FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Bronze Buddha heads in Deckard’s apartment. Good match!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheehan
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
The reason I believe they had been called "Thai Buddha heads" is that many of the replicas of these where made in Thailand, but the styles were of unknown origin. I have seen similar variations throughout Asia. The thing I find interesting is the near total resemblance of these compared the the ones in the film including the stands. When I did the research on these originally, I found similar ones, including antique ones. The antique ones especially had great variety, and would usually only find one version of each, while the more modern replicas seem to be found more in numbers. It brings us back to the possibility that one ore both of these may actually be the one(s) from the film. The other options are that the antique ones themselves were made in numbers, or they are high end replicas, at least 33 years old. Could be made for export early/mid 20th century even, or even museum replica. I do find mis marked replicas at antique shops all the time. Most dealers are not experts, or are only experts in a field or two.

Whatever they are, if they aren't the same ones from the fim they likely came from the same source. This in my mind makes them more valuable despite their possible age.

Andy

Gosh, I hope you're right Andy! The Japanese Buddha I have is most definitely old. You can tell by looking closely, especially when pulling it off it's stand and having a good look underneath. The Chinese head looks much newer, but might just be old enough to have been around in 1981, but who knows.

This does bring up an interesting question though. What happened to all the original items in Deckard's apartment? I assume they would have ended up in storage, and eventually got auctioned off, or ended up being used as props in other films. Fascinating to ponder it.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've answered your own question Sheehan Wink
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the thread revival but I've been after these for a little while and I have had some success. I've found two of them - one is the same as one from the film and another "flat top" version that appears to be from the same "set."

I will point out that some information from the original Ebay listing (that Sheehan found) was almost certainly incorrect... "It is a fragment of an ancient statue. The bottom of the head appears to have been cut or trimmed for better mounting onto a carved wood base."

Considering that Sheehan has a set, Anders two sets and myself, one set, (still on the hunt for "pointy top") it's highly unlikely that they were part of a larger statue and were ALL broken or cut down and put on the exact same base. I've also seen some auctions of others that were all cut off at the same point on the neck.

I WOULD like to know indeed how old they are. All of the listings that I have seen seem to think pre-1800, but the information that Anders mentioned that he got from experts in the other thread seems to suggest otherwise.

Such mystery in these elusive little guys.(gals)
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find it unlikely that they were cut off a larger statue.... Why are there so many then that look exactly the same? As you mention...

They're (all three types that we know of) most likely produced in greater numbers within the last 100-200 years in China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: