FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Sean Young in The Guardian

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Sean Young in The Guardian Reply with quote

The UK Guardian often has interesting articles. The upcoming release of BR has been of interest. This article is an email interview with Sean Young. She comes off rather bad, as one would expect, although the writer seems sympathetic.

The writer also seems to think (wrongly) that the female characters do not get enough attention from critics. I don't think that is true. I think that especially the importance of Rachael and Pris are fully recognized.

I'm not certain it's worth going through the some 500 comments, although I have to say that I generally enjoy Guardian comments!

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/mar/26/blade-runner-sean-young-interview

Tony
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Tony...interesting article. Ah Young; complicated for sure, independent to a fault and not the kind to take it and roll over (don't think that she's the kind turning the other cheek). She's simply getting even with what has happened in her career (Lord knows that Hollywood is not particularly kind to women in the first place).

I wish her well
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wish her well. Despite an unfortunate career, much of it self imposed, she will always and forever be Rachael - her stunning but tragically underrated feature film debut. I can't imagine anyone else ever playing that role...
Phil_Resch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to live down the rumor that you super glued James Wood's penis to his leg, and the whole cat woman incident. Stunning performance in BR however.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she was perfect as Rachael and also I think she is a sad case.

I think her complaints about women and Hollywood are a bit much. There seem to be a lot of women who have had success and long careers in Hollywood who don't complain as much.

And there are a number of male actors who became unemployable due to behavior, including Elliot Gould (post-MASH) for whom studios were unable to obtain insurance for some time.

And as the good Hunter S. Thompson said: “No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

Tony
Sheehan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article. I noticed Young even posted it on her own facebook page, so I'm assuming she agrees with most of it. Hollywood can be a tough place for anyone, and it seems she's had a bit of bad luck and missed opportunities over the years. But she should be very proud of her performance as Rachel. Very hard to imagine anyone else in her place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: