FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Could I Vent About Prop Costs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsgfan12
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Could I Vent About Prop Costs? Reply with quote

I love Blade Runner collectibles as much as the next guy and there is a great metal spinner on ebay right now that I would love to own. It's already up to 360 with four days left and I'm sure there's going to be a lot of activity at the end. The last one was up about a month ago and went for $450.

I guess I'm frustrated that so many people have so much more money to spend on these props. That's a lot of money for what amounts to a cool decoration. Does anyone else share these frustrations or am I just poor?

Thanks for listening.
________
No2 vaporizers

Last edited by bsgfan12 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, do I hear ya!
Admittedly, I'm much more into SW than BR, but every single day, I swear, I'll see stuff that I could drop thousands of dollars on.
I have to be careful what I spend my "prop budget" on, too. It's frustrating sometimes.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me started...It really is why I have gotten into "creating" things.
And I am reminded that I have a wonderfully creative girl-friend.
bsgfan12
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean that person that bought the Coyle blaster for $1500! That is a lot of disposable income that you don't need for things like oh, I don't know, food and electricity.

Then there's the whole spouse issue. My wife is very understanding, but she does not get at all how I could be willing to spend so much for these things. And while I am very upfront I can't say there has never been a time when I shaved a 100 or so off what I spent.

Somebody has a great quote on the RPF. It goes something like: As the UPS guy is delivering yet another box, the wife says, "Let me guess, this one cost $100 too."
________
TOYOTA HILUX SURF HISTORY

Last edited by bsgfan12 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the trend towards metal props certainly hasn't helped the prices.

However, I think artists are for the most part underpaid. As long as the funds are going directly to them, I have no problem commissioning a piece. And yes, the All-Metal Coyle that just sold is freakin' way overpriced as is that spinner on eBay (it was about $90 just a day ago).
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely feel your pain. My "props budget" is pretty non-existent, so watching the pieces that I'd love to have go flying off to others with bigger wallets can be frustrating. But, prices are what the market will bear. If Johnny Deeppockets is out buying CS&T Blasters this week and can afford to pay $1,500.00 for one, then that's the current market value. But another may come up next week (month, whatever) and it may only fetch $250.00 because Johnny's already got his and the other "Big Spenders" might be on vacation, and so that becomes the new market value. My advice is to sit tight and keep your eyes peeled. One will show up that's in your price range and you'll get one then. And, you can be content in the knowledge that Ol' Johnny will probably never recoup his "investment".

Oh, and this kind of discussion is probably more suited to The Coffee Shop, so I'm going to move it there.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, props seem to get more expensive with age, add to that scarcity and you've got a pretty hefty price tag. It'd be nice to have that kind of disposable income. All the same, it does make you treasure the props you do have all the more.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, any hobby you get into can be expensive. I collect real firearms alongside my prop firearms, and it's also very expensive. Films, airsoft, paintball, comic books, photography, athletics. Whatever you might have a passion for can be pricey. Is there really such a thing as disposable income. Paying your bills comes first, but, unless you own your home as an investment, you're never gonna see that money again.

If you feel that props don't amount to much besides a pricey decoration, well, personally I think that's a cynical and negative way to look at it, and would recommend you find a cheaper way to decorate your house! Wink

Venting about the prices on an internet message board sure ain't gonna lower them.

There is a reason they cost what they cost, and it's because people will pay it, but also, they tend to be labor intensive for the makers. But if you're smart about it, there are always ways to save money.

Like Once Bitten said, get into sculpting, casting, and building your own props. You save money, but it costs you lots and lots more time.

But you probably already know all this. Smile

My biggest beef with the prices of props is really that I want too many different ones for it to be reasonable! Smile
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:

If you feel that props don't amount to much besides a pricey decoration, well, personally I think that's a cynical and negative way to look at it, and would recommend you find a cheaper way to decorate your house! Wink

Amen.

My view is that art improves your life. Props are a fun form of art that most everyone can appreciate and "get" immediately without much explanation. Certainly there are better things to invest in than art, but art makes your life better (and you only live once).
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I define 'disposable income' as: having so much money that dropping $1500+ on a prop doesn't financially impact you at all.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
bsgfan12
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I meant to sound cynical calling the spinner a decoration, merely trying to get over the fact that I'm not personally going to be able to buy that metal spinner that prompted my post.

Speaking of which, does anyone have one they want to sell?

Does anyone know when those were originally available? I agree they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, but I would be curious to know what the original price was?
________
Mexico Hotels

Last edited by bsgfan12 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I saw the Die Cast Spinner was at Comet Miniatures at over 500 pounds. Now they are selling at 300 pounds, and it seems to equal out because of the weakness of the dollar. Go figure.

http://www.comet-miniatures.com/browse.php?s_categ=15&zone=14&
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all relative though isn't it?

I thought little of what I dropped on the Coyle WorldCon blaster. I don't consider myself 'lucky' in any way shape or form - because I work damn hard for what I earn!

Yet, some people I know buy two to three watches per month, each costing upwards of $4,000. I'm sick with envy of course - so you see, it's all relative isn't it? Smile

bsgfan12
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Thanks for the link. That's why I love this place. At least there is another option out there.
Thanks much
________
BMW 503

Last edited by bsgfan12 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
jedeyenight
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is relative.
But if you look at it this way,using the BR gun as an example.
There are many tiers that are available to the fans.
Rick offered his Pk-d mag kits for 90.00 bucks, an affordable AWESOME artistic interpretation of the sidearm we all know and love and an easy build with little prep needed.
The 2019's are around 200.00 and with some elbow grease turn out great and somewhat accurate.
Then we get to metal versions (Sid's, Rich's) which require either more work or more money.
It all comes down to how much money and/or time you have to invest.
But there is something for everyone.

Ain't I an optimist? Smile

Frank
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, all the guns have their pluses and minuses. Many of them are worth owning. It all depends what you are looking for. I spent a lot of time researching them all (what I have found so far became the "Timeline/History" project), and that was before I owned more than a couple of them. Now I own more than 15 of them, and I like things about them all. If I could afford them all I would buy them all. The big questions are...Do you want more accuracy to the worldcon, to what is percieved on screen, Or an idealized version of both, and are you willing to build a kit and or customize what you have, and them most importantly what are you willing or able to pay?
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want anyone to blame it would have to be all the 'outsiders' who wandered into the hobby.

Non-industry collectors fuelled that fire. Let's not forget that prop collecting was akin to 'dumpster diving' a couple of decades ago...actually it [i]WAS[/i] dumpster diving as recently as a couple of decades ago...and that was for real props!

Demand drives pricing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: