FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daigoro
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Questions... Reply with quote

Two questions bothering me a long time, someone might know the answers.

First: in the movie the first scene where Roy Beatty appers (rendezvous with Leon) is the same scene
where Roy meets with Tyrell, just mirrored a picture (notice Tyrell`s finger on Roy`s shoulder)
so, why it is? Roy thinking about his inevitable future? or just a substitution of a forgotten scene? or...?

Roy Battys first apperance (images taken from US Theatrical Cut) :

Roy Batty at Tyrell`s:

Second: the scene where Leon attacks Deckard, who pulls out his blaster, but Leon simply smash it out from his hand,
at this point the movie skips some frames (maybe half a second), just look at the smokes, its clearly jumps. its noticable in all
versions of the film, even in the original trailer.
Why this cut out from the movie? Maybe the real blaster changed for a stunt one in the skipped moments? or the makers simply cut out some damaged film cells from the movie?

and the bonus question: the eye in the opening scene... who`s eye? Smile

Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yep, they utilized a few seconds of the Tyrell scene, to create a reaction shot for the scene with Leon. Probably saved them some money, not to shoot an additional scene.

2. They removed several frames from that scene to make it appear that Leon's reaction was super-quick (faster than the camera could see).

3. I always assumed it was Batty, but my understanding is that the eye belongs to Holden.
SSB
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, in the Final Cut, that Vid-Phone scene is zoomed in so you can't see the finger.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye!

They digitally removed Tyrell's hand in recent cuts.

Frames where removed to give Leon's slap more speed.

These kind of editorial tricks are used in just about every film.

Recently there is a Close reaction shot of Ronan in Guardians right after he Demolished the Xander Shield/blockade of ships that is from earlier in the film.
Bucky Cat
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread.

As to the question about whose eye is in the opening sequence, I originally thought was Holden. However, I'd swear in Paul Sammon's excellent "Future Noir" I thought he quoted Ridley saying that it was sort of Big Brother. Everyone is being watched in the film, even the audience.

Interesting stuff. Guess that's why we are still discussing the film all these years later.

Ted.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions were answered pretty well here, I can only add that in the script, the "Eye" was in fact labeled as Holden's, but there was also a panel in the story boards labeled a "reflection of Holden in eye" (Leon's?). You can find that story board in the extras of the 30th anniversary set image archive.

It was supposed to be Holden's eye as he looked down upon the fiery "Hades" industrial landscape. You can even see him looking out the window as you zoom in on the pyramid into the interrogation office. Unfortunately the windows are far to high up for him to be looking anywhere except toward the sky. It is very likely classic Ridley Scott caring more for how cool it looks on screen than how well it helps the narrative. Also the eye we see is a different color than Morgan Paul's. In the old days small little details didn't matter that much because people weren't expected to be watching the movie a million times over, and VHS was still relatively new. This movie became one on that cusp where fanatics would get copies of the film and watch certain scenes over and over again in their own homes instead of dark film libraries. It is probably why the film became such an underground cult film because of all these surreal moments that are either simple editing continuity errors, or some hidden deeper meaning (Illuminati Eye Pyramid combo) . In the end, it is what makes it almost an unintended art film, and I agree that it works best as psychological symbol to indicate oppression and surveillance, as well as maybe a double meaning connecting also to the thematic questions of identity and soul.

Andy
Pro Mod
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading a long time ago that the actor whose eye they were filming didn't co-operate that well and kept moving around and blinking (probably something to do with have enormous lights pointed directly into his eye!!). As a result the person doing the filming actually stood in himself as he was the one who understood the complexities of what was actually required for such a difficult shot.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that it was Shawn Young's. There's a pic when she's sitting down and in front of her is a bizarre "machine" (maybe some kind of camera) pointing at her eye...would that be that sequence? (she's not wearing her costume btw and she's surrounded by 2 men Confused
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tried to photograph the actor's eyes all close up for the VK machine, but ended up using footage filmed for scientific study IIRC. I have never seen the photo joberg is talking about, but do remember pics of her being shot in close up for her Vidphon scene. Not sure if that is the one you are talking about.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pics are on 1187 Hunterwasser.tumblr.com/ and click on the second page at the bottom right hand side.
She's sitting with her head on some type of contraption (not to move I guess), in front of her, a camera with an extended lens (red) and mounted on some kind of "turn table". She's not wearing her BR hairdo either, nor any costume...but she's smoking.
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post the picture(s)? All I get at that URL is an error page..
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are originally from the Douglas Trumbull website and are huge so please click to view.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/4979bd5c5bbaff1aee201c50d6c9139b/tumblr_n02vn7LxPE1qdkmano1_1280.jpg

http://40.media.tumblr.com/01de2e7bc33c620eb2719ca8ee4c0c4b/tumblr_n02vn7LxPE1qdkmano4_1280.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/eb63793043d583df1798c6c2086f543a/tumblr_n02vn7LxPE1qdkmano2_1280.jpg

http://40.media.tumblr.com/3a31aaabcb6b4bc9ef5a7da23c7252c1/tumblr_n02vn7LxPE1qdkmano3_1280.jpg

the url for the website and photos...
http://1187hunterwasser.tumblr.com/post/74756211871

home page...
http://1187hunterwasser.tumblr.com

Andy
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost positive these shots are for the VK close ups, and also why she is smoking in them.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible Andy and since they only needed the eye portion...
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very reliable source told me,
"Actually those behind the scenes shots are Rachel's eye close up on the VK video monitor…"
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was supposed to be Holden's eye as he looked down upon the fiery "Hades" industrial landscape.

http://propsummit.com/upload/696/188yabrbzvqswjpg.jpg
the same source I mentioned previously said this about the eye..
Quote:
"not sure...its a close up of actor Morgan Paull who plays Holden so it might be him"

Still a crap shoot I guess..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: