote:
I'm guessing that these are the OffWorld models but I noticed Park Sabers were selling a BR gun now:

http://www.parksabers.com/44cal.html

that's what they look like alright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: