FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard Wallet Discussion (New Discoveries Inside from DVD)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastMaster wrote:
great stuff! really like the Tyrell cards Very Happy

The red on the keycard was the kanji/katana text which was probably printed on a transparent overlay (like the white areas of the vidphon card) thus that is the "creased" layer with the edges you see on the card in the movie.

Could be. We originally thought the card itself had been laminated, but it could be an overlay layer.

However, I still think that the card used is too thin and flexible to be an actual Ving. Inspired by, is my thought.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes indeed. I guess the only thing it has in common with the ving are the holes.

The key card to me looks to be hand-cut grey plasticard, with a transparent graphics overlay and a red kanji overlay on top of that (cut slightly smaller than the card) What I don't get is how they printed white onto transparencys?

I'm completely mythed by the greek on back Confused
I guess some things will just remain a mystery.....unless spinner can tug that southwell grape-vine again Wink
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not white plasti-card with the grey as part of the overlay?
For my part, I think it's probably just card with a bromide (copy proof) spray mounted to the surface and maybe another clear laminate. I can't see that the Kanji needs be on a separate layer and certainly not rubylith. Cutting the kanji shapes, especially the smaller ones (if my interpretation is correct) would try the patience of a saint!
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just so amazing!! As for the "Greek" on the back of the card, I am wondering if this has anything to do with Tyrell Corp and some of the architecture that was utilized there, to me it does seem to have a bit of a greek style influence, then again I could be wrong:

Thank you Anson and John for those wonderful images!!!
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Greek. The term is often used in applying dummy text to a comp. It fills space. Very much like Lorem Ipsum.

-
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinner44.com wrote:
Regarding Greek. The term is often used in applying dummy text to a comp. It fills space. Very much like Lorem Ipsum.

-

Please ignore my previous post then Awesome insight John!
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
Why not white plasti-card with the grey as part of the overlay?
For my part, I think it's probably just card with a bromide (copy proof) spray mounted to the surface and maybe another clear laminate. I can't see that the Kanji needs be on a separate layer and certainly not rubylith. Cutting the kanji shapes, especially the smaller ones (if my interpretation is correct) would try the patience of a saint!

My theory is that looking at the vidphon card it looks as if the white lettering is some kind of transfer, placed onto a clear acetate and overlayed onto a black painted clear plastic base.

The keycard could be created in the same manner using a common grey plasticard underneath with the black and white graphics transfer on top.

The kanji is probably (like the vidphon card) red transfer applied to clear acetate. This was stuck on top of the card at the last minute as we can see the card was intentionaly made without the kanji.

Quote:
Listening to Tom Southwell in the Dangerous Days doc he says that Ridley asked for an additional piece which was red to be stuck on the Key card
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own investigations into printing white on black/clear plastic, I've learned that its usually done using what's called a dye sublimation printer, which is what allows for printing in white ink. Expensive to say the least.

I think BeastMaster is right about the card being white/grey with a black transparency over top would be easier and faster to do, not to mention less expensive. Which I'm guessing less expensive was the keyword for some of the background props in BR.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
BeastMaster wrote:
great stuff! really like the Tyrell cards Very Happy

The red on the keycard was the kanji/katana text which was probably printed on a transparent overlay (like the white areas of the vidphon card) thus that is the "creased" layer with the edges you see on the card in the movie.

Could be. We originally thought the card itself had been laminated, but it could be an overlay layer.

However, I still think that the card used is too thin and flexible to be an actual Ving. Inspired by, is my thought.

That was the thing that got me about the ving card is that how thin it actually was. It was thinner than a credit card exept at the thicker part.
SSB
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one DVD cap of the card sketch has some notes regarding construction... Though the final card may have been executed in a different fashion. Would they have had custom dry transfers made? Those could have been made in black & white, then applied over one another. ... Also, a careful artist may have simply drawn the kanji on the card with a red marker.

... Does anyone else think that the images of the Vid Phon cards seem to suggest a metallic gold foil for the 'historically' yellow areas?

-Mike
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSB wrote:
... Does anyone else think that the images of the Vid Phon cards seem to suggest a metallic gold foil for the 'historically' yellow areas?

-Mike

Actually that is what Tom Southwell told me when I interviewed him. As a matter of fact you will see a new Vid-Phon card replica emerging shortly with the gold mylar. Smile
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP!

The back of the VidPhon card!

Oh well, I'm still happy with my spinner44 version. But I can see some new ones in the works soon......

This is all excellent info, thanks to everyone posting such sweet stuff. I'm amazed that they would go into such detail in those DVDs.

I actually just got more excited for the release, which I didn't think was possible.

10 more days....
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSB wrote:

-Mike

Nice observation! Very Happy I was wondering about the yellowness in the middle. It all makes sense now, the yellow graphic on the front is infact gold! very cool Cool

I'm thinking back to phils wallet project, didn't he mention something about gold foil being used for the vidphon card in his update diary?

spinner: have you allready updated the back of your new card?
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mention the gold mylar a while back as Southwell told me. And yes, the back ov my new one has been updated.

Look for the new one with gold mylar as it will be available soon. Smile
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff! looking forward to this release Very Happy
SSB
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a review of the 5-disc set over at The Digital Bits, and I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer amount of stuff there will be.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bladerunnerfinalallver01.html

-Mike
moogybaby
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
keycard - "Greek on back".

Hmm. I'm trying (and failing) to think of any other use of Greek in BR graphics.

"Greeking" is a publishing term used to describe the insertion of generally meaningless text(often in Latin, strangely enough) in order to demonstrate a style layout.

In this case, "Greeking" would mean non-specific text to fill out the space on the card in order to make it look real.

Tom
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see Charles de Lauzirika's avatar on BladeZone ?...I think it could be the real Deckard's ID used in the movie, furthermore, there is a deleted scene on the 4th bonus dvd where Deckard better shows his id than in the scenes we already know ( without spoiling anything lol !! )

Phil
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSB wrote:
I just read a review of the 5-disc set over at The Digital Bits, and I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer amount of stuff there will be.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bladerunnerfinalallver01.html

-Mike

Sweet Jesus.

I'm on the last page, reading about disc 4.....

The say that there's a documentary focusing on all of the obscure background street details like parking meters and signs, to other things like badges and wardrobe...

This really is THE definitive release of ANYTHING BR. This will obviously never be topped. We're getting a close up look at any and every obscure detail pertaining to props an design. This is a GOLDMINE of info. I'm salivating! I'm obviously not into making props myself - just observing and buying for me - but you prop makers....oh goodness....you guys are in for such a treat now.
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. . . I just spent about 30 minutes reading the entire Digitalbits review.
I've already asked Santy Claws for the 'Ultimate' 5 disc set. So we'll see if my Christmas wish will come true. Really can't wait!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: