FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Abbyshot Deckard trench coat Version 2 - Let's discuss
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your photos and commentaries Loyal they give a good help to appreciate the stuff...
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great descriptions of the abbyshot coat! as you said, I do have the luxury of making each garment individually without the pressures of production. I have been down the road of sewing full time, and it's not something I would do again (at least, not without a few minions). So cheers for anyone who can make this a full-time job without going broke or insane.

I understand the sleeve length issue; it's something I wondered about. The conundrum is how to give the bunchy effect above the wrist without having the sleeves hang too long? Short of making the cuffs so tight as to cut off circulation, it's a toss-up. Again, the benefits of making something exactly to fit.

With the collar, I wondered for a long time if the original had a ribbed (like corduroy) fabric or was a textured piece. In the end, I couldn't find two fabrics that matched so that solved that question. If I could have found the ribbing you find on bomber jacket collars (in the right color), I probably would have used it. But I'm glad I didn't because I love the way it turned out.

And because I'm picky, and based in input from all y'all, I'm working on another version in a fabric closer to the screen used version. So of course, I will be posting more pics once I get knee-deep in that. Which should be soon, because my type-A side is starting to get the best of me.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bunchy effect around the wrists is a result of the suit coat underneath the overcoat causing the fabric to bunch up. I've wondered a few times if the wrist straps on Deckards coat weren't set up like the ones on an oilskin duster, where if you button it one way the cuff is loose, and if you button it the other way the cuff is snugged. Hard to describe it lol.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right about the fullness in the sleeve. I gave just 1/2" extra length, which was easily filled out by the shirt and blazer underneath.

And yes, absolutely about the adjustable tightness on the cuff cinches! I have seen (and made) other coats with two sets of buttons, but have been stymied by why this coat would have all the bits to be adjustable but only have one set. I have toyed with the idea of moveable buttons, which would work like french cuff tacks. But then you have a detail on the repro that doesn't appear on the original.

When I do have to make a change, I prefer to leave something off than add something on. Then you're in the catagory of 'inspired by' instead of reproduction. So I have chosen to err on the side of having the cuffs always snug. If anyone gets a good closeup of the cuffs off the new DVD, please please forward it to me.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think theres a couple of shots during the Bradbury chase that you can see the cuffs pretty well, I think there's one where the cuff has clearly come unbuttoned, but I can't say for sure if you can see how it buttons. I'll post some screens later when I get home.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Loyal,
You may also be thinking about the scene when Deck comes back to his appartment ...I'm pretty sure theres a shot where one of his cuff straps is hanging completely loose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: